2015 Navigation Map Update Available

I just received and installed my updated Maps for Navigation and Weather Apps today (USB Thumb Drive). Everything went just fine :lurk:

Weather Apps????? Do I have weather apps or where do you get them??

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the time I bought my truck, the maps that were in the Nav were considered to be the latest available according to the data provider's web site. There were no updates available at the time even though technically they were old with some roads in my area missing. We've had a lot of new toll roads added in my area, so I wanted to have the latest map data. That is the only reason I got the update.

And after loading the update, there is something new...one might call it a "feature", although no one seems to know what it is or how to turn it off...every once in a while, it just blurts out, "Warning, you are approaching a divided highway!" I have found that it is not random as it happens every time I drive through 3 specific locations (probably will be more that I haven't run across yet), so it is repeatable. It happens whether I have an active trip route or not. It doesn't matter whether radio / Nav is on or not...just blurts it out. Called MyLink folks and they don't know what I'm talking about. Someone else on here mentioned it too. Most annoying.

I get a similar message, even when not on the Nav screen. "Caution Ferry". Every time I pass the same intersection. And the alert is loud, louder than my stereo volume.

I do the same and just a Garmin for $88 with free maps. Garmin never failed me and I have it on all the time because I like the speed limit sign and distance from each location. Plus the fact if you don't travel too much or don't need it for business etc. there is really no need for it to get you to the mall, stores etc. in your location. GPS sales are down this year.

GPS sales are down because everyone has a smartphone with it built-in.

GPS sales are down because everyone has a smartphone with it built-in.

I agree but the best place to make a lot of money selling GPS now is getting the auto companies to put them into vehicles. They could sell updates etc. where portable or smartphone GPS could do it at a very cheaper cost. You can see they put the built in GPS in with a discount package which pumps up the cost of the vehicle. They bury the price (don't know) that way and to put it in after getting the vehicle, it could cost from $1,000 to $2,000 (plus) depending on the trim level.

I agree but the best place to make a lot of money selling GPS now is getting the auto companies to put them into vehicles. They could sell updates etc. where portable or smartphone GPS could do it a very cheaper cost. You can see they put the built in GPS in with a discount package which pumps up the cost of the vehicle. They bury the price (don't know) that way and to put it in after getting the vehicle, it could cost from $1,000 to $2,000 (plus) depending on the trim level.

I disagree.

The hardware "costs what it costs", and the program to create the routes and give directions is largely "done" - calculating a route is a math formula. The money was, is, and always will be in selling map updates, real-time traffic, and even weather information. The integration between the in-vehicle systems and XM will always be how the manufacturers increase revenue. Comanies like Garmin provide things like real-time traffic updates via HD Radio signals, which are "free". There's no money in that for the vehicle manufacturers, and there'e no revenue to companies like Garmin to change their software to use data from XM instead of HD Radio.

The way that the vehicle manufacturers AND the portable navigation providers BOTH make money is through an in-dash connection and software to link with an app on the portable hardware. That would allow the portable unit's brain and data to be used with the vehicle's in-dash display and audio system. I predicted this sort of connectivity about five years ago, and I'm still waiting for it to show up. It WILL come. The question is simply when.

Twenty years ago, as our CD player in the skipped from the bumpy dirt road, I said someday our music will be on a solid state chip. iPods and MP3 players got us part way, but this truck is the first one for me that had a direct interface with solid state memory. The world turns slow in some areas.

I disagree.

The hardware "costs what it costs", and the program to create the routes and give directions is largely "done" - calculating a route is a math formula. The money was, is, and always will be in selling map updates, real-time traffic, and even weather information. The integration between the in-vehicle systems and XM will always be how the manufacturers increase revenue. Comanies like Garmin provide things like real-time traffic updates via HD Radio signals, which are "free". There's no money in that for the vehicle manufacturers, and there'e no revenue to companies like Garmin to change their software to use data from XM instead of HD Radio.

The way that the vehicle manufacturers AND the portable navigation providers BOTH make money is through an in-dash connection and software to link with an app on the portable hardware. That would allow the portable unit's brain and data to be used with the vehicle's in-dash display and audio system. I predicted this sort of connectivity about five years ago, and I'm still waiting for it to show up. It WILL come. The question is simply when.

