87 cheaper than E85

I was filling up my truck yesterday 12/26 in Dubuque, IA. The Kwik Start had E85 priced at $2.99 and 87 octane (10% blend) priced at $2.97. I never thought I'd see the day where ethanol was more expensive than regular fuel. Just thought i'd share with everyone.

I guess it depends on the amount of government subsidy on E85. I'm no expert but from what I understand the only way E85 can be cheaper than straight gas at current oil prices is subsidy?

I checked the % ethanol in my 93 octane in the truck (by reading what the truck computer says) and got 3.9%. The pump says contains "up to 10%". I wonder how accurate the truck % ethanol calculation is?

What are you talking about? I'm not aware of any way for the truck to tell ethanol content without a scan tool

I read the parameter out of the ECM with a Diablo Trinity through the OBDII port. What I don't know is how the truck measures or calculates % ethanol.

What are you talking about? I'm not aware of any way for the truck to tell ethanol content without a scan tool

I read the parameter out of the ECM with a Diablo Trinity through the OBDII port. What I don't know is how the truck measures or calculates % ethanol.

Read the refueling events sticky. Newer models play with ignition timing to determine ethanol content or something. Interesting about the Trinity being able to pull that data.

It should be pretty accurate. I know they cut back the ethanol percentage during the winter months on E85. I guess they could do that for the 93 as well.

The minimum ehtanol content for E85 is 70%

(sorry meant to quote you and hit the edit button, I didnt edit anything in your post)

ethanol is under huge amounts of heat around here(we have i believe 2 or 3 ethanol plants)

the one closest to me was fined hundreds of thousands in fines for pollution and enviromental hazards...

• 2 weeks later...

i just finished running a tank a bit of e85 through the truck. e85 was 3.17, 87 was 3.67, 93 was 3.87. ill be going back to 93 i think. the e85 doesnt last very long in these trucks. feels like im gonna get about 100 miles less or so to the tank. not worth running

i just finished running a tank a bit of e85 through the truck. e85 was 3.17, 87 was 3.67, 93 was 3.87. ill be going back to 93 i think. the e85 doesnt last very long in these trucks. feels like im gonna get about 100 miles less or so to the tank. not worth running

You typically get 25% less power/MPG. It's another silly idea like CFL's. Both are NFG, yet somehow got gov't approval, and marketed that "you'll save the planet by using it".

You typically get 25% less power/MPG. It's another silly idea like CFL's. Both are NFG, yet somehow got gov't approval, and marketed that "you'll save the planet by using it".

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding your wording but saying E85 has less power is wrong. It has less specific power but the truck will make more overall power running E85.

Less MPG yes....but not less power. E85 has higher octane (around 103) which gives an engine more pep and response. I run e85 fuel almost exclusively in my truck and it feels much more sluggish when running regular gasoline. Nobody ever said it would save money, but it is made locally and burns much cleaner than other fuels.

What if you get 25% less mileage but it costs 30% less? :dunno:

Would you buy a fuel that cost 30% more than gasoline but only gives you 25% more miles? If so, I have a business opportunity for you . . . :jester:

Archived