Shit I don’t got that type of money [emoji23] I’m buying a used one from a wrecked truck
Fuggin X2! I aint gonna act like I do n max out credit cards like some folk! Finda wrecked one and slap a cam n headers on it! Then super charge that bish later...

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

On 11/11/2019 at 10:53 AM, Clutch Bo said:

I have a 5.3 with the 6L80 in it and was hoping to swap over to a 6.2 but i can’t find much online about what i will need to replace, anything would help. I know i’ll need a new ECM and possibly a new flex plate but besides that i’m not sure. Thanks in advance!

OP,

Carguts in Blacksburg, SC has a few 6.2's for $3750.00. Get on car-parts.com, enter your search criteria, and you'll find what you need...

Good luck.

• Like 1

I would still hold out for a 6.6... not to mention being the fleet truck engine  it will not have that price mystique the 6.2 has as a lot of guys want way too much for the 6.2 and it's not worth it. 6.6 also doesn't have that retarded afm junk in it either as an added plus.  Bonus is the 6.6 will be found in pick n pulls everywhere in around 8 to 10 years lol.  I'm all about the junkyard LS stuff... my Nova is mild with over 600 wheel on a turbo LQ4 and the bottom end is an unknown mileage wonder mutt.

If you do not know the 6.6 is a stroked 6.2 with the block cast in iron...

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

I would still hold out for a 6.6... not to mention being the fleet truck engine  it will not have that price mystique the 6.2 has as a lot of guys want way too much for the 6.2 and it's not worth it. 6.6 also doesn't have that retarded afm junk in it either as an added plus.  Bonus is the 6.6 will be found in pick n pulls everywhere in around 8 to 10 years lol.  I'm all about the junkyard LS stuff... my Nova is mild with over 600 wheel on a turbo LQ4 and the bottom end is an unknown mileage wonder mutt.

If you do not know the 6.6 is a stroked 6.2 with the block cast in iron...

It's also cast iron and weighs nearly 150lbs more than an L86. 401hp/600lbs = 0.667hp/lb vs 420hp/470lbs = 0.893hp/lb 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

It's also cast iron and weighs nearly 150lbs more than an L86. 401hp/600lbs = 0.667hp/lb vs 420hp/470lbs = 0.893hp/lb 

The guy is swapping for more power and will be tuning his truck in doing so.  So who cares about the stock numbers lol.  I mean are you suggesting it has to be left to an unknown bone stock tune wise for 87 octane gas like the HD truck too.  Just tune the thing.... it will absolutely rape a 6.2 lol.  Mod for mod it will eat a 6.2... Stock is tuned for 87 fuel so put some ignition timing in it and let it eat.  150 lbs is likely closer to 80 to 100 lbs just like the LS iron to aluminum... 100 lbs....whooptee f'ing do on a 6000 lb truck lol.  3200 lb car.. might care... double that?  Nope lol.

It's a 6.2 with a longer stroke and this isn't hard lol.  I know I know... it has 10.8:1 compression... if you think 0.7:1 will offset 25 cubic inches of displacement gained you need to think again.

Take the almighty L86 and stroke it... oh wait... GM did it for you and put it in the Heavy duty truck lineup lol.

Or.. you know what?  It's actually better to think the 6.2 is all that with a bag of chips so the price can stay nice and high and let this worthless fleet truck engine be cheap for the rest of us wanting to make power.  As I already said.. the 6.6 is the new 6 liter replacement and will be coming to you in wrecking yards across the country in the next couple years for a couple hundred dollars.

Edited by SierraHD17

If you like bent connecting rods then boost a stroker motor. That engine will never be anything close to LT1. 6.0L was great under boost, with longer rods, not for me thanks. If you stay NA you might be onto something, its still a fat pig of an engine regardless. 

1 hour ago, L86 All Terrain said:

If you like bent connecting rods then boost a stroker motor. That engine will never be anything close to LT1. 6.0L was great under boost, with longer rods, not for me thanks. If you stay NA you might be onto something, its still a fat pig of an engine regardless. 

Ok.. nothing you said makes any real sense and is actually just rubbish. The rods aren't longer...I mean if you knew anything about how this works you would realize the rods are actually going to be shorter as stroke increases unless the pin height raises or the deck.... look no further than the 4.8 and the 5.3 for rod length using the same piston.   The rods are the exact same length as the mighty LT1.... Yes I know for a fact as I have a connecting rod from a 6.6 new in the box sitting right in front of me.  6.098" center to center just like the rest of them.  Why do I have one rod?   Wanted to see if to use the new crank in my LS3/L9H 6.2 block I would need pistons with an altered pin height or buy the rods... well looks like pistons for me.  So whether they upped the deck height on the 6.6 or just moved piston pin height I won't know until I get a block.

Funny you mention long rod... odd how all those 800+ wheel hp 4.8's survive under boost with a longer connecting rod bahahahahaha.

Guys used to say this sort of stuff back when they thought the 5.7 LS1 was unbeatable.... my how things have changed.

Edited by SierraHD17

Can we have a real convo about this to provide some facts for guys actually wanting to swap? Fussing ruins a good thread. List facts about both engines so guys like myself can have a good idea what they are getting into. For instance im keepin my truck and wont be leasing or buying anything new from gm so swapping to keep my retro is what im gonna do. What benifit is there going 6.6 vs the 6.2? Last i heard stroked engines don't last as long as non stroked or even de-stroked. Most say a stroked 427 wont last long compared to a bored 6.2 to whatever. Im most positive when the 6.6 becomes avalible in parts trucks folks will want 5k or better. Then cam and whatnot from there?

