275/65r20 or 305/55r20

I didn't really notice any kind of chainsaw sounds from the ridge grapplers, but then again I had a set of mud grapplers first and they no joke sounded like an old world war 2 bomber plane. Genuinely louder than a set of 37 inch bloggers I had on a mud truck. So I guess by comparison I just never really noticed it. Also all my trucks always have some sort of aftermarket exhaust so normally the burble overshadows tire hum. Except for the mud grapplers. I'm telling you, out in the country, people were telling me they could hear my tires from over my exhaust from over a mile away and I was running a set of true dual flowmasters on that truck.

• Like 1

So, I can speak from experience on this one and will try to put as much detail as I can:

Had a 2014 Silverado LT Z71 1500 Crew Cab, nice truck no issues.  Swapped the dealer 18's for XD Wheels 20''.  Put 305 55 20 LT Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires on the wheels.  They added 59 pounds each to the vehicle and the suspension was stiff, but still after leveling the front end up 2'' there were no issues.

Now, this is where you need to understand.

Traded the 14 in just recently and got a 2018 Silverado LTZ Z71 Crew Cab Redline Edition.  Very nice truck with more upgrades.  Same suspension though as the shocks, leaf spring and ride is the same for Z71's.  Truck came with 20'' Redline edition wheels, so I kept them, but the truck came with Goodyear SRA junk tires.  Sold those as take offs.  Here is the kicker, had the opportunity to put the 305 55 20 tires from the 14 on the 18,  but I elected to keep the stock size 275 65 20 and put on Cooper Discoverer AT3. Best damn decision that I made. Not only is the ride like a Cadillac compared to the 14, but I can definitely tell a difference... (Don't use LT tires if you don't have to)  And if that doesn't sell you, just drove 4 hours to Williamsburg, Virginia, beautiful drive by the way minus DC traffic, but the ride was smooth and did not feel as though you were running into a curb when you hit a pot hole.  Also with the 275 65 20, as they were the stock size, I didn't have to spend $400.00 to level the front end. 

Hope this helps in your decisions.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2017 at 5:50 PM, JVERMETTE said:

So, I can speak from experience on this one and will try to put as much detail as I can:

Had a 2014 Silverado LT Z71 1500 Crew Cab, nice truck no issues.  Swapped the dealer 18's for XD Wheels 20''.  Put 305 55 20 LT Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires on the wheels.  They added 59 pounds each to the vehicle and the suspension was stiff, but still after leveling the front end up 2'' there were no issues.

Now, this is where you need to understand.

Traded the 14 in just recently and got a 2018 Silverado LTZ Z71 Crew Cab Redline Edition.  Very nice truck with more upgrades.  Same suspension though as the shocks, leaf spring and ride is the same for Z71's.  Truck came with 20'' Redline edition wheels, so I kept them, but the truck came with Goodyear SRA junk tires.  Sold those as take offs.  Here is the kicker, had the opportunity to put the 305 55 20 tires from the 14 on the 18,  but I elected to keep the stock size 275 65 20 and put on Cooper Discoverer AT3. Best damn decision that I made. Not only is the ride like a Cadillac compared to the 14, but I can definitely tell a difference... (Don't use LT tires if you don't have to)  And if that doesn't sell you, just drove 4 hours to Williamsburg, Virginia, beautiful drive by the way minus DC traffic, but the ride was smooth and did not feel as though you were running into a curb when you hit a pot hole.  Also with the 275 65 20, as they were the stock size, I didn't have to spend $400.00 to level the front end. 

Hope this helps in your decisions.

I assume you mean 275/55R20 not 275/65R20?  

The stock 20" tires are 275/55R20, which would be 31.9" diameter.  The ones you list would be 34.2" and I don't think those would fit without a level or a lift?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:52 PM, Clayton6499 said:

I didn't really notice any kind of chainsaw sounds from the ridge grapplers, but then again I had a set of mud grapplers first and they no joke sounded like an old world war 2 bomber plane. Genuinely louder than a set of 37 inch bloggers I had on a mud truck. So I guess by comparison I just never really noticed it. Also all my trucks always have some sort of aftermarket exhaust so normally the burble overshadows tire hum. Except for the mud grapplers. I'm telling you, out in the country, people were telling me they could hear my tires from over my exhaust from over a mile away and I was running a set of true dual flowmasters on that truck.

Clayton, same problem for me. I had an old 06 Chevy and in the past had run KOs with zero problems and with very little road noise. I ended up running the Cooper M/T for 2 sets and it got to the point when my wife and I would go out to eat or my uncle would ride with me to the hunting club, we had to almost yell at each other. I just bought a 2018 GMC and I have absolutely no desire for that anymore. I want to level mine out but I don’t want to go with anything more aggressive than a BFG or Toyo AT2.

Like the other poster, I don’t ride off road that much – just for the last couple miles to our camp. The problem is, if any of you are familiar with North Alabama and what happens to the mud when it gets wet, you’ll know you need a more aggressive tire. It turns to clay and will cake up on your tires sometimes a couple inches thick. I had started leaning toward the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ but like I said, I don’t want a loud road noise as the tire wears.

On 11/24/2017 at 9:17 AM, AGMthing said:

I originally had 285 tires and they were perfect with lining up with the fendersd2dc49d8a854d4a0a2a1c17fa5c99320.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

those a 285/55r20 or 285/65r20?  I'm assuming on some sort of level, yes?

• 1 year later...