Gorehamj

2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 is Four Wheeler Pickup Truck of the Year

zr2 gm image fast on desert.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

1-11-2018

Four Wheeler Magazine has chosen the 2018 Chevrolet Colorado as its pick for Four Wheeler Pickup Truck of the Year. The Colorado certainly deserves the win, but given the publication’s rules, it seems like it was snuck in. The group says its picks for Four Wheel truck of the year “…was determined by a weeklong, invitation-only competition open to all-new or significantly revised pickup trucks for the upcoming model year.” The Colorado ZR2 is was introduced in 2017 as a 2017 model year truck and is not scheduled to receive any major (or minor) changes in 2018. Hmm. We reached out to Four Wheeler Editor, Sean Holman, who was glad to help explain. Sean tells us that the 2017 Colorado missed the cutoff for the last POTY award due to its late introduction and therefore eligible. Automakers' crazy model and calendar year combos are the reason. Last year, the Raptor won.  

Four Wheeler Editor Ken Brubaker commented on the ZR2’s win, saying, “The ZR2 takes the capable Colorado platform to a new level with a dizzying array of modifications including front and rear electric differential lockers, Multimatic Dynamic Suspensions Spool Valve shocks, a 2-inch-taller ride height, 3.5-inch-wider track width, additional skidplating, 31-inch tires, and many more off-road-centric goodies. The result is a truck that is willing and able to conquer terrain that would leave most other trucks behind.”

The ZR2 was pitted against just two other trucks for the title this year, the Ram 1500 Harvest Edition, Ram 3500 Cummins turbodiesel. Read the full story at Four Wheeler. 

Seems like an interesting group of trucks to compare and test...

9 minutes ago, pickmeup said:

What ?......Poor Tacoma lost.  lol

Wasn't even in the contest.

they could of tested this truck at least in trucks in its class. 

Nothing in the Colorado platform can compete with the Tacoma.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By qwank
      So My current 2001 4 door Blazer plow truck/daily driver needs a ton of work.  It has over 243K on the clock, very low oil pressure, a leaky heater core, cracked windshield, and multiple emissions problems that I've been leaving unfixed because I don't care (EGR, Air pump, etc.). Oh, and lots and lots of rust. Did I mention it's a 4 door, I hate 4 doors.  

Anyways,  I saw a 1999 Two door ZR2 show up on Facebook Marketplace with 134K and an engine knock for $580 bucks with brand new tires so I immediately message the seller and went to look at it.  I talked him down to $500 and towed it back to my shop.  Oh, and it even had a full tank of gas. (bonus!)  

Sounds like a bad rod knock.  Will most likely need a crankshaft, rod and rebuild, but I might be able to find a cheap used engine.  

I already located the correct pushplates locally to mount the fisher plow, So I'll pick those up sometime this week (they are different plates than the standard Blazer takes). 

Tomorrow after work I will pull the oil pan and see what actually failed.  

So here's a pic of the truck:

and here's a picture of my current 2001 Blazer that is going to be retired (junk yard) after I keep it for a few months to rob any parts that I may need for the new one.  And my beat Fisher Plow:

• By fondupot
      Hey guys, so I did a review and install video for Clearview Mirrors USA. They were awesome and sent me out a set of mirrors for my truck. I did a full unboxing, review, and installation of the mirrors.

They really are top notch. Be it pricey, but if you are doing any sort of towing with your Colorado or Canyon, these mirrors will definitely make your life easier. The mirrors are super well made, very sturdy. I am very pleased with them.

All the info you need is in the video. Leave a comment and a thumbs up. Definitely go visit the www.ClearviewMirrorsUSA.com website and check out the product page.

• By DanG
      I have an io3 in a 2016 Colorado.  It either starts up well in the morning or repeatedly reboots.  Rebooting has lasted up to 2 days before.  It has been reprogrammed and more recently the control panel replaced.  Rebooting is down to about 2 days a week and can last up to 15 minutes.  It can end on the radio screen, the home screen or the clock only.  It can reset nothing, reset the clock, and/ or reset the station presets.  Lately, it's just reset the clock.  Any help is appreciated.  Dealer is currently waiting for an answer from GM.  What could be wrong?  
    • By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      6-19-2018
      GM is recalling a list of vehicles because a fuel line can detach from the fuel pump and thus present the chance for a fire. The full text of the NHTSA report is listed below. If you want to look up your own vehicle to see if yours is on that recall list you can do so here.  Or you can hope that the snail mail system works and brings you a notice. If this recall sounds familiar don't be surprised. GM has had a long history of recalling vehicles for fuel pump and fuel line failures.

• By Zane

Zane Merva
      Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com
      6/4/2018

The 2019 model year is just around the bend. Within the next six weeks, General Motors will start to manufacture and (shortly thereafter) sell yet another brand new model year's worth of automobiles. We already know the Silverado is going to be all new but it isn't the only Chevrolet that's getting new and notable features. This week we'll be taking a look at all of the new features you can expect to see on dealership lots later this year. From small changes in colors, new infotainment systems, and new options, each Chevrolet, GMC, Buick, & Cadillac has something new up its sleeve for the next production year. 

Check out our other "What's New For 2019 Articles"

Right now, we take a look at what's new, changed and modified in the 2019 Chevrolet Colorado. 

2018 Options That Have Been Retired
           (SUM) Centennial Edition      (PDB) Shoreline Special Edition- LT Cloth Package      (PDC) Shoreline Special Edition- Luxury Package      (G35) Centennial Blue Metallic      (GEW) Wheatland Yellow (still available as SEO color)      (GMW) Deepwood Green Metallic      (GPA) Graphite Metallic      (PZX) 18" Dark Argent metallic cast aluminum wheels      (IOB) 7" diagonal Color Touch Screen with Chevrolet MyLink      (IO5) 8" diagonal Color Touch Screen with Chevrolet MyLink      (IO6) 8" diagonal Color Touch Screen Navigation with Chevrolet MyLink      (USR) USB port, located on instrument panel      (MCY) USB port, located inside center console      (MCZ) 2, USB, located on the rear of the center console  
      New Features, Colors & Options for 2019
           (G16) Crush      (GJI) Shadow Gray Metallic      (G6O) Pacific Blue Metallic      (IOR) Chevrolet Infotainment System with 7" diagonal color touch-screen      (IOS) Chevrolet Infotainment System with 8" diagonal color touch-screen      (IOT) Chevrolet Infotainment System with Navigation and 8" diagonal color touch-screen      (MCR) USB data ports, 2, one type-A and one type-C, includes SD Card Reader, auxiliary input jack      (USS) USB charging-only ports, 2, located on the rear of the center console      (UST) USB data ports, 2, one type-A and one type-C      2nd microphone for passenger      (UVB) HD Rear Vision Camera      (AG1) 6-way power driver seat      (UVD) Heated steering wheel (standard on Z71 and ZR2 models)      (UD7) Rear Park Assist      (RCV) 18" Dark Argent metallic cast aluminum wheel  
      Small Changes In Trim & Packaging for 2019
           (UVC) Rear Vision Camera no longer available on uplevel trims (replaced with UVB HD Rear Vision Camera)      (AH6) 4-way power driver seat adjuster replaced with (AG1) 6-way power drive seat adjuster on uplevel trims      (PCW) Safety Package now includes (UD7) Rear Park Assist      (PCK) Luxury Package now includes (UVD) heated steering wheel      ZR2 models now feature Black bowties