2014+ Lowering / Drop Kits

6 hours ago, shaneman20 said:

I wanted to chime in here as well.

2014 Silverado DCSB LT Z71 4WD.

Really wanting to lower it at some point. I've looked at every possible kit for these trucks and just not sure where to go with it mainly because of the fact that it's 4WD. I know there's companies out there making stuff for the truck, but when you're like me and have never done suspension work or even lowered a pickup before, things can get a tiny bit overwhelming pretty quickly.

I planned on starting out on either an easy 2/3 drop (while upgrading shocks and struts since the ranchos have 70K+ miles on them now) to get a feel for how I'd like having the truck lowered, and possibly going to a 3/5 or 4/6, but biggest things I'm concerned about are the driveshafts and CV axles (All of which really ought to be upgraded since I would like to go faster, but that's a different topic for a different area of the forum) and pinion angles, etc. All that fun stuff.

Am I really making it out to be that hard in my head, or is there honestly more to it?

Forgive me if this has been long since discussed. Trying to dig through 106 pages of posts is going to get tiring quick. So, I do apologize if it's been discussed. I figured it'd be easier to reply here rather than start a new thread.

I'd go with a 3/5.  Spindle, strut, flip kit and lift hanger. And just have it done. If you've never done it before it's better to have it done.  Plus doing the flip kit and lift hanger can be a little bit of a pain 

I'd go with a 3/5.  Spindle, strut, flip kit and lift hanger. And just have it done. If you've never done it before it's better to have it done.  Plus doing the flip kit and lift hanger can be a little bit of a pain 

Agreed! 3/5 on 4wd would be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, guys, for the info. Any brands to look at for complete kits? I've seen some, but didn't know if one was better than the other. Also seen some people mix and match front and rear drops as well. Any opinions or thoughts there are appreciated as well.

Biggest thing to keep in mind is I do want to go fast with my truck. I don't care if she's heavy, I just wanna haul the mail.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2013 at 8:38 AM, mjw930 said:

I'm looking for the best way to lower the rear of my 2014 2WD 1500 about 1.5". That will still give it about a 1.5" rake which should mean level when I'm towing. I considered drop shackles but was reading about removing the rear lift plate that's between the axle and spring.

My question is can the leaf spring sit directly on the axle or is some sort of spacer / bushing required for proper alignment and isolation?

No I did not wade through 107 pages but.....the first 20 didn't answer anything you asked so......

Removing the blocks buys you a hair over 1.25". As a matter of happy-stance your factory shocks just under 2" above mid stroke. Your not 'blowing through' any valve sensitive area. It's a nine inch stroke shock. Removing the block puts it closer to the mid point. That is a good thing. IF fact its a great thing. 

The bump stop which was 3.75 inches off is now 2.5" off. Even at 3.75" it will prevent the shock from ever bottoming out.

With the truck sitting still wrap a wire tie around the shock shaft and driven it a few days. Normal routes, normal speeds. Measure the distance between the knot of the tie. (widest part) and the shock bottom. That's you compression range. If it's under you bump measurement all is good. If it's not it isn't the end of the world. Those bumpers are in play and are part of the progressive spring rate. They take about 5X more force to move the second half inch than they do the first half inch. If you cut the tip off  you loose the progression and it hits much harder. (IF you really handy and it really bothers you,  you can modify the mount to get some distance like they do on some flip kits).

When towing then either bag the thing or use a Reese style hitch and get it back to level. 

You don't need shock extensions for this mod. If you want a bit better ride almost any factory length shock is better than the $5 a piece name or no name junk that's on it. Even Monroe or Gabriel is a step up but don't expect magic. 

BTW that crock about don't reuse because it's a rolled thread? (U-Bolts) Well...yes...it's a crock. The reason anyone would not reuse such a fastener is if it were over torqued and stretched beyond it's elastic limit or overloaded to the same end. What engineering school did that guy go to? Use a 1 to 1.2" stack of washers under the nuts if you don't have enough thread. Military J form threads are rolled threads. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
additional content

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the truck world. Came from the performance LS side of things.  I have a 2017 1500 2wd crew cab. Already with 2" drop shackles in the back but wanting to go lower, either a 2/5 or a 3/6, can anyone link me to the best kits for this? I've been looking at mccaughey and belltech but leaning towards mccaughey after reading this thread. 

The plan I'm wanting is to run 22x10 +31 Silverado SS replicas without rubbing and without a rubberband tire. Will this be doable without a ton of trimming and cutting metal? 

Edited by G342
Typo.

7 hours ago, G342 said:

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the truck world. Came from the performance LS side of things.  I have a 2017 1500 2wd crew cab. Already with 2" drop shackles in the back but wanting to go lower, either a 2/5 or a 3/6, can anyone link me to the best kits for this? I've been looking at mccaughey and belltech but leaning towards mccaughey after reading this thread. 

The plan I'm wanting is to run 22x10 +31 Silverado SS replicas without rubbing and without a rubberband tire. Will this be doable without a ton of trimming and cutting metal? 

You will run a little bit in front especially at full lockout shouldn't be bad if you juat do a 2/5.  Only problem with that is you will want lower. But 2/5 should look pretty good

9 hours ago, Nasty said:

You will run a little bit in front especially at full lockout shouldn't be bad if you juat do a 2/5.  Only problem with that is you will want lower. But 2/5 should look pretty good

Yeah, I was thinking after I wrote it "Well a 3/5 would look better." So if I went 3/5 with a 22x9 on a +31 offset, I expect trimming But just curious as to how much and what, plastic? Fender liner or are we dipping into trimming and beating metal to get it not to rub at all at full crank?  

I have to say, this thread has been a wealth of information. 

Yeah, I was thinking after I wrote it "Well a 3/5 would look better." So if I went 3/5 with a 22x9 on a +31 offset, I expect trimming But just curious as to how much and what, plastic? Fender liner or are we dipping into trimming and beating metal to get it not to rub at all at full crank?  
 I have to say, this thread has been a wealth of information. 
Should be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk