2015 SIERRA 2500 DURAMAX PAINT PEELING

I bought a new 2015 Sierra 2500 Duramax in April and it now has about 5000 miles on it. The paint has began to peel in three different locations all on the doors. GM is willing to fix the issue under warranty at no cost to me. I have gone in circles with the dealer and GM customer service about doing more for me, which has not got me any further. I am having a difficult time buying a $50k truck and the paint start to peel within 5000 miles and getting a band aid paint job from a dealer. Has anyone else experienced this crap factory paint? How did GM take care of you (or lack of)?

post-134081-0-18735500-1410539090_thumb.jpg

I saw your post over at GMInsideNews, and saw you have a Ft. Wayne built truck.

#PIT5313: Paint Peeling Above Anti-Chip Area - (Aug 19, 2014)

Models: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Built at Ft. Wayne Assembly (11th VIN Position = Z) Built Prior to 5/15/2014

Hopefully your dealer is aware of this GM note and can take care of you right. GM is aware of this issue and did make changes to the assembly line process to eliminate it. Should be 100% covered by warranty.

I saw your post over at GMInsideNews, and saw you have a Ft. Wayne built truck.

Hopefully your dealer is aware of this GM note and can take care of you right. GM is aware of this issue and did make changes to the assembly line process to eliminate it. Should be 100% covered by warranty.

All HD trucks are Flint built, IIRC.

He should also get some sort of compensation as well, as his truck will take a resale value hit now that the paint isn't 100% original.

He should also get some sort of compensation as well, as his truck will take a resale value hit now that the paint isn't 100% original.

Flint and Ft Wayne build HD trucks. Regular and double cab so far have been rolling out of Ft Wayne, and Crews are Flint only. My 15 HD regular cab? Ft. Wayne.

Who is going to know its not original?

Why is he entitled to compensation?

It is a double cab, assembled in ft wayne. GM has offered to fix the defective areas only. Put yourself in my shoes. Factory paint is supposed to be better than any dealer finish. I paid for a factory finish and now I will have blended door panels and deal with possible dealer quality issues as well. One of the first questions someone asks when buying a used vehicle is if any paint or body work been done. I would have a hard time lying and I am sure the dealer paint finish will not look exactly the same as the rest of the factory paint on the truck. With problems at 5000 miles I am sure there will be more areas to become defective, probably past the 3years, 36000 mile warranty. Gm is aware of the issue with early build trucks at ft Wayne. They did not even offer to extend the factory warranty for the period of my ownership. I have not saw any other personal complaints about 2015 Sierra 2500 Duramax paint issues and feel like I am the only one getting screwed. I love everything else about the truck and I guess it is just my luck that this has happened to me.

Put yourself in my shoes. Factory paint is supposed to be better than any dealer finish. I paid for a factory finish and now I will have blended door panels and deal with possible dealer quality issues as well.

Depends on body shop. My 2000 Tahoe Z71 had damage on a door that I only noticed a few days after purchased (new, way back). They fixed it and even now in the bright sun I can't see the repair. So there is hope....

Who is going to know its not original?

Why is he entitled to compensation?

Any competent appraiser.

The paint is peeling on a truck that is less than a year old, do you believe that is acceptable? His vehicle will be worth less because of a factory defect, I believe that entitles him to some compensation.

Depends on body shop. My 2000 Tahoe Z71 had damage on a door that I only noticed a few days after purchased (new, way back). They fixed it and even now in the bright sun I can't see the repair. So there is hope....

Flint and Ft Wayne build HD trucks. Regular and double cab so far have been rolling out of Ft Wayne, and Crews are Flint only. My 15 HD regular cab? Ft. Wayne.

Take it in and have it appraised, I bet the dealership will be able to tell it's had paint work done. Granted on a truck that's 14 years old it probably won't deduct from the value, but on a new vehicle it definitely will. I've seen it happen more than a few times.

Thanks for the clarification newdude.

Hi Sean 350,

I deeply apologize that your paint has begun to peel on your new Sierra. Please know that we take these comments seriously and have documented them within our system so they can be seen by the appropriate teams. You mention GM has agreed to fix the defective areas. I’m happy to hear that you’ve reached a resolution. Could you please just send a private message with your VIN or case number? I’d like to look into this a little further. I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Eddie A.
GM Customer Care

• 3 months later...

Hey Sean,

How did GM handle your paint defect? I have a 2015 Chevy 2500 HD I bought a month and a half ago and the paint is peeling on both passenger doors. The dealer said they would fix the areas and that was it! I agree with you! I didn't pay 50k to have the paint start peeling before 3k miles and then to have GM offer a bandaid fix is a real slap in the face!

I bought a new 2015 Sierra 2500 Duramax in April and it now has about 5000 miles on it. The paint has began to peel in three different locations all on the doors. GM is willing to fix the issue under warranty at no cost to me. I have gone in circles with the dealer and GM customer service about doing more for me, which has not got me any further. I am having a difficult time buying a $50k truck and the paint start to peel within 5000 miles and getting a band aid paint job from a dealer. Has anyone else experienced this crap factory paint? How did GM take care of you (or lack of)?

I don't know how they take care of that issue today but my dad had a peeling problem on his vandura back in '80's and it was due to bad primming or cleaning before primer it was so long ago and it was like pulling teeth for GM to do anything back then they band aid the problem to the point that they had to do the whole truck and even then they did a half assed job . i hope my new 2015 silverado will not have any problems like that . good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Archived