Are the Headlights Dim In Your '14 or '15 Sierra? Read On

Gorehamj

I have the same issue with my truck. I have to run the fog lights at all times to try and light the road up. I did switch all the bulbs to Sylvania ZXE. These bulbs are brighter but still because the headlights are a focused beam I still don't light up the road like I used to with my 2012 Silverado.

GM dropped the ball on these headlights as far as I am concerned. I love the truck but hate the headlights at night.

I live where there are not any street lights and if I don't have my high beams on it is very difficult to see. I have perfect vision as well. Just wanted to throw that in.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a letter from them with a case number. Waiting.

What does this mean... You're suing gm?

I read that as he had contacted GM and was given a case # for reference.

(Is that correct shedkept?)

Maybe we all would need to do that, and then call, like once a week (Or once a day?) until they decide to step up and do something?

I read that as he had contacted GM and was given a case # for reference.

(Is that correct shedkept?)

Maybe we all would need to do that, and then call, like once a week (Or once a day?) until they decide to step up and do something?

Good idea I will start tomorrow.

The truck was sold last week. No help in sight and no communication from GM. Cut losses and move on.

What good is a truck that you're not comfortable driving all the time?

I'm probably done with GM as a brand. This and new Corvette engines blowing up is enough to cast a lot of doubt over their ability to turn out a good and reliable product.

I cannot say anything negative about my dealer. They can only do what "corporate" allows and it's not their fault. The engineers and bean counters failed them and ultimately all of us.

Good luck to all of you.

I think you made the right choice given the circumstances.

The truck was sold last week. No help in sight and no communication from GM. Cut losses and move on.

What good is a truck that you're not comfortable driving all the time?

I'm probably done with GM as a brand. This and new Corvette engines blowing up is enough to cast a lot of doubt over their ability to turn out a good and reliable product.

I cannot say anything negative about my dealer. They can only do what "corporate" allows and it's not their fault. The engineers and bean counters failed them and ultimately all of us.

Good luck to all of you.

What did you replace the truck with?

Nothing, though when I do it will not be a Ford diesel. FWIW; My insurance agent was telling me the story of a client who has had "3" 6.7 Powerstroke engines blow on him. He's also had 3 sets of heads and more sensors than he can remember. He does get a new 100,000 mile warranty every time but I can only imagine how many rattles the truck has now with the cab coming off 3 times for engine replacement. :banghead:

I'm considering gas engines since I'm getting feedback from contractors who are replacing their diesel trucks with gasoline engines as the diesels are more expensive to maintain and they're not getting any real benefit when they sell to make up for the initial front end costs. The math used to work when diesel fuel was cheaper than gas and they got good economy. Now that they have every contraption imagined to clean them up they aren't as reliable and they do no better than a gas engine.

Were I to go back to Ford it would be a 5.0. I'm not sold at all on the 3.6 Eco Boost just because it had problems right out of the box and nobody can get the fuel economy they claim it will achieve. Their are other concerns as well which I'm not going to waste bandwidth on.

I've never been fan of Dodge. Great engine (Cummins) but the bodies aren't good at all when it come to corrosion. Rust and more rust.

We've got trucks on the farm that can be used anytime needed and I won't be walking because my everyday driver is a 16 year old AWD wagon with 171,000 miles. It has great headlights too! Came that way from the factory. :sigh:

You are all absolutely right. The first thing I noticed on my 2014 Silverado 1500 was how dim the lights where. Being nieve and seeing the projection lights i figured HIDs. Coming from an 06 Escalade that had factory HIDs. I've complained but we know that dont do anything, I hate the lighting so bad I ordered a 2016. (Also got the 6.2 as i feel the 5.3 is not snappy/under powered-not happy with the AFM either, may get that shut off on new truck). Driver door wind noise also a problem. Anywho....

If this '16 sucks, Toyota here I come. LOL. Been GM all my life, the 2014 was my biggest disappointment......

The EPA ruined diesels. They were so great in the early '00's. Now with DPF causing constant problems, urea adding to the already higher cost of diesel fuel, the diesel's super-sensitivity to ANYTHING but ULTRA-low sulphur fuel, and the fact a well equipped truck will set you back about $70 large, it's just not a smart choice, unless you're going to live on the road hauling freight every single day of it's existence.

I just turned down my dad's '09 2500HD Duramax. Thing has 91k on it. U-joints are squeaking like hell at slow speeds, e-brake cable broke last year, all the wording and symbols have worn through on all the radio buttons, and he spent about $2k on trips to the dealer because of that stupid-assed DPF plugging up every 200 miles like clockwork. He had that tuned out, and a '05 exhaust system installed, but I still don't want to deal with it.

My next truck is going to be something 40 or older ...

• 2 weeks later...

Just some additional on the headlights. The 2016 Sierra and Silverado come with LED projector headlights and fog lights. New owners report they are great.

I was thinking of this headlight issue when I saw my friend's 2008 Lexus. Don't ask me which one, they all look the same to me. Anyway, his lights were extremely dim. I looked at them and found that they were halogen projectors like our 2014-15 trucks. I had thought all Lexus cars came with HID, but his must be a base model. His used a H11 bulb, which is even less powerful than our 9012 bulbs. They are really dim. More so than ours.

My '07 uses H11's for low beam - things are like two suns. Best headlights I've ever owned. At least GM got one thing right on my truck ...

Must be the lamp design.

See post #49 above, he sold the truck.

I know - was just wonder if there was any followup from the case. I guess selling the truck closed the case??

• 3 weeks later...

Just some additional on the headlights. The 2016 Sierra and Silverado come with LED projector headlights and fog lights. New owners report they are great.

I was thinking of this headlight issue when I saw my friend's 2008 Lexus. Don't ask me which one, they all look the same to me. Anyway, his lights were extremely dim. I looked at them and found that they were halogen projectors like our 2014-15 trucks. I had thought all Lexus cars came with HID, but his must be a base model. His used a H11 bulb, which is even less powerful than our 9012 bulbs. They are really dim. More so than ours.

I'll tell ya, it drives me crazy that a guy in my neighborhood has a brand new Z71 Silverado loaded with LEDs....

Archived