2014+ Exhaust Systems & Mufflers

speaking of pulse, Douge thorly makes a redesigned header that has two scavengers from the 4 primaries into a final collector scavenger, its designed to bump the low to mid power, on the 5.3, something these motors need more of.. I can only imaging guys bolting on the big 6.2 longtubes on a 5.3 and not making any bottom end torque ... 
Nice! Folks get caught up on big tube exhaust and forget about velocity and scavenging. Those 4:2:1 tri-y headers are legit. I wouldn't mind seeing a dyno test against some other brands out there. Iirc they made the tri-y for some time now[emoji848]

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Yes, they are going on my wish list after the fat front sway bar upgrade
Right on. Im sure those will work well with the 5.3. Bet they bring more tq then hp all across the lower rpm band. Aught to make for some fun Smokey burn outs lol.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed the  Flowmaster 717787  for the 2014-2018 Sierra 5.3 L83 Engine.

I will say this the Ball Connector Bolt was toast and the manuals I read stated 15mm to remove.

The fact's are the bolt head is on top and it's 13mm on my 2018. I say this because if you go with a Cat-Back you will have to remove this clamp that is spot welded/tab again on top and it's attached to the flex pipe behind the cat. With that said I tried to get the bolt going but with 16,000 miles it was not going to happen so I used my Sawzall 6inch  blade fine cut @ 18 TPI and cut the band behind the formed bolt thru. It took 3 blades nice and easy I believe this material has qualities consistent with Inconel so it can and will take the heat and this makes your blade inefficient so by 5 as I just cut the pipe and rods as that exhaust is junk but made of good material. I also installed the L86 Intake Manifold and TB. It sounds good and because the Flowmaster bolts into the back of the cat a set of headers and O/R Y-Pipe to have a little back-pressure for TQ concerns for future MODS I will have no concerns getting those into the new exhaust.

The Ball Clamp was $39.00 at the GMC Parts Counter and is 2.75/ or 2 3/4 inch, it is made with the same material and the weld tab is present and fit like a glove and again well made for long term use at high temperatures without any fitment issues. The clamp was made in America! It was the solution I used for the removal and install and it took me 1hr at 18 minutes. I'm not young or have a lift cut remove install and I'm glad I did it.

The next step is a Black Bear Tune as I have driven trucks that Justin Tuned and with these mods mentioned above and it was night and day.

Retired NCO and God Bless America!

Edited by RET. NCO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 11:01 AM, jimbrown1 said:

So I purchased the Borla 400130 back in March 2019 just after purchasing my new Sierra (2018) from the dealer in February.  The sound was not at all like the GMPP muffler produced by Borla, and was discontinued under the GMPP part number.  Borla said they continued to get requests for this muffler and began producing it again, but it's not $75 any more, it's $200.  With that being said, the muffler seemed to not be the same as the GMPP I had installed on my 2011 Silverado.  Borla said the packing materials and design are a little different than before and you had to put some miles on it to break it in, probably around 800-1200.  Well, I did that, and no change.  The next thought was the resonator behind the rear axle is muffling the sound so I went to Aces Performance Exhaust this morning to just have them cut that out and leave the rest as is.  It's not as loud on start up as a Corsa cat back(14848) for sure.  I had no drone in the cabin and you can definitely hear it in the cabin now when accelerating whereas before it was very, very muffled.  I can only upload a video of 4.88MB and both files exceed that.  

I have a17 5.3 . I did s type cat back both side outs. I love it imo. Touring no point n for me atak is to much. Mine did burn in say 350 ta 450kms n get deeper n growlyr. Mite do a hi flow cat or even remove. For a lil more umf n sound. Cheers jus my 2 pennies worth..

On 11/28/2019 at 5:32 AM, FinallyTrucker said:

Is there any kind of resource (maybe a YouTube channel or something) that has videos comparing sounds of different exhaust systems?  I just bought a '16 Silverado 1500 5.3. I'd like to replace the stock exhaust for something with a little bit rumble but it is what we'll be taking on vacations and toting the family around in so I don't want anything too loud. Also have some concerns after reading about the 'helicopter' sound in v4 mode, which I have no idea what that sounds like. 

