Creating LTZ Z71 to tow Max trailer weight

The trailer that I would be pulling is a 25ft with a maximum weight rating of 11,000 pounds..... if I am only pulling four or five times a year, is the consensus that a 2017 Silverado 1500 with the max trailering package isn't good for it?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? If Chevrolet states that It can tow 12,000 lb, why isn't it safe?

Its safe, I'd tow 15klbs with my truck no prob if I'm just trying to get some equipment to a jobtsite

Towing a 12k lb boat or camper a couple hundred miles, no thanks. Just too much instability and lack of braking.

if I had to even tow 5000lbs every single day, I'd probably go 2500

The trailer that I would be pulling is a 25ft with a maximum weight rating of 11,000 pounds..... if I am only pulling four or five times a year, is the consensus that a 2017 Silverado 1500 with the max trailering package isn't good for it?

Our camper is about #9000 loaded, it is 28'. I don't fill water tanks for NY to Fla trips as it would be an additional #3000 i don't want to carry.

The truck handles the weight extremely well. We have had 2500 trucks, and don't want another.

The Max tow package is great, but the trailer and hitch/brake needs to be set up properly to take it up to it's max capacity.

IMG 20170501 091537330 HDR[1]

I think the common sense approch is that generally you don't want to operate machinery at it's max for extended periods of time and expect it to last a long time without something failing.

My Max Tow is awesome. It really handles a trailer well, has gobs of power and stops better then any truck I've ever owned. That said if I have any idea I may keep a truck for many years there's no way I would jerk that much weight around. ( With a half ton)

But hey that's just me..I like to have things over built for my use and not right at the limit.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Our camper is about #9000 loaded, it is 28'. I don't fill water tanks for NY to Fla trips as it would be an additional #3000 i don't want to carry.

The truck handles the weight extremely well. We have had 2500 trucks, and don't want another.

The Max tow package is great, but the trailer and hitch/brake needs to be set up properly to take it up to it's max capacity.

I'm guessing your model holds 57 gallons of fresh water, which would be 475 lbs.

Reason for sale ? Curious as to why your selling thanks.

I'm buying a 2500. I'm over capacity when we tow. The tongue weight of the trailer plus a family of 5 exceeded the pay load capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why? If Chevrolet states that It can tow 12,000 lb, why isn't it safe?

It's certainly safe, it's just going to be hard on the truck to be running at the max all the time. At the very least throw some LT tires and helper springs on the 1500....

I'm guessing your model holds 57 gallons of fresh water, which would be 475 lbs.

lol, pre-coffee posting is never a good idea.

Actually about #400 for the fresh tank, which is ahead of the axles.

grey and black tanks are behind axles.

Can you give the trailer specs? As mentioned above, tongue weight is important. How much weight do you plan on putting in the truck? This info will help commenters.

Heck i pulled an 11k camper with my 14 max tow... tongue weight convinced me to upgrade to a 2500hd.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

What tongue weight R U dealing with? - Do U use an equalizer hitch even on a 2500?

The only way to get Max Trailer Package is with the LTZ 1500 SILVERADO. But the honeycomb Grill is horrible looking. Especially with all the Chrome.

I very much like the color matching of the Z71.... I know you cannot order an LTZ Z71 with the max trailering package. But has anyone ever modded or made the LTZ Z71 to pull a Max trailering?

The LTZ with the max trailering package can pull approximately 12,000 lb, what would you have to do to get the LTZ Z71 to pull approximately 12000 pounds. I would be getting the LTZ Z71 with the 6.2 engine and 8-speed transmission.

First comments I get are all about the bling baby........... :pimp:

post-168136-0-55866600-1500555560_thumb.jpg

Archived