Breaking in new motor, oil change.

16 hours ago, Hoginedgewood said:

I have 300 miles so far on the 22 2500HD gas. My dealer does lifetime oil changes, every 6 months. Im thinking 1,000 miles I'll change the fluid and filter just because. Any body else feel this way?

It can’t hurt to go early. I've never had a dealer advised me to do so. Everyone claims they’re money grubbers. There’re missing this one. 

Edited by KARNUT

I generally do my first oil change at 1,000 mi on a new truck. 

I changed the oil on my 2022 2500 L8T last night at 1,250 mi.  Afterwards I ran a large magnet in the bottom of the 8qt of used oil and found no metal shavings whatsoever which is a first for me!

I will change it again at 5,000 mi and then 5,000 miles from here on out like i have always.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I always do the first oil change around 1,000 miles. Next, at 5k miles. Then, every 5k going forward. While it likely makes little meaningful difference verse running a normal interval prior to the first change, it still makes me feel better. 

One thing I do believe makes a long term difference is greasing the front end early on. These trucks have hardly any grease in the front end when they come off of the lot. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ssgballistics said:

I always do the first oil change around 1,000 miles. Next, at 5k miles. Then, every 5k going forward. While it likely makes little meaningful difference verse running a normal interval prior to the first change, it still makes me feel better. 

One thing I do believe makes a long term difference is greasing the front end early on. These trucks have hardly any grease in the front end when they come off of the lot. 

Where are you finding information on exactly where to apply grease (fittings and other locations) and what type to use?  Thanks

5 hours ago, Another JR said:

Where are you finding information on exactly where to apply grease (fittings and other locations) and what type to use?  Thanks

I use Lucas Red-n-tacky. Manual calls for NLGI #2, LB or GCLB. There are 9 fittings. Below is a good thread on it. Take the front skid plate off to get to the pitman and idler arm fittings easier. I did have to get a longer hose for my grease gun so I could reach them. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you swap out the grease fittings on the Idler and the Pittman arm for 90 degree ones you can get grease into them without dropping the skid plate, its been a while since I bought some but I believe they are metric. I bought an assortment and just used what fit. 

1 hour ago, 64BAwagon said:

If you swap out the grease fittings on the Idler and the Pittman arm for 90 degree ones you can get grease into them without dropping the skid plate, its been a while since I bought some but I believe they are metric. I bought an assortment and just used what fit. 

Are you talking about the metal skid plate or that plastic plate forward of it? I got to all the fittings just fine and only took off that plastic plate with the four bolts. 

The car shows on TV take a new build and put it on a dyno. No break in and lots of money. A dyno test I recently watched was a new LS motor, straight from the shop the the dyno tuner. RPM's from idle to over 6k. 

I stick by, you get a good motor or a bad one. Roll of the dice.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

The car shows on TV take a new build and put it on a dyno. No break in and lots of money. A dyno test I recently watched was a new LS motor, straight from the shop the the dyno tuner. RPM's from idle to over 6k. 

I stick by, you get a good motor or a bad one. Roll of the dice.

The drive it like you stole it method. Opinions on motor break-in are all over the map, I have yet to see definitive proof of whether one method is superior to another. Do it however it makes you feel the most comfortable. It is far more important to properly "bed-in" the brakes on a new vehicle and break in the ring and pinion gears (the main reason for GM's recommendation against towing during the first 500 miles) than to endure sleepless nights worrying about motor break-in.