2014+ Exhaust Systems & Mufflers

On 9/2/2019 at 8:14 PM, Yondu said:

Thanks for the info. Someone had said they are both straight through, so I wasn't sure what a new muffler would do. 

I'm considering replacing the muffler and flapper with the Magnaflow 12589.  22" muffler.  And leaving the stock resonator. 

If like to keep the v4 mode though and have it setup to only be active above 60mph, for free way cruising. 

My 6.2L has slightly larger pipe than 5.3L. I have the 22" 14909 100% stainless maganaflow (12909 is stainless internals and anti corrosion coated outside.)

I had the flapper cut out and left the resonator. Honestly it sounds stock in the cab until after 3k rpm or more than half throttle. Then it sounds deeper than stock and some growl. I still use V4 around town sometimes and you can defiantly tell when its in V4. On highway cruising its hard to tell when in V4. Not bad like some that have deleted muffler or gone with aggressive flowmaster and they get the helicopter noise.

I would still do this mod again even though it is a quiet muffler. I like the flow through design, and getting rid of the flapper. From the outside of truck it sounds badass when I have a buddy stomp it and drive by, from in the cab it sounds a little more aggressive than stock but not night and day.

For the $170 (stainless magnaflow on ebay) + $80 for shop to weld in it was a cheap mod as far as exhausts go.

8 hours ago, 2018GMC said:

My 6.2L has slightly larger pipe than 5.3L. I have the 22" 14909 100% stainless maganaflow (12909 is stainless internals and anti corrosion coated outside.)

I had the flapper cut out and left the resonator. Honestly it sounds stock in the cab until after 3k rpm or more than half throttle. Then it sounds deeper than stock and some growl. I still use V4 around town sometimes and you can defiantly tell when its in V4. On highway cruising its hard to tell when in V4. Not bad like some that have deleted muffler or gone with aggressive flowmaster and they get the helicopter noise.

I would still do this mod again even though it is a quiet muffler. I like the flow through design, and getting rid of the flapper. From the outside of truck it sounds badass when I have a buddy stomp it and drive by, from in the cab it sounds a little more aggressive than stock but not night and day.

For the $170 (stainless magnaflow on ebay) + $80 for shop to weld in it was a cheap mod as far as exhausts go.

That's some really good info, sounds like exactly what I want.  I'm glad to hear highway cruising is much better for v4 than city. 

Thank you. 

@Yondu go for the Magnaflow 12589.  Sounds like you will be pleased with the sound.  I've had the 12909 on my 2015 6.2 AT for 4+ years and like it.  Not too loud or droney even when towing a trailer.  Cold starts are louder than stock but the neighbors won't be annoyed with you.  Nice deep, mellow tone and lets you know a V8 is under the hood when you gas it.  At cruising speed on the highway 60+ mph drone and V4 chop is minimal even without the flapper valve.  (Kept stock resonator)

Around town I manually put the truck in 7th so that V4 mode is disabled.

I ordered the muffler through Advance Auto using a 20% off coupon.  Including installation the muffler was $155 or so.  Look for a reputable exhaust shop who will carefully measure the stock muffler and flapper valve and cut them off precisely.  Welding up the Magnaflow shouldn't be an issue if they know what they are doing.  Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys! I just got my new truck and been doing a ton of research. I want to do a whole new exhaust system from long tube headers / high flow cats / true dual system w/ X-Pipe / 3" pipe and have it come out the passenger side right before the rear wheel. I was hoping I could get some suggestions cause the only kit I've been able to find is this one and this one from Stainless Works. This kit just seems way to expensive for what you get.

2017 GMC Sierra 5.3L SLE Crew Cab

On 9/24/2019 at 9:20 AM, iTechro said:

Hi guys! I just got my new truck and been doing a ton of research. I want to do a whole new exhaust system from long tube headers / high flow cats / true dual system w/ X-Pipe / 3" pipe and have it come out the passenger side right before the rear wheel. I was hoping I could get some suggestions cause the only kit I've been able to find is this one and this one from Stainless Works. This kit just seems way to expensive for what you get.

2017 GMC Sierra 5.3L SLE Crew Cab

Go with Speed Engineering long tube headers, Speed Engineering x pipe kit for trucks and run whatever mufflers you want and have the exhaust shop run tips before tire. I'm about to do the same and ditch the y pipe

Awhile back I went with a Flowmaster 50 with dual pipes out the back left the flapper. Got tired of the loudness and tried the 24” Magnaflow. It was still too loud (I guess I’m getting older). We put a 18” glass pack (straight thru) in front of the flapper after the cats, and after the flex pipe....sound is about perfect now. My question is to u experts. Do you think adding the glass pack that close will do any long term harm? Just FYI:  I would say the mangaflow felt better on performance than the Flowmaster, but the mangaflow was louder also. 

