Who would get the V6 instead of the V8 if the MPG were better?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me a V6 would only be about mileage on a full size truck. I don't see any other reason to get one. Plus, the bible says a truck should be V8.

That handle is too funny yellowface-smiley_zps2a246bcc.jpg

I don't know how the new V6 performs but it did replace the Chevy 4.8 V8 which I had in my 2008 Chevy Silverado. The new V6 has the V6-V4 cut back. The new V6 looks like a great motor but it doesn't seem to get the MPG. That is the only reason I got the 5.3 V8. I just can't see why GM can't get better gas mileage. Does GM want to sell more V8's (additional cost/money) and not put the time and effort on the V6 for mileage?

I had a 1983 Chevy regular cab (basic no option truck) with a straight 6 automatic with overdrive and I got great gas mileage on that truck. It had enough power to pull light duty boat. 0 to 65 was a little bit slower but not noticeable to me. I put over 180,000 plus miles on it with no issues with it and I hit a deer which totaled it out. Very plain and simple. Great truck.

I still can't understand how a regular, double and crew cab can be listed with the same mileage. There is a weight difference and GM can still claim the same mileage. GM leads you to believe to carry more and get the same MPG from a crew cab as you get if you got a regular cab. Weight is a factor to lighten up your truck to get better mpg. Why is the new Ford truck claiming a weight difference for better MPG?

Ford feels gas mileage is important in trucks especially with the new laws for mileage coming up. A lot of people do shop for the lowest cost/price for gas. Now a days you have to be working for better MPG to stay in business.

I used to be a V8 only guy and a gear head, for the performance and sound. Now that I prefer a quieter sound and the performance in the V6s are getting real good, if the MPGs are there Ill switch. If new mid sized GMs get the MPGs Ill be in a V6 for the first time in a truck. Those trucks look real good and the performance is real good, MPGs, Im waiting for feed back.

I have the 5.3 & probably would've splurged on the 6.2 if it were available when I bought mine and that was the only additional cost (the engine up charge all other options equal)

I am sure this V6 is capable enough to do what needs to be done, but I have a CC 4wd long bed, truck is 6,000 lbs give or take, start adding people and gear and you'll start to notice the difference I torque/power. In all honesty this 5.3 is probably the most reasonable compromise between size/hp/tq/efficieny for all trucks out there...but in America the old adage "more is better" tends to ring true most of the time & hence we have corvette powered trucks, supercharged Cadillac station wagons, 900 lb/ft diesel trucks, & Mercedes G wagons w/ blown V12s lol!

The reason the smaller engine offering is a V6 is money. A V6 is cheaper to build than an equivalent displacement or smaller V8. Parts count. That's what costs in manufacturing.

if it had 10mpg better i'd consider it. the 5.3 and 6.2 are so close together in mpg though i saw no reason to pick a 5.3 and the same goes for a v6

if you calculate cost over the long run, 1mpg is only like 200 a year i believe based on todays gas prices if you drive 10k miles a year.

if it had 10mpg better i'd consider it. the 5.3 and 6.2 are so close together in mpg though i saw no reason to pick a 5.3 and the same goes for a v6

if you calculate cost over the long run, 1mpg is only like 200 a year i believe based on todays gas prices if you drive 10k miles a year.

I agree MPG is nor hear or there. But you do have to figure upcharge in engine packages. Say an extra 1500 for the upgrade own the vehicle for 5 years thats up to a 3 grand in savings. saving money matters to a lot of people. One thing with the 6.2l is the up charge is actually a lot higher as you can only get it in premium trims, which means getting the 6.2l can potentially cost you over 10 grand more plus the loss of 200 bucks a year.

I agree MPG is nor hear or there. But you do have to figure upcharge in engine packages. Say an extra 1500 for the upgrade own the vehicle for 5 years thats up to a 3 grand in savings. saving money matters to a lot of people. One thing with the 6.2l is the up charge is actually a lot higher as you can only get it in premium trims, which means getting the 6.2l can potentially cost you over 10 grand more plus the loss of 200 bucks a year.

You can burn one fuel in the 6.2, the 5.3 have four.

Read about the V6 in the 2015 Colorado -

2015 Chevrolet Colorado is the 2015 Motor Trend Truck of the Year

IIRC - the 3.6 that they are using is a updated model from the 2004 Cadillac CTS, more similar to the one they ised in 2008 or 09 where it was upgraded to 305hp. lots of issues with that motor and GM has been throwing it in almost all their cars and smaller "suv's" (if you consider a equanox a suv..)

they have timing chain and oil consumption issues. maybe these have been resolved though, but in the end of the day its a car motor, not designed for pulling heavy loads and long term abuse.

As the old saying goes, it's better to have and not need, then need and not have and I can't think of a better way this quote applies than when it comes to power and a truck. The mileage difference between the V6 and V8 in our trucks is negligible at best. If mpg's was my main concern, I would of bought a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. To answer the original question, the V-6 would have to get at least 22 mpg city and 27 city for me to remotely consider it. Unless you're buying a stripped down truck becasue of cash limitation, spring for the V8 in a full size or go buy a mid size.

That's how I feel about 4x4.

you mean should burn one fuel in the 6.2. it will not break running 3 or 4 different octanes in it.

I wouldn't run under 91 fuel in a 6.2 for too long. It can result in ugly looking pistons, maybe even a few holes.

Archived