1 minute ago, Snowcamo said:

Can we have a real convo about this to provide some facts for guys actually wanting to swap? Fussing ruins a good thread. List facts about both engines so guys like myself can have a good idea what they are getting into. For instance im keepin my truck and wont be leasing or buying anything new from gm so swapping to keep my retro is what im gonna do. What benifit is there going 6.6 vs the 6.2? Last i heard stroked engines don't last as long as non stroked or even de-stroked. Most say a stroked 427 wont last long compared to a bored 6.2 to whatever. Im most positive when the 6.6 becomes avalible in parts trucks folks will want 5k or better. Then cam and whatnot from there?

You do realize the 6.6 is an engineered fleet engine designed to be beaten at high rpm just like the L96 was.   Oil consumption is an issue on an LSor LT with short sleeves and a 4" stroke... This is  a shorter stroke (3.86") and being the rod is the same length as the existing LS and LT engines with a 3.622 stroke ( 5.3/6.0/6.2) it would not surprise me if they raised the deck height to accommodate the longer stroke crankshaft.  Let's see... advantages?  25 cubes and will always have that over any 6.2... kind of like comparing a 5.3 to a 6.2 here lol.  

The 6.6 is a fleet engine.  It's going in everything from HD trucks to 25000 lb GVWR box trucks and whatever else.  It's going to be as expensive as an L96 is now... 

Why pay a premium for less engine?  And then still get stuck with AFM to delete when you don't have too.

You do realize the 6.6 is an engineered fleet engine designed to be beaten at high rpm just like the L96 was.   Oil consumption is an issue on an LSor LT with short sleeves and a 4" stroke... This is  a shorter stroke (3.86") and being the rod is the same length as the existing LS and LT engines with a 3.622 stroke ( 5.3/6.0/6.2) it would not surprise me if they raised the deck height to accommodate the longer stroke crankshaft.  Let's see... advantages?  25 cubes and will always have that over any 6.2... kind of like comparing a 5.3 to a 6.2 here lol.  

The 6.6 is a fleet engine.  It's going in everything from HD trucks to 25000 lb GVWR box trucks and whatever else.  It's going to be as expensive as an L96 is now... 

Why pay a premium for less engine?  And then still get stuck with AFM to delete when you don't have too.
Ah ok. Are the pistons the same size? Im wondering what heads they are using on them.

Just now, Snowcamo said:

Ah ok. Are the pistons the same size? Im wondering what heads they are using on them.

Same bore in the blockat 4.065" just like the 6.2.  I need to go find a 6.6 truck with the hood open but to be honest as cheap as GM is the same heads as the 6.2 is very likely.  That or we will pull part numbers from the GM parts network and compare.  They did the same with the 6 liter and 6.2 in the last trucks.  Or hell... maybe the runners are larger.  Seems like I am the only person looking into this and excited for it that posts anywhere.  Seems like so many guys on other sites still have it in their head that new HD trucks use a 6 liter lol.  I am getting one as soon as I can grab one.

• Like 1

Im all for more cubes and honestly im interested in seeing what a tuned 6.6 vs 6.2 will put out on paper. There's not allot of guys doing swaps these days with the lt engines and it sucks! Everybody's tryin to keep up with the jones new this and that. Hell most never even held a dang wrench...

Pretty much.  These stupid direct injected engines don't have quick reference numbers like the LS heads had which sucks... and to be a a different part number in the catalog all that is required is a different material used in an exhaust seat even though the head otherwise specs identical.  I want to build a 6.6 LS from this crank but if it means custom pistons which it appears to be then I have to price that and see.  My 2013's 56000 mile L9H sounds like trash and I have another L9H low mile core so I was hoping to turn that into a 6.6 and swap it lol.  

That said if I can get a 6.6 in the next bit i might consider buying a 17 or 18 half ton double cab with loaded cloth interior ( be sweet to find a max tow 5.3) and toss the 5.3 in the bin.  Time will tell.   The other idea is drop the 6.6 in my 2017 HD but who knows if that will work and I am totally on my own figuring that out.  Fun and games!

• Like 1

Pretty much.  These stupid direct injected engines don't have quick reference numbers like the LS heads had which sucks... and to be a a different part number in the catalog all that is required is a different material used in an exhaust seat even though the head otherwise specs identical.  I want to build a 6.6 LS from this crank but if it means custom pistons which it appears to be then I have to price that and see.  My 2013's 56000 mile L9H sounds like trash and I have another L9H low mile core so I was hoping to turn that into a 6.6 and swap it lol.  

That said if I can get a 6.6 in the next bit i might consider buying a 17 or 18 half ton double cab with loaded cloth interior ( be sweet to find a max tow 5.3) and toss the 5.3 in the bin.  Time will tell.   The other idea is drop the 6.6 in my 2017 HD but who knows if that will work and I am totally on my own figuring that out.  Fun and games!
Yeah seems like a stout engine. If the price is comparable to the 6.0 ill likely pick one up as its a no brainer in a sense. Having said that dont the hd truck have different wiring and sensors?

12 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

Yeah seems like a stout engine. If the price is comparable to the 6.0 ill likely pick one up as its a no brainer in a sense. Having said that dont the hd truck have different wiring and sensors?

No.  The ecm is of the new variety ( no word if its the half tons E90... need to get one)  but you don't use that anyway.. use the existing 5.3 harness and the E92 ecm the truck has and tune it no different than you would throwing in a 6.2.  

Edited by SierraHD17