2014+ Exhaust Systems & Mufflers

Question for you guys. I have the Carven exhaust with the single passenger exit. My truck has a 5/7 drop and I need to dump the exhaust before the axle.  

Any direct experience with the volume change from exiting out the back to dumping under the truck? I know it's usually louder, but how bad?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

There are exhaust shops that can do low rider exhaust. The answer it’s very loud depending on the muffler. I personally never liked the dumped sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just purchased a 2018 1500 Silverado 3 weeks ago. I want a better exhaust sound so I ordered a MBRP single exit kit. I took it up to the local muffler shop and they are telling me that I have to keep the exhaust flex pipe in line or I will have a terrible noise when the truck eco-tecs into 4 cylinder mode. Can anyone confirm this. I wasn’t sure about that, so I loaded up my kit and left. I don’t wanna make a mistake or get hosed. 

I just purchased a 2018 1500 Silverado 3 weeks ago. I want a better exhaust sound so I ordered a MBRP single exit kit. I took it up to the local muffler shop and they are telling me that I have to keep the exhaust flex pipe in line or I will have a terrible noise when the truck eco-tecs into 4 cylinder mode. Can anyone confirm this. I wasn’t sure about that, so I loaded up my kit and left. I don’t wanna make a mistake or get hosed. 
I think they mean the flapper valve, keeping it probably will help but anything besides a stock exhaust will have drone and v4 chop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, SirenRed16 said:

I think they mean the flapper valve, keeping it probably will help but anything besides a stock exhaust will have drone and v4 chop.

The muffler tech specifically put his finger on the flex pipe and said that I need to keep that unless I program the truck to stay in V8 the whole time, which isn’t a bad idea, but all the videos I’ve watched on YouTube seem to not show that being a problem. I don’t know. All this high tech crap is starting to bug me.

The muffler tech specifically put his finger on the flex pipe and said that I need to keep that unless I program the truck to stay in V8 the whole time, which isn’t a bad idea, but all the videos I’ve watched on YouTube seem to not show that being a problem. I don’t know. All this high tech crap is starting to bug me.
You can keep it if it'll make you feel better but it won't make a difference if it's on or off. I'm no muffler tech but I'm pretty sure the rear resonator and flapper valve help with the drone and v4 chop.

On 7/25/2018 at 3:48 AM, ajensen383 said:

NONE!...IMO its the best exhaust system on the market ...It has a great sound and no interior resonance...The Sport system may be too loud for some, but I think its prefect...Cold starts are pretty loud..but after that it has a great sound...only gets pretty loud if you are in the gas hard, and even then its not annoying inside...Even in V4 mode, yes it does chopper a little but still no drone inside. Crusing down the highway is just as quiet as the factory exhaust...until you put your foot down..LOL

This is great news! I hope to get it soon. I just installed my air intake today and now I know it needs an exhaust

10 hours ago, Gexal Crankshaft said:

Maybe find another exhaust shop...The flex pipe has NOTHING to do with 4cyl mode noise. The flapper valve behind the stock muffler is what is supposed to control 4cyl mode ..The flex pipe is there to "flex" to not made the system completely rigid and possibly crack something. It is NOT needed with cat back systems.

9 hours ago, Rich7930 said:

Showed up today should have it on by tomorrow evening :D

78FDBC9B-7E3B-4BE5-8D0B-E61D2C88BBE0.jpeg

Sweet!...Solo makes great products, I cant wait to hear the results on how she sounds!..I never knew they did truck exhaust

2 hours ago, ajensen383 said:

Maybe find another exhaust shop...The flex pipe has NOTHING to do with 4cyl mode noise. The flapper valve behind the stock muffler is what is supposed to control 4cyl mode ..The flex pipe is there to "flex" to not made the system completely rigid and possibly crack something. It is NOT needed with cat back systems.

I pulled the trigger on a Range AFM disables last night. That should be the end of that. ?

I was able to get the SLP exhaust on.   I’ll try to get some clips when I can.  Nice rumble at startup. Doesn’t seem to have much highway drone and is fairly quiet at cruising speed.  The v4 annoyance is present, but I don’t have enough time to say whether it’s a deal breaker. It’s definitely louder than stock which was apparent instantly.

just a short startup clip, although I don’t think my phone did a great job picking up the deep rumble  

Edited by Jchoi

Has anyone done a side by side comparison table or video for performance and sound that I can look up?

My attempt to layout what I have found so far...

Exhaust manufacturers in no real order:

1.) MagnaFlow

2.) MBRP

3.) Borla

4.) Flowmaster

5.) SLP

6.) Gibson

7.) aFe

8.) Corsa

9.) Match Fource-XP

10.) Carven

11.) General Motors 

12.) Kooks

13.) Venom

Seems to be three types of materials:

1.) Aluminum coated (aluminized)

2.) Black coated

3.) Stainless steel

Seems to be five style choices:

1.) Single behind rear wheel side exit (factory design)

2.) Dual same side behind rear wheel side exit

3.) Dual same side in front of rear wheel side exit

4.) Dual both sides behind the wheel side exit

5.) Dual both sides straight out rear bumper

How about best exhaust and cold air box pairing? Anyone done anything with that?