Z71 package and Towing

Getting ready to order 2024 3500HD SRW Silverado High Country and am wondering if I need to add the Z71 package to the truck to aid in the ride while towing a 13000 lb. 5th wheel. Do I really need that as the ride will probably be rough enough with or without it? Will have the 5th wheel prep package and the standard 20" tires.

Z71 isn't a towing aid package.  Its Rancho shocks, skid plates and hill descent control.  

What you SHOULD order is either F44 heavy front spring or VYU plow prep to increase the front axle weight rating to ensure the highest payload.  

Edited by newdude

The ride is the same between Z85 and Z71.  

There are two packages that increase the FGAWR and front torsion bar size:  F60 Heavy Front Suspension / Camper Pkg and VYU Snow plow prep / Camper Pkg.  If you are ordering a diesel 4wd, both of these packages will give you the same 6000 lb fgawr and same torsion bar increase.  Neither of these will increase your payload.  The only benefit you may see is less pitch when stopping or starting.  Your unload ride would be worse.   I personally don't think F60 or VYU is really necessary in that weight range for fifth wheel.

#iworkforGM

I would recommend you only buy the camper springs or snowplow package if you determine you really need it due to loading of the front axle.

I ordered the camper springs on my truck (400 lbs heavier FGAWR of 5600 lbs) because i was planning to install a lightweight truck camper, and wanted the flexibility to potentially get a heavier one later.  After weighing the truck with and without my pop up camper I found the camper only put 100 lbs on the front axle.  I also soon decided I would not ever get a bigger truck camper.

With the camper springs and no significant added load on the front axle, the front suspension response was noticeably stiffer than the rear even with the truck empty. I addition to being generally annoying, it made the front pitch up going over dips at highway speed. I spent the $600 for the standard 5200 lb springs for my model (cclb gas) and installed them myself, and it rides better and has well matched front and rear suspension response.  

Although I dont have another truck to compare it to I ordered my 2021 3500 srw with the Z71 and the camper front springs. My guess would be that the unloaded ride was a little stiffer but thats not an issue for me. I grew up with the straight axle trucks in the 70's so a stiff ride doesnt bother me. I towed a 12k fifth wheel on several long trips and I thought it handled it pretty well. I dont think the heavy front springs help much with a fifth wheel though but I ordered my 2024 with them mostly for resale due to the increase in capacity. 

As far as the Z71, I bought that on both trucks due mostly to the skids plates. I have no frame of reference on the difference in the shocks between the std and the Rancho. All in all I thought it rode pretty well, so well I ordered the exact same setup on my 2024. 

• Like 1

owned both Z71 and non. makes no difference for towing.....just shocks

they both ride about same, i cant tell......but the ranchos are coming off soon

It’s been awhile since I’ve owned a Z-71. The few I had came with 373 gears. That definitely helped with acceleration and yes towing. Of course GM is known to eventually being sticker or badge happy. While dropping the original intent of the badging. 

6 hours ago, KARNUT said:

It’s been awhile since I’ve owned a Z-71. The few I had came with 373 gears. That definitely helped with acceleration and yes towing. Of course GM is known to eventually being sticker or badge happy. While dropping the original intent of the badging. 

It’s rancho shocks, skid plates, hill decent control and last but certainly not least, a shiny badge. They all have 3.73’s