Headlight Illumination Issues

2014 Sierra SLE w/ fog lights. I agree they way they are aimed is unsafe. I read all 164 (estimated) pages of all the complaints about these projector beam headlights so I decided to attempt to adjust mine. Starting out I could only see about 100 feet in front of me. I adjusted the top screw 2 full turns counterclockwise and discovered my lights were shining higher than the horizon. I was blinded by the reflection of a road sign. I was on a deserted road so nobody was blinded and nobody flashed high beams. I then lowered them down one full turn (Now 1 turn higher than stock). They are perfect. They shine out 400-500 feet, don't reflect off the signs any worse than any lights and still have awesome coverage of the road directly in front of the truck, even better with fogs on. I flipped on the high-beams and I can see in the future (not really) and still see the road in front of truck. Took it to the highway up and down hills and around curves and have excellent visibility and nobody flashed the high-beams at me. Quick and easy fix and it only cost about a dollar worth of gasoline on the night-time test drive.

What do you want or think the service manager will do? Buy you a set of HID's? I am guessing you had the HID's on the Raptor? I think some people just expect too much when coming from a previous vehicle with better or upgraded lights before. These lights aren't dangerous, it is just a word being thrown around to try and make something seem so much worse than it really is. More people on this site say they are fine or great than those that say they are not. Just like with anything, the vibration issue is a small overall percentage but some try to make it out like it is every truck.

This is why I like halogens, they are great, throw a wide long beam and are cheap.

Throw some HID bulbs in there if your eyes are that bad, problem solved.

Dangerous :rollin: Yeah I am sure they would have made it through the DOT and automotive approval process if they were...

Tyler

Tyler, I've called them dangerous from the first time I turned them on. Because they are. I have compared them to the 70-80's sealed beam headlights of years past, and I stand by that assessment. Except they are worse than even those because in stock trim, they don't light the side at all, and on high they point to the sky. Fact, not fiction.

I don't know the facts on DOT approval, however my guess is that they are worried more about too much light, and if a manufacturer wants to put candles on the front of their truck, ohh well., have fun.

I can say with confidence, that the first time I drove my 14 at night through the hills on the same road I've traveled thousands of times, I couldn't believe I had to slow down where I normally would never have, because I couldn't see anything but right in front of the truck, and very poorly lit at that. So I go to high-beam to try and see, nothing. HID bulbs have bandaided the lights so I can see now, but the aiming problems still exist.

GM really screwed up on these period. Waiting for the aftermarket or a new '15 or '16 change, or god willing, a great dealer that will help me fix these once and for all (he's trying).

And let me also say, that this '14 is a hands down amazing truck, I love it.

It is possible, that some of our trucks are different than the others, and hence a lot of complaints, but also others that don't seem to have a problem. Time will tell.

• Like 2

Especially if you are lifted/lowered, please adjust your headlights....

Also, lower the dash brightness when driving at night. So much better visibility when you don't have to see past the bright dash lights.

• Like 1

Didn't work for me. I tried before I went the HID bulb route. I even tried a different higher output bulb first, and they did little to nothing.

Didn't work for me. I tried before I went the HID bulb route. I even tried a different higher output bulb first, and they did little to nothing.

2014 Sierra SLE w/ fog lights. I agree they way they are aimed is unsafe. I read all 164 (estimated) pages of all the complaints about these projector beam headlights so I decided to attempt to adjust mine. Starting out I could only see about 100 feet in front of me. I adjusted the top screw 2 full turns counterclockwise and discovered my lights were shining higher than the horizon. I was blinded by the reflection of a road sign. I was on a deserted road so nobody was blinded and nobody flashed high beams. I then lowered them down one full turn (Now 1 turn higher than stock). They are perfect. They shine out 400-500 feet, don't reflect off the signs any worse than any lights and still have awesome coverage of the road directly in front of the truck, even better with fogs on. I flipped on the high-beams and I can see in the future (not really) and still see the road in front of truck. Took it to the highway up and down hills and around curves and have excellent visibility and nobody flashed the high-beams at me. Quick and easy fix and it only cost about a dollar worth of gasoline on the night-time test drive.

• Like 1

How do you adjust, where is the screw to lower? Mine shine high since adding the leveling kit.

open the hood and look down towards the headlight through a 1" or so hole in the cover. There is a phillips looking screw there. It is plastic so don't reef on it. clockwise lowers and counterclockwise raises.

If you are stock height then 1-1.25 up works really well. If you are leveled in the rear/front then down .75-1 is about right.

I went with the higher output HIR bulb and adjusted mine and they are fine. I just wish I would find a 4500-5000k HIR headlight bulb and fog light bulb for a more pure white color.

I haven't thought they were that bad. Most cars no come with hid or LEDs. Not sure why the Sierra didn't but I can see just fine with them. Although I have a set of hids ordered just bc I think they look much better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had an 2009 Silverado and a 2012...great lights. Now I have this 2014 Sierra AT Edition....terrible.

The other night my wife told me hey...turn the headlights on! Uh, honey...they are.

Yeah...they're that bad.

Agree 100%. I was driving in the rain, and I thought I mistakenly turned the lights off. Very disappointing My 2011 Silverado blew them away

Edited by LakeSpeed
  • Like 1