Discovered! Features you may not have known about...

11 hours ago, slide187 said:

No it’s just from turning on the fogs only. Same for 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I was trying to say, when I turn on the fogs the other lights come on except for the headlights, as if I turned on the parking lights, but I didn't.

• Like 2

That's what I was trying to say, when I turn on the fogs the other lights come on except for the headlights, as if I turned on the parking lights, but I didn't.

Yessir. Agreed. I was clarifying for the gentleman’s post in between ours that the trigger is the fogs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2018 at 1:18 PM, Homeslice said:

Welp, yesterday I opened the passenger side door to work on something while talking to a friend and hung out for a minute before deciding to remote start my truck. Hit the lock button and then remote started it.  Reached across and put my keys in the ignition. Stood chatting for a moment and when I went to walk around my truck to get in, I closed the passenger door. An hour of idling and waiting later, AAA to the rescue. 

There IS a remedy for this, actually. I have two keys and the only time both keys are inside the truck, is when I'm inside the truck. I try to always keep a key in one of my pocketses.

• 4 weeks later...

New to this forum, thanks everyone for your input.  Here’s one I experienced last fall after crossing the US/Canada border in my ‘17 Sierra SLT - switching the speedometer from MPH (US) to KM/H (metric) also changes ALL other displays to metric.  Cabin temp, transmission temp, and outside temp displays all go from degrees F to C, tire pressure and oil pressure go from PSI to KPa, fuel economy goes from MPG to L/km, etc.  I ended up toggling back and forth often to stay within speed limits and still have an idea of fuel economy.  I was pulling a travel trailer and L/km didn’t help me much.  Thankfully, it’s pretty easy to swap between modes.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I read all 29 pages of this thread...  here's what I would like to know:

Several people in here have mentioned how to turn Grade Assist Braking OFF.  I want to know how to turn it ON in my 2016 Z71

I drive in rush hour traffic down a significant hill daily.  I'd love for this feature to be able to be activated the same way I count with the low speed hill climb...   But sadly I don't see a way to do this.  I'd love to be able to be rolling at 20-35 mph down a grade in traffic and set the grade assist to that speed going down the 1.5 mile hill instead if constantly hitting my brakes.  Shifting into manual helps some, but by no means does it do what the grade assist.. but ONLY on hot days (I think brake temp factors into the equation).  I wish someone had a sequence to activate it on my commute daily!

Have a good day all.

Stay safe.

-Tom D

So there’s grade braking which as far as I know will only activate at a certain grade and a certain speed (I don’t know what either of those are tho but I have seen it turn on driving in on one particular off ramp near me. I can take note of the grade and my speed next time I see it and let you know. It doesn’t happen all the time tho.

The other is hill descent control which the all terrains (and I’m not sure what other models) have. That can only turn on below 15 or 20 mph and I think is not what you’re looking for. But that is condition and button activated.

• Like 1

Several people in here have mentioned how to turn Grade Assist Braking OFF.  I want to know how to turn it ON in my 2016 Z71

I drive in rush hour traffic down a significant hill daily.  I'd love for this feature to be able to be activated the same way I count with the low speed hill climb...   But sadly I don't see a way to do this.  I'd love to be able to be rolling at 20-35 mph down a grade in traffic and set the grade assist to that speed going down the 1.5 mile hill instead if constantly hitting my brakes.  Shifting into manual helps some, but by no means does it do what the grade assist.. but ONLY on hot days (I think brake temp factors into the equation).  I wish someone had a sequence to activate it on my commute daily!

Have a good day all.
Stay safe.
-Tom D

From just driving experience & in no way backed up by technical knowledge I believe the grade braking only functions above a certain speed & likely measures time with brakes applied vs speed reduction (or lack thereof).
All it does is change down gears as far as I can tell so you are as well to stick with your manual shifting.

Sent using Tapatalk - 2014 5.3 WT

8 hours ago, Tdragone said:

Have a good day all.

Stay safe.

-Tom D

TFL Truck on you tube test grade braking and I believe GM had the worst scores , if you put it in tow mode its active ,But I may be wrong , I only had hill decent pop on at low speeds 

Here’s the thing. It only activates for me in San Diego when it’s > 85* outside, and as I’m going down the grade I’m lightly dragging the brakes. The DIC Chime’s and says grade braking activated. At this time, it maintains my current speed with no throttle input. If I hit the brake, it disengages. If I throttle up, i speed up, if I let off it will hold the speed at which it activated. It’s a totally different experience than putting it in M3 and using the throttle to maintain speed. I wish I could get to my target speed then select cruise control, and then do something like hold down the hill descent braking lever in my truck to force it to activate the grade assist feature at the speed. 

On 3/22/2020 at 7:20 PM, Tdragone said:

Have a good day all.

Stay safe.

-Tom D

I could be wrong but I thought putting it in tow/ haul mode activated grade braking. 

2 hours ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

I could be wrong but I thought putting it in tow/ haul mode activated grade braking. 

Grade braking is active by default. You hold in the tow haul button for like 5 seconds to toggle it on/off. It is then reset to on with every key cycle. The owners manual is great for things like this you know....

• Like 1