Discovered! Features you may not have known about...

If you hold down the trailer setting on the shifter (button on the end of column shifter to put truck in trailer mode, which keeps the truck in a lower gear for longer time) you can turn grade braking off. Not sure why you would want to do this but it is a feature. Grade braking i think is when you are going down a grade and the truck will downshift to help slow the truck down. correct me if im wrong but itll come on every once in a while if i am coming in hot or pulling a trailer 

Yep, it drops a gear to “compression brake” you can turn it off, but if you live in a hilly area having the truck default to “grade braking” is a smart feature. It kicks in on my driveway almost daily.

On 1/25/2019 at 11:15 AM, SS502 said:

This is an old thread but one that applies...I had never heard of this feature called "Afterblow" but it's on our trucks but turned off by default, can only be turned on by the dealer...I think this will be especially good for high humidity areas:

Here is the process for the fix for odors from the AC unit. This tag was written in May of 2015, so t may apply to later years as well.

Models: 2014 and prior GM passenger cars and trucks

Some customers may comment about musty odors emitted from the HVAC system at startup in hot, humid conditions.

Cause

This condition may be caused by condensate buildup on the evaporator core, which doesn’t evaporate by itself in high humidity conditions. The odor may be the result of microbial growth on the evaporator core. When the blower motor fan is turned on, the microbial growth may release an unpleasant musty odor into the passenger compartment.

There are several other possible sources of a musty odor in a vehicle. A common source is a water leak into the interior of the vehicle or foreign material in the HVAC air distribution system. Follow the procedures in the service information (SI) for identifying and correcting water leaks and air inlet inspection.

This procedure is only applicable if the odor source has been determined to be microbial growth on the evaporator core inside the HVAC module.

Correction

Many vehicles currently incorporate an afterblow function within the HVAC control module software. The afterblow feature, when enabled, employs the HVAC blower fan to dry the evaporator after vehicle shutdown, and this function will inhibit microbial growth. Technicians are to confirm that the customer concern is evaporator core odor and that the vehicle has the imbedded afterblow feature, as defined in the SI document for that specific vehicle model, model year and specific HVAC option. Refer to SI for enabling the afterblow function. Vehicles in areas prone to high humidity conditions may benefit from having the afterblow-enabled calibration installed prior to any customer comment.

To immediately remove the evaporator core odor on all suspect vehicles, it is necessary to eliminate the microbial growth and prevent its reoccurrence. To accomplish this, perform the following procedure:

1. The evaporator core must be dry. This may be accomplished by disabling the compressor and running the blower fan on the recirc heat setting for an extended period of time.

Note: Compressor engagement will cause the evaporator core to remain wet and will prevent full adherence of the cooling coil coating to the evaporator core surfaces.

2. Verify that the air conditioning drain hose is not clogged and place a drain pan beneath the vehicle.

3. Place a protective cover over the carpet below the evaporator core.

4. Remove the cabin air filter, if equipped, and cover the opening prior to applying a cooling coil coating, as the product may clog the filter. If the cabin air filter appears to have little or no remaining life, suggest a replacement to your customer.

5. If the HVAC module has a blower motor cooling tube, be careful not to spray the cooling coil coating into the blower motor cooling tube.

6. Attach a flexible applicator pressure spray tool to a compressed air line operating at 85 psi to 115 psi.

7. Shake the bottle of cooling coil coating well. Screw the bottle onto the cap on the applicator tool’s pick-up tube.

8. To apply the coating, follow these steps:

• Go through either the blower motor control module opening or the blower motor opening.
• Remove the blower motor control module (blower motor resistor). Refer to the applicable procedure in SI.
• Clean any debris or foreign material from inside the HVAC module and on the evaporator core surface.
• Apply the cooling coil coating directly to the evaporator core through the blower motor control module (blower motor resistor) opening.
• Use the flexible wand to direct the cooling coil coating over the entire evaporator core and surrounding gasket surfaces.
• When the application is complete, install the blower motor control module (blower motor resistor).
Note: If neither of the blower motor control module opening or the blower motor opening are available, it may be necessary to drill a hole in the HVAC module:
• Locate an area of the HVAC module between the blower motor and the evaporator core. Drill a 10 mm (3/8 in) hole in the HVAC module. Use caution to keep the drill clear of the evaporator core and the blower motor fan.
• With the air distribution vents closed and the blower motor fan speed on high, insert the applicator tool into the hole and spray the cooling coil coating into the airstream toward the evaporator core.
• Use RTV sealant to plug the hole in the HVAC module.

9. After the coating application is complete, start and run the vehicle for approximately 10 minutes, with the compressor disabled, HVAC mode set to recirculate/max, heat set to full warm, blower motor fan speed on high, and one window open approximately 12 mm (1/2 in). This cures the coating onto the evaporator core surface.

10. Shut off the engine and enable the compressor again.

11. Verify proper HVAC system operation.

12. Remove the protective cover from inside the vehicle.

13. Remove the drain pan from underneath the vehicle.

14. Reinstall the cabin air filter if necessary.

Edited by Darksky
  • Like 2

On 3/1/2019 at 6:56 AM, Sierra Dan said:

Can anything be added to the "Blank Page" ???

