Brighter LED DRLs? Yup!

I think it's more than just supplying the top row with more power.

If I'm correct, the bottom row has two sets of LEDs, 1 set used for night time parking lights and then both sets are lit during the day causing them to be brighter. If this is true, then the top row only has 1 set of LEDs so technically they can't get brighter unless you add more LEDs.

I doubt it. There is more likely a pulsed sine wave sent for the dims, and full voltage for brights.

• Like 1

Why does your pic show a jumper diode from the pink connector to the black? Your text and diagrams show black to brown.

Sorry, I also did the reverse/cargo light diode mod at the same time. Now when I unlock I have reverse, cargo and box lights on. And I'll also have the cargo light on when the truck is in reverse.

Well I bought a few packs of diodes at lunch and was going to do this after work along with the cargo light and puddle light mods..... I failed miserably lol!

Is there an easy way to get to the connectors that I've missed somewhere? I'm 5'7" and 165 pounds and couldn't hardly manage to get up in there to get at these to work with them. I had the diodes in the pins on the black connector from 1 to 7 no sweat; but the one kept popping out of from the brown to black connector as it seemed it wasn't long enough, or I just pushed one end in too far. Do they snap in, or do you just push until they stop going in?

Sorry I'm sure I'm making this way harder than it should be haha.

-Skeet

Edited by SkeeterMcSkeet

Well I bought a few packs of diodes at lunch and was going to do this after work along with the cargo light and puddle light mods..... I failed miserably lol!

Is there an easy way to get to the connectors that I've missed somewhere? I'm 5'7" and 165 pounds and couldn't hardly manage to get up in there to get at these to work with them. I had the diodes in the pins on the black connector from 1 to 7 no sweat; but the one kept popping out of from the brown to black connector as it seemed it wasn't long enough, or I just pushed one end in too far. Do they snap in, or do you just push until they stop going in?

Sorry I'm sure I'm making this way harder than it should be haha.

-Skeet

I was never able to get the diodes to stay in place when I tried. The leads always bent no matter how many times I tried. I eventually just used some T-taps. I crimped the diode leads inside of a male quick disconnect and plugged those into the T-taps. Easy enough and non invasive enough to make me happy.

some have had luck by using needle nose pliers to hold the diode.

Edited by Mike1220
  • Like 1

I was never able to get the diodes to stay in place when I tried. The leads always bent no matter how many times I tried. I eventually just used some T-taps. I crimped the diode leads inside of a male quick disconnect and plugged those into the T-taps. Easy enough and non invasive enough to make me happy.

some have had luck by using needle nose pliers to hold the diode.

That thought crossed my mind several times to just tap in and I've got a bag of those laying around somewhere. I may go that route if I can't get these diodes to stay in place. I kept bending the hell out of diodes as well lol.

If you are applying full voltage to those you are going to kill them pretty quickly. They are PWM for both modes, testing showed HUGE loss in service life at full power.

Hmmm maybe it was a sign from above telling me to leave them alone lol. I'd still like to get the cargo light and puddle light mods done.

-Skeet

Edited by SkeeterMcSkeet

If you are applying full voltage to those you are going to kill them pretty quickly. They are PWM for both modes, testing showed HUGE loss in service life at full power.

Chris

What's the source of the test data? Is the data public?

• Like 1

Chris

What's the source of the test data? Is the data public?

Ya, I'd also like some more info on this.

Let's put it this way:

Scenario 1: Truck drives 60,000KM in daytime only = uses DRL's only.

Scenario 2: Truck drives 60,000KM at night only = uses low beams along with DRL's.

What would the difference on "wear" be?

The diode isn't increasing voltage or power, all it is doing is sending the signal for them to turn on.

• Like 1

I seriously think my brain fried, I Thought I was on the Tahoe board LOL No the Headlamp modules work differently in the pickups vs the way the BCM was directly driving DRL's in other vehicles. Not an issue on these; man I derped out hard LOL

• Like 1

for those of you who have done this, does the brighter DRL have a slightly different color? Or does it just become brighter? I don't really want to have one brighter than the other but I am still on the fence of doing this. If both LED strips are still the same color then I will be more likely to do this.

I would make this decision myself based off of pics posted but in my experience with taking pics of my lights i know I can turn on all my off road lights and headlights and everything will look the same in a picture but actually seeing everything in person will result in seeing differences in color