Choice of rear axle ratio would you pick?

I am considering ordering a new 1500 Sierra 5.3 liter with crew cab and a short bed. I have seen a thread on this forum wherein some different opinions have been given on which axle ratio to choose. I welcome any more thoughts on this topic and wonder if any of the 3:08 owners have had good experiences with their choice? I do not tow anything close to the trailering limits for the 3:08 rear end and fuel economy seems a consideration.

I noted that some owners speculated that the transmission might shift up and down more often, but only a couple of responders had any real time driving experiences. Thanks for any replies.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally would never get anything less than a 3.42. I own an '11 with the 5.3 so I can't speak for the '14, but I couldn't imagine having this underpowered engine with the 3.08s. Supposedly the '14 5.3 is noticeably stronger than the GMT900 version, but I'd still get as much gear as possible. I've never heard anyone say "I wish I had less gear", but I have heard several wish they had more, including me. The MPG difference will be miniscule.

Allow me to share my thoughts on this subject. I currently own a '12 Silverado Ext. Cab, 5.3L engine, with the 3.08 rear end. I bought it for the color, (red) not for the options. However, that's another story for another time. I can honestly state for a fact, the 3.08 is a joke. It will get on your nerves shifting up and down constantly. I don't tow anything, fortunately, but it drove me crazy between red lights. Although I'm not a hot rodder, I do tend to drive more agressive than most. I eventually drove my truck to Charlotte, N.C. to get a performance tune on it. Actually, the PCM was reflashed. He changed the shift points, turned off the AFM, and several other misc. adjustments. The results was amazing. It now drives like the 6.2 without the power of the 6.2. In other words, the shifting is minimal to non-existent. I hope that makes sense. I'm sure how else to explain it.

This guy is Alvin Anderson at PCM for Less in Mooresville, NC. He is only a few miles from the Dale Earnhardt Motorsports Complex. By the way, he also did the same thing for me on my H3 Hummer I owned a few years earlier. The Hummer had the 5 cylinder, and no one on this forum would believe how that Hummer would run after he tuned it. Prior to the tune, you couldn't even use the cruise control on the interstate because it would shift up and down constantly. I guess the bottom line, if you are not concerned with towing, a $300 performance tune will solve the constant shifting problems regardless of the rear end gears.

My '14 Denali with 6.2 (when it becomes available) may not need the PCM reflashed. My wife has a '10 Escalade with the 6.2 and it drives like a champ without any tuning. The truck being lighter, should haul the mail without any performance mods. However, if I were getting anything less than the 6.2, based on my experiences, the first mod on my list would be a visit to PCM for Less.

people are exaggerating a little bit.. I have a 13 1500 ECSB 5.3 with 3.08's, dont tow anything with this truck. the shifting is a little weird and it dosent feel like it has as much jump compared to a 3.42 truck or 3.73.. but, it is not undriveable for someone who drives the truck normal and dosent tow. with my truck i have hand calculated 18.2 MPG city and 22.5 MPG so far.. i cant complain with that, but i probably would have gotten 3.42 if i had the choice next time around

will be getting a tune someday

I have the 3.08's on my '14 and no regrets, I wasn't sold on those gears until I took it for a test drive. No excessive downshifting, and gas mileage that blows away the 22 mpg rated. My best highway mileage so far was 25.8mpg for a 25 mile average. That was at 65mph with the cruise and A/C on. Like you, I don't plan on towing anything near the rating for the 3.08's, so they were fine for me. On 2013 and older trucks, I would want at least 3.42's. The amount of low end torque these new motors have coupled with the low first and second gear ratio on the 6-speed work great. I was reading some where, first gear ratio with 3.08's and the new 6-speed is equal to 4.10 gears with the old 4-speed.

I personally prefer 3.73 gears. However they are not available yet so I got 3.42's. I've had them before in other cars and didn't hate them so I'm sure they will be fine. They will be a step down from my 4.11's I have in my Trailblazer SS though. IMHO 3.08's are gutless shitty gears...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

1. 3:73

2. 3:42

I will put at least a 1" larger tire on it. Whatever the largest is that will fit stock or level. That will throw the ratio down (numerically lower) a bit.

No way 3:08.

Will be Interesting to see what ratios are avail with 8 speed.

Most 8 speeds I have seen add the extra gears in the slot between the 2:1 and 1:1 area(above and below the current 4th gear or between 3 and 4) and not in the OD are. I would expect the same ratios as today.

Archived