To knowledge, no.  I have that feature turned off, I don't like having a blank screen on the DIC, while driving. 

If I have the NAV on the main display, I'll have the radio information on the DIC, or vice-verse.  But, for the most part, I have "TRIP A" on the DIC, reset it with each fill up.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know.....

On my 03 Silverado, if I lock the truck with the keyfob, and a door is still open, I will hear a chime, but doesn't lock until about 7 seconds after all doors are shut.  Works with the lock button on the door too.  On my 18 Sierra, it only works on the door switch.  If I lock with the remote, it is immediate, regardless if a door is open or all closed.

Anyway to set the Sierra to be like the Silverado in that there is a delay from the keyfob as well?

On 1/26/2019 at 3:42 PM, chuckworkb said:

Doesn't work on my 2015 Z71 either.  Damn, I was looking forward to that. 

I think I saw it in the settings of my ‘15. Mine is a LTZ Z-71

Don't remember reading it anywhere in this thread, but Friday night the stupid tire pump at the Edwards AFB gas station deflated on of my tires to 50%.  I drove it home, very cautiously, and filled it up with the punny little Wal-Mart special of a tire pump, that we have at home.  While I was filling it up, on Saturday morning, every time that the TPMS screen would update (usually by 1 PSI), the blinker on the mirror, on that side, would flash 25 times, until the pressure was within 5 PSI. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ravenkeeper said:

Don't remember reading it anywhere in this thread, but Friday night the stupid tire pump at the Edwards AFB gas station deflated on of my tires to 50%.  I drove it home, very cautiously, and filled it up with the punny little Wal-Mart special of a tire pump, that we have at home.  While I was filling it up, on Saturday morning, every time that the TPMS screen would update (usually by 1 PSI), the blinker on the mirror, on that side, would flash 25 times, until the pressure was within 5 PSI. 

Very nice! Thank you for your SERVICE :thumbs:

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Ravenkeeper said:

Edwards is not as bad as a lot of people say but still...unless you’ve been there ya just don’t know! I remember in 1984, had just bought a brand new (gutless) Z-28 and got caught in a sand storm :( ended up having the front clip repainted and a new windshield...all I could do was pull over and shut it down before it ingested sand. Still loved it there though, if you don’t have one get ya a dirt bike or some other toy :thumbs:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SS502 said:

Edwards is not as bad as a lot of people say but still...unless you’ve been there ya just don’t know! I remember in 1984, had just bought a brand new (gutless) Z-28 and got caught in a sand storm :( ended up having the front clip repainted and a new windshield...all I could do was pull over and shut it down before it ingested sand. Still loved it there though, if you don’t have one get ya a dirt bike or some other toy :thumbs:

This is my toy, until my son finds an older 4x4 that he wants.  Been here twice now, 96-99 & 04-present.  Sand Storms?  We've actually had rock storms, totaled a couple friends' of mine vehicles, they were old and the repairs were more than the vehicles were worth. 

6 minutes ago, Ravenkeeper said:

This is my toy, until my son finds an older 4x4 that he wants.  Been here twice now, 96-99 & 04-present.  Sand Storms?  We've actually had rock storms, totaled a couple friends' of mine vehicles, they were old and the repairs were more than the vehicles were worth. 

Well maybe that sand grew into rocks since 84? Either way it’s brutal. Still, I’d go back...for a visit lol

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 6:04 AM, ram1067 said:

love this option! Siri reads incoming texts also, which use to give the option to reply but no longer asks! Anyone else experience this?

Not sure what happened..... 

If you have Hey siri activated and you don't have the radio blaring, you don't even have to hold down the button, just say hey siri - also you can have her play music and it automatically switches to media

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2019 at 4:35 AM, CamperD said:

If you have Hey siri activated and you don't have the radio blaring, you don't even have to hold down the button, just say hey siri - also you can have her play music and it automatically switches to media

There's a setting for MAX start up volume. 

I was going to write up a couple things I have discovered (on my truck) in the last couple days, that I didn't see listed in this thread, but forgot what they were.  :( 

Something that I remember from doing the Cargo ON with Reverse Lights mod, when you put it in Reverse, the cargo light switch lights up.  Something that I found on the 2500 Silverado, at work, is that the cargo light switch works in Reverse, without the mod.  Can't confirm this on mine, since I have the mod done. 

8 minutes ago, Ravenkeeper said:

Something that I remember from doing the Cargo ON with Reverse Lights mod, when you put it in Reverse, the cargo light switch lights up.  Something that I found on the 2500 Silverado, at work, is that the cargo light switch works in Reverse, without the mod.  Can't confirm this on mine, since I have the mod done. 

This is the way my 015 1/2 ton works if I leave the cargo light “on” it lights up (dash switch and cargo light) when placed in reverse then goes out when shifted out of reverse. Will also come back “on” when shifted into park.

• Like 1