Also, do you have to do anything with re-jetting or programming the fuel injectors or anything after switching muffler/exhaust?

Spend the $ borla cat back s type. You will love it no flap bs. Jus pick the style out dual side , straight bak or both side. It's jus right. City hiway towing ya hear it but not stupid. V4 drone. Get a range afm disable. Fml. Mileage is same or better than stock. N no lag or slop jus a v8 waitin for the pedal.. 

On 3/8/2020 at 3:44 PM, RET. NCO said:

I just installed the  Flowmaster 717787  for the 2014-2018 Sierra 5.3 L83 Engine.

I will say this the Ball Connector Bolt was toast and the manuals I read stated 15mm to remove.

The fact's are the bolt head is on top and it's 13mm on my 2018. I say this because if you go with a Cat-Back you will have to remove this clamp that is spot welded/tab again on top and it's attached to the flex pipe behind the cat. With that said I tried to get the bolt going but with 16,000 miles it was not going to happen so I used my Sawzall 6inch  blade fine cut @ 18 TPI and cut the band behind the formed bolt thru. It took 3 blades nice and easy I believe this material has qualities consistent with Inconel so it can and will take the heat and this makes your blade inefficient so by 5 as I just cut the pipe and rods as that exhaust is junk but made of good material. I also installed the L86 Intake Manifold and TB. It sounds good and because the Flowmaster bolts into the back of the cat a set of headers and O/R Y-Pipe to have a little back-pressure for TQ concerns for future MODS I will have no concerns getting those into the new exhaust.

The Ball Clamp was $39.00 at the GMC Parts Counter and is 2.75/ or 2 3/4 inch, it is made with the same material and the weld tab is present and fit like a glove and again well made for long term use at high temperatures without any fitment issues. The clamp was made in America! It was the solution I used for the removal and install and it took me 1hr at 18 minutes. I'm not young or have a lift cut remove install and I'm glad I did it.

The next step is a Black Bear Tune as I have driven trucks that Justin Tuned and with these mods mentioned above and it was night and day.

Retired NCO and God Bless America!

Ya lost me here.. but good luck..

I went back and forth myself between Corsa touring and Borla sport.  You really can’t go wrong with either one.  About 9000 miles ago I installed the Corsa touring and it sounds mint .  It’s the perfect combo of noise without drone.  I also plugged in the Range disabler.  If anyone wants to hear the sound shoot me a message (With ur email) and I’ll email you a clip since it will be too large to post.  It’s a big purchase so I understand you want to get it right !  Good luck

I would love to replicate the sound of the factory exhaust on the pickups with the Denali package. It's obviously very muted but you can at least hear that a V8 exists! Does anyone have ideas on how to achieve that? I toyed with the idea of just removing the resonator and flapper but after doing some research, it sounds like you will likely get a drone doing that. I will be getting a Range AFM delete soon so the V4 sound won't be an issue. 

If i had to do it over again I would the AFM delete, cut off resonator first and clamp open the flapper. The if you still dont like change muffler. Eitherway keep the resonator. I ended up changing muffler first and kep resonator on but wasnt what i was looking for so I removed the resonator and love the current sound. I have a magnaflow muffler

Last year I tried the MBRP cat back kit that said it was designed with GM AFM motors in mind. I put it on and I could not take the drone after 3 weeks. It sounded good on acceleration but cruising there was definitely a drone. So I took if off. This year i decided I would try something different, I wanted a less aggressive sound. I build my own cat back kit using the stock pipe up to a Flowmaster Super 50 and then the 3" Dynamax 54704 pipe without the resonator. I like this setup, deep mild tone with some power, and almost silent at cruising speeds.

Edited by opeg1979

Yes, I started with a Magnaflow muffler and left the resonator on with flapper. The flapper created the drone and I quickly clamped it open. The resonator left in place it sounded good as it was new to me but after a week or two it wasn't want I wanted to keep so I cut off the resonator and added some dual tips and that make the sound complete and what I was looking for. Don't hesitate to cut it off but also I like doing things in stages so I tried with it on first.