2014+ Exhaust Systems & Mufflers

Time for a version 2 of my exhaust, not because I wanted, but because I needed to. I added shock extenders a few days ago, and the driver side tube was in the way of the shock, so I was forced to re-do that side... problem is that there is no space to run the tube now because on the back side I have the Hellwig link and on the front GM placed the "splicer" for the brake lines. So I decided to do a center out exhaust.

The original plan was to run the same set up as the Gen4 SLP CME exhaust, but I didn't feel like paying over $150 for a set of knock-off cast aluminum pieces that I would had to modify to make them work, so I decided to just run them down the center, as I don't keep my spare under the bed anymore. 

I am still waiting on the tips to arrive, I ordered Gibson's rectangle sport exhaust tips (which I will still need to modify just easier). I don't know if I will end up using them as I keep changing my mind between them and a quad set up... 

Old exhaust routing

IMG_0725.thumb.JPG.48bc9d4e9ba3c671f838f3c89d954b03.JPG

New set up.

IMG_1364.thumb.JPG.2a28fa5cc4453aff8e6fe3e47bfdb967.JPG

• Like 1

last 2... I wish the site would compress the pictures.

The big mufflers are Dynomax, they are getting swapped soon with two Magnaflow 6" round x 30" long mufflers... just waiting to fab up a new transmission crossmember to run my duals down under the driveshaft yoke instead of under the transmission into the passenger side. 

Also, decided on this configuration if I need to install J-pipes (quarterwave resonators). They will be a lot easier to mount parallel to the straight runs on the bak rather than in the front next to the mufflers.

IMG_1363.thumb.JPG.0fb1a72de80e01285c4a809767641593.JPG

IMG_1362.thumb.JPG.6b5969d12dc2327e56931d4c41215483.JPG

Edited by Maiden69

got the tips installed. Exhaust companies need to produce more 3" tips... Magnaflow, Dynomax, Pypes, Gibson, Borla, all the tips that are decent in this line that I could use were 2.5". The ones I got were 2.5" but I made a 3" to 3.5" round to oval connector and welded it after cutting the end and matching the hole to the 3.5" oval size. The truck drones a little more than with the round tips, but I think it is because the opening on the Gibsons is so big that its resonating under the bed at cruising speeds. I think I will probably extend them all the way out and cut the excess from the top and re-polish. 

IMG_1365.thumb.JPG.b4612e94b92f04d7e60d6b343b3132d6.JPGIMG_1366.thumb.JPG.95182455099457698c236a0058c7800f.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Just installed a Carven Competitor series axle dump catback. Removed the factory exhaust in one piece and installed the Carven in under a hour. Piece of cake. I was worried about all the posts saying you can't get the stock exhaust out in one piece without a lift. I didn't even use a jack or jack stand. Placed some ramps under the right side of the truck behind the front and rear tires, backed it up on the ramps, unbolted the clamp and removed the hangars. Slid it out from the front. No  sound clips yet but I will say it sounds pretty good. Not obnoxious at all. Nice rumble. No drone..

IMG_1728.jpg

• Thanks 1

I was too impatient to get my pipes on so I cut the factor system just after the muffler. Easier storage for me later anyway. Nice looking system. I have GMPP Borla that had a crazy dull note at around 1800-2000 RPM when accelerating so I had a factory resonator put in before the muffler. Didn't quiet the system down at all but did remove that dull note. After all this, now I have the itch to swap systems again...looking at a Corsa Touring, even sport and if too loud I will slap a resonator on it. This happens with everything I mess with...my old Bronco, 4Runner, Tahoe, WRX, motorcycle...just never happy...

Finally got my exhaust done and sounding pretty much how I want. My current set up is Texas Speed 1 7/8” longtubes and catted Y pipe, 3” Dynomax intermediate pipe, AFe resonator followed by a Blackwidow Venom 250 muffler with a single side exit Corsa tip out the back. The BW was way too raspy and airy sounding by itself but the resonator seemed to deepen the tone up and got rid of most of that airy sound. I was actually surprised how much it did for no bigger than the casing is.

