Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

yanzhixiang

Bilstein shocks thread

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Epsilon Plus said:

Do the 5100s have a "0" setting? I'm still trying to wrap my head around if they are for trucks WITH a level or can level themselves, or do both in combination.

 

I have a BDS 2" level that I am happy with. Truck sits perfect and drives fine. I have no interest at all in any extra added height, but I'm looking for some good shocks to tow with. The 4600s sound fine to me but they are for stock height apparently. That's fine for the rear, but again, I'm 2" higher up front. Does this imply that the 4600s would be too short and top out a ton with a 2" up front? Will the 5100s work in front for me without adding any more lift?

 

Since I'm here, how do the shocks lift anyway? Valve the fluid up and put all the pressure on an internal spacer/solenoid that provides the lift? I suppose I could delete the BDS and just do 5100 but I'd imagine the shocks would last longer if they weren't artificially trying to support the weight of the front end up. Maybe I have it all wrong?

 

Not looking to do any off-road. Just bought a max GVWR 7,000# travel trailer and looking for ideas to help keep it planted where it should be.

 

Thanks for any tips/info.

I have the 5100 shocks with a Rugged Off Road 2" spacer under the front strut.  I couldn't stand the Ranchos and didn't want to use the strut as the lift.  I'm happy with the setup and the ride is great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jimbrown1 said:

I have the 5100 shocks with a Rugged Off Road 2" spacer under the front strut.  I couldn't stand the Ranchos and didn't want to use the strut as the lift.  I'm happy with the setup and the ride is great. 

To @Epsilon Plus

 

Coil-overs work by placing the shock inside the coil spring, but that coil spring has to have an attachment or "perch" location on the shock itself. The Bilstein 5100's have 4 settings. The lowest setting is "stock" height. Top setting is about 1.8 inches above stock.

 

If you have a lift that uses shims above or below your coilover unit, and you are using stock shocks, then you can simply change out your shocks with the 4600's or the 5100's set at the lowest perch setting. Most people get the 5100's INSTEAD of using shims, because the spring perch can be set higher. The shock fluid is not the cause of the lift, the fact that the coil spring sits higher on the shock is what is doing the work. Like choking up on a baseball bat. So for example, you could get rid of the BDS hardware at the front of your truck and just use the Bilstein 5100's at the top setting. Supposedly you will get a better ride quality as well.

 

I have the Bilstein 5100's on my truck and they ride great. Way better than the Ranchos that I took out of there.

 

I hope that helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThundahBeagle said:

 

Love your dog! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Love your dog! 

Thanks, Grump! Me too. One of the best dogs I've ever had. He's all "go, go, go!" and wants to be outside in the woods and mountains all the time "on the hunt."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ThundahBeagle said:

Thanks, Grump! Me too. One of the best dogs I've ever had. He's all "go, go, go!" and wants to be outside in the woods and mountains all the time "on the hunt."

I love Beagles but he wife doesn't like their bay. We have this 17"  33# Rat (Rex). Rare to hear him.

He is a perfect truck dog. Travels really well and nobody is getting in the truck he doesn't know. 

Young man found that out trying to take my phone. Ops! Tinted glass LOL 

 

IMG_2273.JPG.1860a9f1768fdecd4803e0f55d91c76a.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I love Beagles but he wife doesn't like their bay. We have this 17"  33# Rat (Rex). Rare to hear him.

He is a perfect truck dog. Travels really well and nobody is getting in the truck he doesn't know. 

Young man found that out trying to take my phone. Ops! Tinted glass LOL 

 

IMG_2273.JPG.1860a9f1768fdecd4803e0f55d91c76a.JPG

Beautiful dog, Grumpy! I like the brindle coloring.

 

Here's Scout the Thundah Beagle at Mt. Washington this past weekend:

 

20200801_180908.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scout will really only bay when he's on a hot scent or has visually acquired a rabbit. He will more traditionally bark if theres someone at the door or just outside the house though. Other than that he doesnt really make a noise for not reason, so if he barks or bays, I have to get up and look around to see what he sees.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2020 at 1:53 PM, jimbrown1 said:

I have the 5100 shocks with a Rugged Off Road 2" spacer under the front strut.  I couldn't stand the Ranchos and didn't want to use the strut as the lift.  I'm happy with the setup and the ride is great. 

 

On 8/5/2020 at 8:36 AM, ThundahBeagle said:

To @Epsilon Plus

 

Coil-overs work by placing the shock inside the coil spring, but that coil spring has to have an attachment or "perch" location on the shock itself. The Bilstein 5100's have 4 settings. The lowest setting is "stock" height. Top setting is about 1.8 inches above stock.