When the first built in GPS came into play they were well over $4,000 with less connections to it. Now you can change out a complete 8 inch screen system for about $2,000. My first portable GPS was $1,200 and now I got a far better one for $88 (w/free updates). You once paid extra for a FM radio which is now standard equipment. Computers, cellphones, portable GPS and etc. at one time were very expensive. I feel this would go the same way. Right now this is where companies can make the most money at this time. I agree some times the hardware is the cheapest thing to buy but they catch you on the monthly services cost. But right now the built in GPS hardware is still high until something new comes out.

I don't know the pricing on various model, but the add-on for NAVI, BT, USB, and the 8" screen in my Sierra was $500. Considering everything it added, that seems a somewhat nominal cost. But, I understand your point and agree that it can only get cheaper to make as we "move forward" technologically.

I get a similar message, even when not on the Nav screen. "Caution Ferry". Every time I pass the same intersection. And the alert is loud, louder than my stereo volume.

Is it really near a Ferry? At least my issue is near a divided highway. And yes, it is very loud. So much that it startles everyone in the truck!

I don't know the pricing on various model, but the add-on for NAVI, BT, USB, and the 8" screen in my Sierra was $500. Considering everything it added, that seems a somewhat nominal cost. But, I understand your point and agree that it can only get cheaper to make as we "move forward" technologically.

I don't think the $500 cost is fully looked at. For some options it is cheaper to purchase the items in the truck at the time you purchase the truck. In the 2014 you couldn't get the GPS unless you go into a higher trim level (not available in WT). This is extra money for a higher trim level. Next to get the 8 inch "Diagonal Color Touch Screen" which is included in packages like the "All Star Edition" (in the area of $2,600) is extra money or if not there would be an additional price in the base of the truck. Next you have to pay for the cost to update the screen for GPS and pay for updates extra. You do get a lot more items in the vehicle (some are great but some are not needed for your use) so to get the GPS can push you up to $5,000 (plus) additional money. GM ties you into purchasing more options to only get the item your really wanted. These are all add on cost.

I don't think the $500 cost is fully looked at. For some options it is cheaper to purchase the items in the truck at the time you purchase the truck. In the 2014 you couldn't get the GPS unless you go into a higher trim level (not available in WT). This is extra money for a higher trim level. Next to get the 8 inch "Diagonal Color Touch Screen" which is included in packages like the "All Star Edition" (in the area of $2,600) is extra money or if not there would be an additional price in the base of the truck. Next you have to pay for the cost to update the screen for GPS and pay for updates extra. You do get a lot more items in the vehicle (some are great but some are not needed for your use) so to get the GPS can push you up to $5,000 (plus) additional money. GM ties you into purchasing more options to only get the item your really wanted. These are all add on cost.

Yes... I follow this. And, it's something that I have a love/hate relationship with.

Ford is completely A-La-Carte. You can have anything in any combination with any other thing. Drives me nuts because no car out there would ever have exactly what I wanted - always had way too much or way too little. Of course, now I won't buy them because I've had so many problems with them in the last two years (four vehicles, three with significant issues).

Other companies ding you for the add-on at what looks like a low cost, but you have already sunk thousands into the vehicle elsewhere to make the add-on available!

Is it really near a Ferry? At least my issue is near a divided highway. And yes, it is very loud. So much that it startles everyone in the truck!

To get it to stop doing that, you have to turn off the sound in the navigation system. I got annoyed by being told that a toll booth approached. Took me forever to figure out that the nav was telling me that, even though I wasn't using the navigation at the time.

This is pretty scary and something to watch out! Yikes!

GPS may have told man to drive off Indiana bridge!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gps-may-have-told-man-to-drive-off-indiana-bridge-cops/ar-AAacOJs

The reason how important it is to get updates especially for out of state. This should be a warning for people who are doing other things (checking mail etc.) while driving using the GPS.

Maybe this is an argument for free maps. Liability issues. IE McDonald's claim with the hot coffee spilling on someone lap. Case settled for lots of money.

Archived