03 Chevy 1500 4.8l towing 5800lb camper...?

I have an 03 Chevy 1500 4.8l lifted with 35s and gear ratio 4.88 front/rear. Have intake heavy duty tranny cooler, power programmer, found a camper that weighs in at 5800lbs dry, I also have a grizzly 700... And I have a eqlizer w/d hitch with sway bars, and brake controller... What do you think...? Too heavy? Also I only camp 40 miles away with two decent sized hills....???

By time you load truck & trailer then add in tongue weight you may be pushing it. This is just my opinion but I'd look for a light trailer personally. Even my truck wouldn't be real happy with that load. Again just my opinion.

40 miles with your gear ratio shouldent be a problem,try it and see,make sure you set up the wd hitch properly to handle the tonge wt,yes it might be a bit of a strain,but as you said your only going 40 miles.I towed a trailer with a weight of 4500lbs,with a 4.8 and 3.73 and it was pretty comfortable as long as i kept below 60mph.

Regardless of what gear ratio you have, you'lll be FAR over your max payload once loaded. I'd consider a lighter camper. With that aside, your truck will hate you pulling that kind of weight with the 4.8L. It just doesn't have the torque needed to pull that kind of load.

JMO....

Archived