 

If you have a lift that uses shims above or below your coilover unit, and you are using stock shocks, then you can simply change out your shocks with the 4600's or the 5100's set at the lowest perch setting. Most people get the 5100's INSTEAD of using shims, because the spring perch can be set higher. The shock fluid is not the cause of the lift, the fact that the coil spring sits higher on the shock is what is doing the work. Like choking up on a baseball bat. So for example, you could get rid of the BDS hardware at the front of your truck and just use the Bilstein 5100's at the top setting. Supposedly you will get a better ride quality as well.

 

I have the Bilstein 5100's on my truck and they ride great. Way better than the Ranchos that I took out of there.

 

I hope that helps

 

Both these help.

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally completed my 6112 & 5160 upgrade and I am pretty blown away with how much it changed the dynamics of the truck. The OEM Ranchos felt like they were all spring and no shock and were just very bouncy in general. The 6112’s added needed composure over highway and off-road. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't drive a 2014+ but I have a 2011 Silverado with 275/55r20 stock wheels and I'm upgrading the suspension this coming month.  I'm awaiting quotes from 2 different shops.  

Planning on 6112's in front at the 3rd setting and 5100 or 5160 in the rear.  My question is are people recommending UCA's for this?  I'd like to avoid spending the money if it's not needed.   I'll prob go with what the shop says, but I'd like to get opinions before I hear back.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2020 at 2:14 AM, Gears and Gadgets said:

I finally completed my 6112 & 5160 upgrade and I am pretty blown away with how much it changed the dynamics of the truck. The OEM Ranchos felt like they were all spring and no shock and were just very bouncy in general. The 6112’s added needed composure over highway and off-road. 

 

Hello, good video, 

 what rotors do you have?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do the 5100's ride at 0 with a 2" spacer vs. no spacer but spring perch on the highest setting?

 

What would be better all around for me to do. I currently have a 2" motofab spacer but I'm only looking to clear 33's or a little bit bigger and am willing to not have exactly 2" and remove my motofab rear block and go back to stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vivalapalmer said:

How do the 5100's ride at 0 with a 2" spacer vs. no spacer but spring perch on the highest setting?

 

What would be better all around for me to do. I currently have a 2" motofab spacer but I'm only looking to clear 33's or a little bit bigger and am willing to not have exactly 2" and remove my motofab rear block and go back to stock.

 

I think you have a couple of points of confusion here. Or I am confused about your post, one or the other. Either way, this response should cover it:

 

Firstly, the front, adjustable Bilstein 5100's are not meant to be used with a spacer. There is no reason to place them at the lowest setting and then use a spacer. If you are going to do that, just put the Bilstein on a higher setting of your choice. Mine are all the way up (almost 2 inches) and I like it. I'm sure the stock setting would be nice as well.

 

Secondly, you mention removing the rear block. The 5100 fronts are adjustable, but the rears are not, so you could still use a rear block if you wanted to.

 

I would think that 33's would fit with 2 inches of lift. They tuck 33's under the Trail Boss. That has 2 inches of lift and people sometimes say the 33's look small on it. I dont say that, but some people do.

 

I hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThundahBeagle said:

 

I think you have a couple of points of confusion here. Or I am confused about your post, one or the other. Either way, this response should cover it:

 

Firstly, the front, adjustable Bilstein 5100's are not meant to be used with a spacer. There is no reason to place them at the lowest setting and then use a spacer. If you are going to do that, just put the Bilstein on a higher setting of your choice. Mine are all the way up (almost 2 inches) and I like it. I'm sure the stock setting would be nice as well.

 

Secondly, you mention removing the rear block. The 5100 fronts are adjustable, but the rears are not, so you could still use a rear block if you wanted to.

 

I would think that 33's would fit with 2 inches of lift. They tuck 33's under the Trail Boss. That has 2 inches of lift and people sometimes say the 33's look small on it. I dont say that, but some people do.

 

I hope this helps.

Yes, it does help somewhat! Thanks for the response. I know the rears are not adjustable, I had full 5100's on my tacoma. I just know that with the 2" spacer the front looked nose high, and with 1.85", I think if I went back to stock the truck might look similar. I only added the rear block because the 2" spacer up front was too much.

 

But thanks for clearing that up, if I want 5100's all around, then dont use the spacer. I'm worried because to use the 2" motofab spacer you have to cut some of the studs off on the shock mount. Hopefully there is still enough bolt to get the shock mount in with the spacer out, securely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I read dozens of the pages on this thread - didn't find my question discussed ?

 

2017 Silverado High Country with 6.2L - I would like to "tighten" up the handling without raising, lowering, etc ... don't mind a bit harder ride, but really hate it when this things starts hanging in corners like on sharp interstate exits ...

 

I put Bilstein HDs on an older Ford SportTrac and it was an amazing difference ...

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.