My 2014 Silverado's climate control system is acting up weird. When I start up the truck in the morning at (- 20 Celsius) to get some heat, my A/C turns on and doesn't turn off once the vehicle has attained the required heat (18 Celsius)

Brought this to the attention of te dealer and they say it's normal. I say Nay Nay!! Even in warmer conditions, as soon as I turn on the fan, the A/C kick's in and still won't shut off unless I manually turn it off. This has nothing to do with the removal of moisture in the cab as everyone says.

Anyone else Have that problem?

BTW...I asked my dealer to research this with GM engineers and get back to me... I have not yet gotten anything. Nice! New 4 month old truck and I have climate control that GM doesn't understand or acknowledge.

Not Happy!

-20 Celcius is -4 Fahrenheit
18 Celsius is 65 Fahrenheit

All of us have the same "problem" you speak of. Yes the a/c turns on in the winter to remove moisture so your windows won't fog up as easy. It is on in the summer to cool the truck off quickly. GM is going to tell you the same thing because that is the way it was designed. Below is word for word from the owners manual. I guess you need to trade it in on a Ford?

A/C (Air Conditioning): Press to turn the air conditioning system on or off. An indicator light comes on to show that the air conditioning is enabled. If the fan is turned off, the air conditioner will not run. The A/C light will stay on even if the outside temperatures are below freezing.

I've yet to turn it on.The button that is. I'm assuming the AC will work without the button being depressed and the indicator light on??

It's been fairly warm and muggy (humid) here the past few days. I don't have the controls on auto. The temp knob is turned to LO,and the dash vents are enabled. I have noticed cold air coming out of the vents. Cold enough that it sure feels as though the AC is running. Not sure what the deal is,but I'm betting if I took the time to read it,the manual would explain it. Then again,maybe not. :)

All of us have the same "problem" you speak of. Yes the a/c turns on in the winter to remove moisture so your windows won't fog up as easy. It is on in the summer to cool the truck off quickly. GM is going to tell you the same thing because that is the way it was designed. Below is word for word from the owners manual. I guess you need to trade it in on a Ford?

A/C (Air Conditioning): Press to turn the air conditioning system on or off. An indicator light comes on to show that the air conditioning is enabled. If the fan is turned off, the air conditioner will not run. The A/C light will stay on even if the outside temperatures are below freezing.

Thanks for your reply

Yes I saw that in the manual but what annoys me is that even in a comfortable 20 degree temperature, the A/C compressor runs for nothing unless I have to manually turn it off. If I want to cool my cabin, I would prefer doing it myself instead of having the system do it for me automatically. My biggest concern is fuel consumption.

The temp knob is turned to LO,and the dash vents are enabled. I have noticed cold air coming out of the vents. Cold enough that it sure feels as though the AC is running. Not sure what the deal is,but I'm betting if I took the time to read it,the manual would explain it. Then again,maybe not. :)

Yes I noticed the very same thing also. I have to double check to see if the A/C is not on. That how cold the air gets.

I have also noticed the same thing. I found if I turn off the A/C button the discharge air temp remains very cold as if the A/C is still on. I tried an experiment and discovered if I turn the fan off and then back on again the discharge air temps are more normal. Of course the A/C button has to be turned off anytime the fan is turned off and back on again even in the winter which makes no sense to me.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've got a similar issue, except that the AC won't turn off at all..I hit the AC button to cool the cab off, then when it's up to comfort, I turned it off, it used to click and you could hear it turn off.. now it won't, and I drove for 145 miles with the AC light off, but the AC still chugging away... anyone else experience that? It turns off if you turn the car off.. but as soon as you turn the ac back on then turn it off later it doesn't stop..

Try Sgtusmc's advice....it worked for me. Hit the AC on and off again and it should turn off. It's strange how they designed the system that way unless of course we are but a few with that same bug.

Basically, GM took a beautifully operating climate control system and remote start system from the GMT900 and had a meeting where they worked really hard to come up with a way to completely f*** it up for these new K2 trucks. In that regard, they did a spectacular job....nothing but the best!

Archived