2015 6.2L Sierra with Black Widow Venom 250 Exhaust

Hey guys, finally put an exhaust on the truck! Shout out to @Gorske as he's the one who turned me onto this exhaust (without trying lol) and the Corsa tip. Let's get to it!

Muffler shop removed muffler, flapper, and resonator. I kept the 3rd cat in place.  They installed the Venom 250 (center / offset) 3" version which I ordered directly from the Black Widow website.  They used 3" piping to fill in all the gaps.

I'm very, very happy with the sound so far.  The only thing I can compare it to is the Flowmaster 40 series which I had on my Avalanche.  I know that sound is subjective, so take this with a grain of salt I guess, but, the Venom 250 sounds sooo much cleaner than the Flowmaster did.  I'm not really sure how else to describe it, just a really great clear rumble.  The flowmaster always seemed to have like a resonance sound.  I've only driven about 4 miles on the highway so far during rush hour, traffic was moving 65 - 70mph but was really heavy.  I was so surprised to hear little to no drone.  I purposely shifted it to 7th and even 6th as I was like the drone is gotta be somewhere! But nope - as the RPMs got higher in 7th and 6th, all you hear is literally the exhaust sound, not a mind numbing drone. I'm going to do a little highway this weekend Saturday or Sunday morning just so I can really get a feel for it without traffic around.

The AFM v4 mode is not disabled on my truck and I don't have any intentions to get the Range device or tune it out anytime soon. I likely will get my truck tuned once the warranty is out, and at that time I'll most likely have the AFM disabled.  It does have quite the helicopter sound especially as you load up the engine in v4 mode.  Interestingly, it's really only bad at slow speeds, say 20-45mph.  When I was on the highway I noticed it dropped into v4 mode a couple times at 65mph, I don't recall noticing any helicopter sound, I think the higher RPMs must help.  The  8 speed is literally lugging the engine as low as 1000rpm in different gears between 20 - 40 mph, so that has to be the main reason it's so bad in the speed range.  I've just been driving in M7 through the suburbs most of the time, depends if I feel like hearing the noise or not.

Ok, here is a quick video I took.  Sound got a little distorted unfortunately.  I plan on making a far more thorough video with many points of view, however it'll probably be up to a month before I make it. I'm going to shoot it up north where I don't have to worry about seeing traffic.  I'll make sure to that video on this forum as well. 

Let's see if I can get this right.. I don't know how to embed 

https://youtu.be/p7GfTd6LFwM

Edited by SkiDooNick700

• SkiDooNick700 changed the title to 2015 6.2L Sierra with Black Widow Venom 250 Exhaust
19 minutes ago, SkiDooNick700 said:

Hey guys, finally put an exhaust on the truck! Shout out to @Gorske as he's the one who turned me onto this exhaust (without trying lol) and the Corsa tip. Let's get to it!

Muffler shop removed muffler, flapper, and resonator. I kept the 3rd cat in place.  They installed the Venom 250 (center / offset) 3" version which I ordered directly from the Black Widow website.  They used 3" piping to fill in all the gaps.

I'm very, very happy with the sound so far.  The only thing I can compare it to is the Flowmaster 40 series which I had on my Avalanche.  I know that sound is subjective, so take this with a grain of salt I guess, but, the Venom 250 sounds sooo much cleaner than the Flowmaster did.  I'm not really sure how else to describe it, just a really great clear rumble.  The flowmaster always seemed to have like a resonance sound.  I've only driven about 4 miles on the highway so far during rush hour, traffic was moving 65 - 70mph but was really heavy.  I was so surprised to hear little to no drone.  I purposely shifted it to 7th and even 6th as I was like the drone is gotta be somewhere! But nope - as the RPMs got higher in 7th and 6th, all you hear is literally the exhaust sound, not a mind numbing drone. I'm going to do a little highway this weekend Saturday or Sunday morning just so I can really get a feel for it without traffic around.

The AFM v4 mode is not disabled on my truck and I don't have any intentions to get the Range device or tune it out anytime soon. I likely will get my truck tuned once the warranty is out, and at that time I'll most likely have the AFM disabled.  It does have quite the helicopter sound especially as you load up the engine in v4 mode.  Interestingly, it's really only bad at slow speeds, say 20-45mph.  When I was on the highway I noticed it dropped into v4 mode a couple times at 65mph, I don't recall noticing any helicopter sound, I think the higher RPMs must help.  The  8 speed is literally lugging the engine as low as 1000rpm in different gears between 20 - 40 mph, so that has to be the main reason it's so bad in the speed range.  I've just been driving in M7 through the suburbs most of the time, depends if I feel like hearing the noise or not.

Ok, here is a quick video I took.  Sound got a little distorted unfortunately.  I plan on making a far more thorough video with many points of view, however it'll probably be up to a month before I make it. I'm going to shoot it up north where I don't have to worry about seeing traffic.  I'll make sure to that video on this forum as well. 

Let's see if I can get this right.. I don't know how to embed 

Sounds and looks good man. Glad I could um help lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rally_18 said:

Do you have pics of the Exhaust setup or sound clips? 

I only have this sound clip so far.  I will be doing more within a few weeks.

Also Gorske on this forum has a lot of videos of his 5.3L with the Venom 250.

Edited by SkiDooNick700

6 minutes ago, SkiDooNick700 said:

I only have this sound clip so far.  I will be doing more within a few weeks.

Also Gorske on this forum has a lot of videos of his 5.3L with the Venom 250.

Thanks im wondering what the 250 would sound like if i replaced the muffler only and left the flap and resonator.

24 minutes ago, Rally_18 said:

Thanks im wondering what the 250 would sound like if i replaced the muffler only and left the flap and resonator.

I bet you'd be pretty happy with that setup quite honestly.  I remember watching a few vids on YouTube of trucks (differing brands) which had the venom 250 with a resonator still in tact.  Definitely more of a subtle rumble.