2014+ Exhaust Systems & Mufflers

37 minutes ago, jgraves13 said:

If price is no problem: Corsa system
If you want something cheap that sounds good: carven TR or black widow venom 250 with the flapper and resonator removed. Just have a shop change muffler, weld in a pipe for the resonator, and get a tip of your choosing.

Personally I went with the cheaper option (venom 250) because nobody looks underneath the truck anyways so what difference does it make if it's a full system vs a replacement. Going to a 3" system from the stock 2.75" will make negligible differences to most people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!  I wouldn’t say price is no problem, but I’m more interested in sound quality, with droning and resonance in the cab being a big concern.  If I have to pay to get that I will, but if I can get the same result for less money, that’s more beer in the fridge. ;-)

Thanks!  I wouldn’t say price is no problem, but I’m more interested in sound quality, with droning and resonance in the cab being a big concern.  If I have to pay to get that I will, but if I can get the same result for less money, that’s more beer in the fridge. ;-)

I would say go the cheaper route and use the leftover money to tune out v4. I'm very happy with how mine turned out with the venom 250.

Here's some pics:

95ade0b2b4edf8ff342b4ae87daf8cfb.jpg

f8405d0c7cdfd9485f62d82cdec15b8b.jpg

d7eea34e612d2d94c036c372d32e38fc.jpg

Sound is perfect imo. Similar to the Corsa but 1/3 of the cost. Quiet on the freeway, sounds good when you step on it, and sounds great on a cold start

With out going through all 179 pages, what is a good system for a '17 LTZ 5.3?  I'm looking for a nice deep sound, not obnoxiously loud, raspy, droning in the cab.  I like the black tips you can get with one of the Magnaflow systems, but at $1000 and I better off having a shop custom fabricate something?  I want to keep the single side exit like the factory exhaust too.
I agree with adding a different muffler and removing flapper and resonator. I have the Carven R which is to loud for what you're looking for but in all it cost me about $300 and I'm happy. f704b72319f55b72ee7785784db64bd9.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, it sounds like this is what I am looking for.  How do I tune out the V4?  By removing the flapper and resonator?  Sorry about the stupid questions, I know VWs, not Chevys.

If you are worried about your warranty, use a Range AFM Delete. If you aren't worried about your warranty, then go with a Diablo i3 tuner with a Lew tune (member on here)

On 8/21/2018 at 10:26 AM, askibum02 said:

With out going through all 179 pages, what is a good system for a '17 LTZ 5.3?  I'm looking for a nice deep sound, not obnoxiously loud, raspy, droning in the cab.  I like the black tips you can get with one of the Magnaflow systems, but at $1000 and I better off having a shop custom fabricate something?  I want to keep the single side exit like the factory exhaust too.

I am really liking the Magnaflow 12589 I had installed.     It has the stock OEM look and is about a 10% increase in volume with no added cabin noise.     It's very mild compared to most of the options suggested here,  but it's a nice upgrade over stock, IMO and under $500 installed.      Most muffler shops nowadays will have matte black tips too.

image.thumb.png.d7ee9ea50e0c8afe45a084a375396c6f.png

For 40 years I used the same exhaust bender, all my exhaust was custom. Some really custom. Never paid what people pay for mail order. Never ever more than 800$.

On 8/23/2018 at 7:18 PM, KeyserSoze said:

I am really liking the Magnaflow 12589 I had installed.     It has the stock OEM look and is about a 10% increase in volume with no added cabin noise.     It's very mild compared to most of the options suggested here,  but it's a nice upgrade over stock, IMO and under $500 installed.      Most muffler shops nowadays will have matte black tips too.

image.thumb.png.d7ee9ea50e0c8afe45a084a375396c6f.png

Man, I just run into you everywhere, huh?  It’s Ross

13 hours ago, KARNUT said:

For 40 years I used the same exhaust bender, all my exhaust was custom. Some really custom. Never paid what people pay for mail order. Never ever more than 800$.

Mail order exhaust is highway robbery, not to mention the fact that you have clamps everywhere!

There are good exhaust shops around here in KC, in just about every metropolitan suburb.

Mail order exhaust is highway robbery, not to mention the fact that you have clamps everywhere!
There are good exhaust shops around here in KC, in just about every metropolitan suburb.

I’ve had the benefit of very good bender. Over the years we have come up with some interesting exhaust setups. Traveling a lot for my business over the years I wanted the ability to quiet my exhaust sometimes so a capable loud exhaust would run along side my stock exhaust. I’ve noticed in my travels benders all over and wondered why people would pay up to 2/3s more for mail order. Especially since exhaust nowadays has very little restriction and a good muffler or non at all would give great sound.

Removed the stock muffler, flapper valve, resonator and tailpipe. Installed a cherry bomb extreme muffler and had it dumped behind the rear axle. Turned out perfect! Made a quick video as there weren't many out there with this setup when I was researching. Cherry Bomb Extreme 2017 5.3l

I started with straight piping the muffler... It made hardly any difference. Also tied back the v4 baffle. But once I straight piped the resignator that puppy makes some noise! Yes I is a little drone sounding when v4 is in but it doesn't bother me, people who cry about it, or drive in M5 to stop v4 are simply over sensitive... Anyway I've had that set up for 4 months and i'm ready to knock that 3rd cat out and put a shorty performance muffler in and bend myself some duals. Thinking about square cuts out the back like the 19s are doing from the factory..