Edited by Racindave

• 4 weeks later...

5.3 L83 Silverado

-Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers

-3" X-Pipe

-Twin Magnapack Magnaflow Mufflers

-Full 3" Exhaust

Here is the Video:

Edited by VdellaV
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any kind of resource (maybe a YouTube channel or something) that has videos comparing sounds of different exhaust systems?  I just bought a '16 Silverado 1500 5.3. I'd like to replace the stock exhaust for something with a little bit rumble but it is what we'll be taking on vacations and toting the family around in so I don't want anything too loud. Also have some concerns after reading about the 'helicopter' sound in v4 mode, which I have no idea what that sounds like. 

Also, do you have to do anything with re-jetting or programming the fuel injectors or anything after switching muffler/exhaust?

Is there any kind of resource (maybe a YouTube channel or something) that has videos comparing sounds of different exhaust systems?  I just bought a '16 Silverado 1500 5.3. I'd like to replace the stock exhaust for something with a little bit rumble but it is what we'll be taking on vacations and toting the family around in so I don't want anything too loud. Also have some concerns after reading about the 'helicopter' sound in v4 mode, which I have no idea what that sounds like. 

Also, do you have to do anything with re-jetting or programming the fuel injectors or anything after switching muffler/exhaust?

Lots of YouTube videos out there with about every set up you can think of. If you’re wanting to replace the entire cat back, I would look at Corsa, Borla, or Magnaflow. The Borla and Corsa systems are a little pricey but hard to beat on build quality. Corsa is going to be a little loud but the good thing about their systems is no drone in the cab. Borla has several different sound options from their Touring, S-Type and the loudest being the Atak. Tuning is not really required for an exhaust system unless you’re putting longtubes on. A good tune can make the truck much more enjoyable to drive even with no mods. I would steer clear of that if you have any concerns with voiding your warranty. That’s a whole other conversation.

Look up Matt Earle on YouTube. He has several sound clips of about 20 different mufflers he’s ran. Most of his videos are with Kooks headers installed but it will give you a good idea of what options are out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will those systems still pass standard emissions tests?
I'd check with your local emissions laws. I'm in California and you'll pass emissions as long as you dont mess with headers and leave all catalytic converters in.

Also the v4 helicopter noise is exactly that, imagine that a helicopter is following you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2019 at 12:28 PM, FinallyTrucker said:

Will those systems still pass standard emissions tests?

All catback exhaust systems will pass emissions I would think since you are keeping the stock catalytic converters in place. You can even gut or remove the large round third cat and pass if you don't live in California from what I've heard.

I believe it is only there for California as many call it the California Cat but it is always good to check your state laws as stated above if you're concerned about being checked.

If you go far enough back on my YouTube channel (Matt Earle) you should find almost a dozen or more different mufflers I tried with the stock exhaust manifolds and all three catalytic converters in tact. I later added headers and shot videos of each of those mufflers over again and then tried more. It was a disease I think I may have finally cured but hopefully it helps people out.

All catback exhaust systems will pass emissions I would think since you are keeping the stock catalytic converters in place. You can even gut or remove the large round third cat and pass if you don't live in California from what I've heard.

I believe it is only there for California as many call it the California Cat but it is always good to check your state laws as stated above if you're concerned about being checked.

If you go far enough back on my YouTube channel (Matt Earle) you should find almost a dozen or more different mufflers I tried with the stock exhaust manifolds and all three catalytic converters in tact. I later added headers and shot videos of each of those mufflers over again and then tried more. It was a disease I think I may have finally cured but hopefully it helps people out.

Your videos helped me out a ton. I always refer people to your YouTube channel when they’re searching for exhaust.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think most know of Kinney’s Muffler Shop in Texas however if not check out the link below. In my opinion they set the bar for custom exhaust systems with many videos to see and hear different combinations on a wide range of vehicles. If I remember click the ”videos” link on home page and it brings you to their YouTube channel. 

http://www.kinneysmufflershop.com/kinneysmufflershop.com/HOME.html

I’ve been using Auto Pro in Conroe TX for 40 years for exhaust and modifications. Local dealers use Joey for custom exhaust work. I’ve dreamed up pretty wild exhaust over the years. He had no problems building them. He kept some of my custom cars going when I was too busy to do it. He’s the reason I couldn’t understand why people would buy mail order exhaust. Good to be spoiled.

• Like 2