With this set up it is pretty loud on cold starts and you can definitely tell it has long tubes which is I wanted. It calms down pretty quick after the initial start up. Once it’s warm it has a nice little bark on normal start ups. It also has a nice little pop in between shifts which makes it hard to keep my foot out of.

I can keep it very tame driving around town but if I want to roll on it a little it will definitely make some noise. Absolutely no drone cruising or at highway speeds. More of just an exhaust pulse that I think you’d get with any set up with headers.

I don’t do alot of WOT pulls with this thing but you can definitely feel the power the headers added down low. Where it used to fall on its face, the power is there now. By no means is the truck fast but feels a lot better considering I have 35” tires and 3.42 gears.

This is my first truck with longtubes so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Definitely glad I went this route. The only other set up I’d like to try is a Corsa dB or sport muffler. I’ve ran a Corsa on pretty much all my trucks but this one. Happy with it for now though.

cf310f89721bc12970ed6bd6b7db6ac7.jpg4539538394120be929c5f85ad8103fda.jpg3c38cc8f18a6c4f050109998b8cbb8d8.jpg

https://youtu.be/r4Knvic0gUY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Finally got my exhaust done and sounding pretty much how I want. My current set up is Texas Speed 1 7/8” longtubes and catted Y pipe, 3” Dynomax intermediate pipe, AFe resonator followed by a Blackwidow Venom 250 muffler with a single exit Corsa tip out the back. The BW was way too raspy and airy sounding by itself but the resonator seemed to deepen the tone up and got rid of most of that airy sound. I was actually surprised how much it did for no bigger than the casing is.

With this set up it is pretty loud on cold starts and you can definitely tell it has long tubes which I wanted. It calms down pretty quick after the initial start up. Once it’s warm it has nice little bark on normal start ups. It has a pretty loud bark on up shifts which Makes it hard to keep my foot out of.

I can keep it very tame driving around town but if I want to roll on it a little it definitely will make some noise. Absolutely no drone cruising or at highway speeds. More of just a exhaust pulse that I think you’d get with any set up.

I don’t do alot of WOT pulls with this thing but you can definitely feel the power the headers added down low. Where it used to fall on its face, the power is there now.

This is my first truck with longtubes so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Definitely glad I went this route. The only other set up I’d like to try is a Corsa muffler. I’ve ran a Corsa on pretty much all my trucks but this one. Happy with it for now
cf310f89721bc12970ed6bd6b7db6ac7.jpg4539538394120be929c5f85ad8103fda.jpg3c38cc8f18a6c4f050109998b8cbb8d8.jpg

https://youtu.be/r4Knvic0gUY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude that sounds bad a$$!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Hi - hopefully this isn't hijacking the thread.  I just joined the forum since I recently bought a 2018 Sierra Denali.  I want to have a louder exhaust, but don't want drone at higher speeds.  I have read a bunch of posts about exhausts not having drone or barely having drone at freeway speeds, but are there any out there that don't drone at 75-80 mph?   I live in Utah and we regularly drive 70+ mph and want a louder exhaust, just not one that drones as badly as my 03 suburban with an MBRP catback did.  

Thanks for your help!

Edited by maxboy02
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

All right you neer-do-well influencers of financial spend................  :)  

I am one of those guys who reads a lot and posts very little.  And based on that reading on this thread as well as a bunch of phone calls to Borla and AFE, I just ordered this:  Borla Touring with dual side exit (140544), aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 Pro 5R Intake (54-12332) plus a cover for the air filter and a dry element as well as the oiled.

As a hot rodder from way back I was initially skeptical of the power and mileage gain potential,  but it seems those numbers are real.  I really don’t care to make my truck noisy (competition shooting and lead trumpet playing satisfy any need I have for sound), I just wanted more exhaust flow so the intake will work better.  That said, I do like the sound of the Borla Touring. 

The Borla rep told me that the Borla Touring was slightly louder than the GMPP Borla, which is different than what I have read here.  He also said there wasn’t an issue with AFM noise with their system.  He said GM uses the flapper to take out the helicopter noise and Borla just engineered it with the muffler design.  That is also different than what I read here.  l’ll soon find out if the sound level and pitch is acceptable to these nearly six decade old ears.  

Anyway, thanks to all of you who have posted your thoughts, ideas, and experiences!!

Edited by INTJ