OEM or Safelite windshield?

If you have ANY safety features that have any sort of camera, or anything attached to the windshield (Lane Departure Warning), go OEM and OEM only. GM has been seeing problems arising with the aftermarket windshields.

Edited by 15HDriver

I have no problem with safelite windshields in my semi trucks. And they go thru a lot more than most folks will ever take their pickup thru. This is one area where OEM is not always the better value. I suppose it could be argued if one has OEM stuff that is reliant upon the windshield, then OEM is probably the best way to go. Makes me glad I didn't get any of that goofy lane departure or other stuff on my pickup or car.

Safelite glass is made to OEM dimensions, but that's pretty much all they claim. My experience with their glass is its way more wavy than OEM glass. I once had a piece installed on my Tundra that had a vertical wave right in driver vision. They fought with me, and finally replaced it. It was wavy just off the right. I replaced it with PPG glass, which was better, but not by much.

I took a rock to my Denali's windshield last year, and had OEM glass put in. Cost me $700 installed, but its wave free, and its worth it to me.

OEM is definitely 100% better. OEMs hold their glass to much higher specs than some aftermarket brand. Safelite and others only have to meet the minimum requirements for safety and visibility. OEMs are much more stringent. You'll never find a wave, blur, or haze in OEM glass (at least you shouldn't) but I've seen imperfections in every aftermarket glass I've ever gotten. For only $300 more I'd definitely get OEM. Usually the $$$ difference is much larger than that. If it was the rear or side glass I might go aftermarket, but the front windshield is very important and complex.

Can't speak to how well SafeLite windshields do in my personal vehicles, as I have never had to replace a pickup or car windshield, But I lay down over 130,000 miles a year in my semi truck and have used SafeLite windshields in the last 3 trucks and have no complaints. Winter, Summer, sunshine, down pours, snow, night time, daytime, all of it, and I have no problem wth seeing clearly out of them. I have never noticed any distortion of any kind.

Put you money where you feel more comfortable. If OEM is the only way that will help you sleep well at night, then go that route. Just know, that GM does not make it's own windshields. They are outsourced. I have hauled lots of glass to GM assembly plants, and none of those loads originated at a OEM facility. Just like SafeLite's glass is outsourced. Surprising as it seems, I have hauled some windshields from the Ford Glass plant in Broken Arrow, OK to GM plants and Mopar plants. That ought to cause some here to have their hair fall out that they might actually have a Ford made windshield in their Chevy pickup.

Edited by Cowpie

I work in a glass plant that makes glass for both oem and aftermarkets like safelite and confirm that oem is held to much tighter tolerance and defect rejection. We always comment on aftermarket runs that there aren't any defects. Before this job I was an owner operator for 30 some years and on the last truck i owned the replacement window had a divot rite in my line of site that didnt wipe. I really wish I could say I miss that job. Not really :thumbs:

• Like 1

Just know, that GM does not make it's own windshields. They are outsourced. I have hauled lots of glass to GM assembly plants, and none of those loads originated at a OEM facility. Just like SafeLite's glass is outsourced. Surprising as it seems, I have hauled some windshields from the Ford Glass plant in Broken Arrow, OK to GM plants and Mopar plants. That ought to cause some here to have their hair fall out that they might actually have a Ford made windshield in their Chevy pickup.

That's because Ford has some way to make those great big windshields distortion free. They were doing this back in 1991 for the Pontiac Transport vans...Gm was buying windshields for that one from Ford.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have gotten Carlite, PPG and Pilkington replacement glass before with no issue. Specify that you want tempered American made OE quality replacement no made in China glass.

Carlite is what Ford uses, PPG is what GM uses and I think they also might use some Pilkington as well.

Anything else is inferior by some standard.

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, jlAvitia97 said:

I worked doing  windshield replacement for about a year , I can the difference between the cheaper China glass ,aftermarket American made glass vs oem was the fit and finish 

Welcome to the site.

What manufacturers are considered OEM.

Had my windshield replaced in the last 6 months, asked for OEM glass, has all of the GM logos on it, but not same "brand" as on one that came out, or remaining glass.

2 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

What are the numbers for on all the glass?f520bc5df2a80825b672a32ce4c7b4a4.jpg4818643546650c18e13674e07cec4380.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Did they offer you some sort of "vehicle tracking" in finance when you when you were buying your trucks?

The numbers are acid etched into the glass, if you buy the plan, truck is stolen, thieves are not supposed to be able to get the etching off of the glass, police can then identify the truck

Did they offer you some sort of "vehicle tracking" in finance when you when you were buying your trucks?

The numbers are acid etched into the glass, if you buy the plan, truck is stolen, thieves are not supposed to be able to get the etching off of the glass, police can then identify the truck
You are correct. Now I remember that. Both my 18's have those.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have a mobile glass guy that does a bunch of dealerships in my area. I usually pay between 100-150 for a windshield installed. I have done 3 or 4 of them. All turned out great with no visible defects. I'm sure they are not oem windows, but for 150 I dont care. If they had wavy or distortion it would be a different story though.

I'm an automotive glass tech, there is little to no difference in OEM vs OEE Glass. Though I would ask safelite for the brand of the glass. There is OEE and Alternate branded glass. OEM in GM Trucks depending where the truck is assembled is Vitro & Fuyao, and both of these manufacturers are very good. If they were to tell you that they're putting in a XYG, or PGW China piece of glass I would recommend elsewhere.

TLDR, ask safelite to do a brand check and see if its Fuyao, or Vitro.

• Thanks 1