OEM or Safelite windshield?

So I have had a chip in my windshield in my view of driving since the first weekend of getting my truck 2 years ago. It was filled by Safelite shortly afterwords. I'm tired of seeing the chip, that's roughly the size of a nickel with the hairline cracks. So my question is, get OEM glass at $650 or Safelite glass at $350?

I do have Lane departure.

I think people's opinions will vary on this subject.

So I have had a chip in my windshield in my view of driving since the first weekend of getting my truck 2 years ago. It was filled by Safelite shortly afterwords. I'm tired of seeing the chip, that's roughly the size of a nickel with the hairline cracks. So my question is, get OEM glass at $650 or Safelite glass at $350?

I do have Lane departure.

I think people's opinions will vary on this subject.

way back when I worked at a dealership, our glass guy (mobile, owned his own shop) told us that there is a difference between oem and "budget" glass. when I replaced the windshield in my 08, I bit the bullet and went with oem. with the sensors and airbags, I liked the peace of mind knowing they should work as intended.

I have gotten Carlite, PPG and Pilkington replacement glass before with no issue. Specify that you want tempered American made OE quality replacement no made in China glass.

I got a Safelite windshield in a 2008 4Runner. Once. Never again. I paid labor but insisted they credit the cheap glass that distorted in the side view. Damn awful.

A local glass shop should be able to provide a quality glass product almost as inexpensivey with OEM quality optics.

I had safelight put in my daily driver beater and it was fine. That car was 15 years old. My truck would get oem at this point. Maybe in another 10 years something else might be acceptable to me.

• Like 1

I am on my third windshield in my truck. 2 have been Safelite. No issues. I also have lane departure. They ask you if you have this when you schedule the appointment.

Edited by Doobs41378

I've been told and read on line that OEM is the way to go. Safelite glass is "softer", if that makes any sense and pits and chips easier. My 02 is really hazy from all the miles and when I drive into the sun it is like there is a light haze on the windshield from all the sand pits. My wife even noticed. I considered getting Safelite which will cost me $110 installed. Have not checked on the OEM. I also have 5 chips in my windshield. Right now I have other bills to pay so I have been putting off getting a new windshield.

• Like 1

Ya get what ya pay for. Almost 100% of the time. There are some things that don't justify the sacrifice - visual acuity/safety is clearly one of those. The product is sub par IMHO. Good luck.

I had a safelight window put in my 2010 a few months ago. No issues whatsoever. Have taken a few hits to the window and no issues. For what I paid I am happy

Ryan B.

• Like 1