IPhone 8 & wireless charging pad

I posted this same message on another thread about wireless charging, but seeing I started this thread, I figured I would update it to. Sooooo....

So after messing around with this forever, I think I finally have it working.  I have a 2017 Denali HD that came with the wireless charger that wouldn't work with my iPhone 8.  I ordered the wireless charger module for a 2018 Denali HD part number 13521066 from needgmparts.com.  It was 97.65 plus shipping. The new charger module has a different plug but uses the same 3 wires. I ordered the new plug from Mouser electronics part number 571-2035363-4 . It cost 71 cents.  I easily unpinned the old connector.  When installing the new connector, the pins on the wires had a little "nub" sticking out on one side that wouldn't allow me to slide it into the new connector.  I took a small pliers and just squeezed these "nubs" down so they were flush.  The pins then slid in easily and clicked in place securely. Plugged the new wireless module in and put the lid for the center console back together and it seems to be working the way it should now.  Little green lightning bolt shows up on the screen when phone is on the charge pad.  I can pick the phone up, set it back down and it starts charging again immediately.  It's not really that finicky about where it is on the pad.  Thanks to all the users on here for the information they provided regarding the parts, connectors, correct part numbers, etc: 

17 hours ago, rtreptow7 said:

I posted this same message on another thread about wireless charging, but seeing I started this thread, I figured I would update it to. Sooooo....

So after messing around with this forever, I think I finally have it working.  I have a 2017 Denali HD that came with the wireless charger that wouldn't work with my iPhone 8.  I ordered the wireless charger module for a 2018 Denali HD part number 13521066 from needgmparts.com.  It was 97.65 plus shipping. The new charger module has a different plug but uses the same 3 wires. I ordered the new plug from Mouser electronics part number 571-2035363-4 . It cost 71 cents.  I easily unpinned the old connector.  When installing the new connector, the pins on the wires had a little "nub" sticking out on one side that wouldn't allow me to slide it into the new connector.  I took a small pliers and just squeezed these "nubs" down so they were flush.  The pins then slid in easily and clicked in place securely. Plugged the new wireless module in and put the lid for the center console back together and it seems to be working the way it should now.  Little green lightning bolt shows up on the screen when phone is on the charge pad.  I can pick the phone up, set it back down and it starts charging again immediately.  It's not really that finicky about where it is on the pad.  Thanks to all the users on here for the information they provided regarding the parts, connectors, correct part numbers, etc: 

Thanks so much for posting this information--very helpful!  I do have a questions.  You mentioned that the new charger module uses the same 3 wires as the old one.  Are those 3 wires used in the same place and in the same order on the new module?

17 minutes ago, Steve6611 said:

Thanks so much for posting this information--very helpful!  I do have a questions.  You mentioned that the new charger module uses the same 3 wires as the old one.  Are those 3 wires used in the same place and in the same order on the new module?

I looked at the Upfitter for 16/17 and compared to 18.  Same color wires, same slot locations.  Same circuits.

• Like 1

Just now, Steve6611 said:

Thank you!

No problem.  I have been asked to make a retrofit inline harness so that 16/17 owners can simply plug and play into the new module.  I think I'll have everything needed to make this happen.

• Like 1

I just received my 2018 wireless charging module for my 2016 Chevy HD and verified that it DOES work. The plugs are different but with a little bit of coaxing, it does plug in and work flawlessly with my iPhone X. In the photo, the charger on the left (that didn’t work with any iPhone) is the factory 2016 charger and the right is for a 2018.

I used the vin number from a 2018 vehicle on their lot that I verified did work with my phone before I ordered the module for that vehicle. 

I did verify my charge percentage increase 1% over 5 minutes charging time.

I also verified it will remain charging even though the bottom of the phone is sitting about 1/8” above the charging pad because of my bulky Otter case. 

$114 at the dealer including tax.

CA5C3952-8C66-472A-862E-08F6E66D1677.jpeg

Edited by Drillrx

The process of removing the inner piece from the video isn't exactly right. The real problem is the tiny magnet in the center. In the two part video the guy fails to mention in the first part he left it in, in the second he removed it. I left the sticky other piece attached and ONLY removed the tiny silver magnet in the center and it works perfect with an iPhone X.  Attached some pics.

IMG_1720.jpeg

1 hour ago, travbz24 said:

This is what the magnet looks like. Be careful prying it out to not damage the coils. 

IMG_1723.jpeg

This is what threw me off too and after watching it several i noticed the magnet missing in his.  I took my magnet and now it "kinda" work...like it only charges when I turn the truck off and start it back with the phone sitting there.  I guess I'll go back and remove the magnet but put the flex board piece back in and see what happens.

Thanks!

Anyone wanna open their 2018 module and compare the internals?? :)

6 hours ago, Loco-diablo said:

The bummer is, all this work and you still need a cable for CarPlay.

So my phone is always plugged in .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer not to connect via CarPlay so this works for me.  On the rare occasion I’m playing some media off of my phone in the truck I just do it through Bluetooth. 

Pgamboa, if I read your last post correctly, will you be making an adapter harness so a 2016 truck can plug in a 2018 GMC module? If this is correct I would like to get one from you! Just let me know what you would need from me... Thanks in advance...Steve

Ditto - this is my first post here but I have been following this since I have a stock Sierra 16 SLT and an iPhoneX on the way.  GM's the one who should be addressing this as best as I can tell.  But that would be like pi**ing into the wind and I'd end up wet.  I have used an iPhone 6 with a Bezalel case as well as a Galaxie 8S with no issues.  It's a feature I value and I don't use Car Play so that's no issue for me.  I do play music and only use BT for that.  Carry on my brothers.  Good stuff.

Edited by MRL_Sierra16

On 12/1/2017 at 11:56 AM, Drillrx said:

I just received my 2018 wireless charging module for my 2016 Chevy HD and verified that it DOES work. The plugs are different but with a little bit of coaxing, it does plug in and work flawlessly with my iPhone X. In the photo, the charger on the left (that didn’t work with any iPhone) is the factory 2016 charger and the right is for a 2018.

I used the vin number from a 2018 vehicle on their lot that I verified did work with my phone before I ordered the module for that vehicle. 

I did verify my charge percentage increase 1% over 5 minutes charging time.

I also verified it will remain charging even though the bottom of the phone is sitting about 1/8” above the charging pad because of my bulky Otter case. 

$114 at the dealer including tax.

CA5C3952-8C66-472A-862E-08F6E66D1677.jpeg

What got me interest in this is my 2016 doesn’t work on my IPhone X. We also own a Tesla Model S & X. People on TMC have been installing single coil versions the link I’m posting below (space restrictions in Tesla that we don’t have on our GMCs) 

https://m.ebay.com/itm/3-Coils-10W-Qi-Fast-Wireless-Charger-PCBA-Circuit-Board-Coil-Micro-USB-5V-2A-/232542717606

Why spend any money on GM parts when this will likely work just fine and delivers fast charging. Just need to convert a 12v source to 5v. The 3 pin connector what’s the voltage on that? I am sure we’ve got +,-, and signal wire. I don’t particularly need to see the charging on the screen. The phone will show that.

At GMs 1% for 5 minutes it would take 8.5 hours to charge to 100% from 0

Edited by DHG.