I have a 5.3 with the 6L80 in it and was hoping to swap over to a 6.2 but i can’t find much online about what i will need to replace, anything would help. I know i’ll need a new ECM and possibly a new flex plate but besides that i’m not sure. Thanks in advance!

I have a 5.3 with the 6L80 in it and was hoping to swap over to a 6.2 but i can’t find much online about what i will need to replace, anything would help. I know i’ll need a new ECM and possibly a new flex plate but besides that i’m not sure. Thanks in advance!
I may be wrong, but you may be able to just tune the l83 ecu for the l86.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, ullose272 said:

Cheaper maybe, but probably less reliable if you do much towing

Your stock 5.3 will comfortably tow your maximum towing limit.  Swapping engines will potentially increase your fun factor but may be disappointing, imo, if you are hoping to increase towing abilities.   Keep us posted on your progress!

Your stock 5.3 will comfortably tow your maximum towing limit.  Swapping engines will potentially increase your fun factor but may be disappointing, imo, if you are hoping to increase towing abilities.   Keep us posted on your progress!
True, this isnt my thread but just saying. I have the 5.3 in my truck and the 6.2 in my yukon, the yukon has noticably more power. And you will lose little to no reliability with a 6.2 swap

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

probably better off with a new set of ring gears if your towing with the 5.3, i recommend the  3.75-4.10 gears way more torque out put on the 5.3 vs the economy gears. this is the easiest of all swaps.

also tuning the tcm for less down shifts on the stock trans. factory  is ridiculous on thier shifting and over revving. its all based on emmisions and not usable torque.

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 1

There are minor difference between the years for the 5.3/6.2's. I believe most of it is at the mechanical fuel pump and sensor/wiring to it.

If I remember reading right the 2014-16 are 4 pin and the 2017+ are 3 pin.

Here is the video. So finding a engine from the correct year should be done.

• Like 1