Oil Filter Removal tool

Stuff a blue paper shop towel or two in the end of your cap wrench. Then it won’t skip anymore, provided you have the right size of cap wrench to begin with. I went to the auto parts store, got one of my preferred oil filters out of the box, and went through all of the cap wrenches hanging on the rack to find the one that fit tightest. Metal ones are best, as the plastic ones can flex and skip. 

Put the cap wrench on the filter first, then insert the ratchet extension just far enough to turn it. Don't push it in all the way or the cap won't fit tight on the filter flutes....

This could be why the cap does not fit...extension is not letting cap wrench all the way onto the filter.  Been there.....spacer.png

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 2

A hefty flat blade screwdriver and a hammer works! I HATE they tell you tighten 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn after it makes contact but the factory ones seem to be tightened with an impact gun! You should never need a tool to get it off if you put it on right and put a film of oil on the gasket as instructed! My factory filter when I took it off:

IMG_20210708_204445.jpg

Nothing is left to chance in the engine assembly plants and much is automated so likely no human hands touched it.

The revised installation specification for all spin-on oil filters PF64, PF63, PF48, PF66, UPF64R, UPF63R, UPF48R and UPF66R is:

1. Lubricate the new oil filter gasket with clean engine oil.
  2. Install the oil filter one (1) full turn after the gasket makes contact with the sealing surface on the filter mounting flange. If installing with a torque wrench, it should be approximately 10 Nm of torque
Edited by elcamino

I have a rubber band wrench, steel band wrench, oil filter sockets, etc. and the best tool yet has been this....

https://www.amazon.com/Wittyware-Universal-Filter-Wrench-Adjustable/dp/B0761MQ4WL/ref=asc_df_B0761MQ4WL/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312280085431&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5537740697557830090&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027723&hvtargid=pla-586654575115&psc=1

It is hands down the absolute best oil filter REMOVAL tool and works every time, regardless of the filter size.  However, do not try to install an oil filter with it, it will crush the sides of the filter where the prongs make contact if your not paying attention.

I know the brand says ToolWiz, but for this tool the brand doesn't matter, they all work the same and utilize low force thresholds.

Filter Tool.jpg

Edited by Gangly
Additional Information Provided
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RedLT said:

I went testing oil filter wrenches in Auto Zone and ended up with the bent wrench worked great given the limited space getting to the filter.

Wrench.PNG

The is the only thing I ever use, your not going to save the filter so I will squeeze the ****** out of the gripping point and form indentations that the teeth dig into. I have yet to have a need for any other filter wrench on my 10+ vehicles I have had in the last decade.

I use the strap one above and the 3 prong toolwiz also. I think anyone not owning a 3.0 does not undertand why he is asking?? The filter is in a terrible position to get a normal oil filter wrench in there. Also slip up and your breaking an aluminum oil line too. Its definitely a PITA, but with the right tool and being careful not a big deal. Regular oil filter wrench just wont fit in there.