Red Rally 2 build

Red Rally 2

So here it starts. I bought a brand new 2017 red Silverado LT Z71 Double cab Rally 2 edition that was a left over with 4 miles on it. It was built in May of 17, and I bought it in July of 18. It was inspected for the first time in June of 18 and normally in PA that has to be done as soon as the truck hits the lot. I’m not sure what the story is on why it sat, but it did and the dealer was more then happy to wheel and deal with me to get it off the lot. I traded a heavily modified 2006 Hummer H3 that I bought new back in 2005. My H3 was the first to have many of these modifications. It was a Victory Red 06 with championship edition hood stripe, custom red & black leather interior, red carbon fiber dipped accents, color match grill, cold air snorkel, tow package, Monsoon radio, custom iPod attachment, DayStar 1 inch body lift, front level Tbar crank, Bilstein front & rear shocks, drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads, Trail Duty extended bump stops, air horn, GM fender flairs with splash guards, General Grabber 315/75/16 tires, GM touring exhaust, GM H3 tips, AirDoc’s intake, K&N filter, PCMforless tune, GM under body protection, PCSpider diff slider, GM rock sliders with steps, Hunner shock/spring sliders, Thor front bumper with bull bar, 12,500 winch, dual batteries, Tmax controller, KC off-road lights, hi-lift jack, engine coil spring delete, ported throttle body, Gobi ladder, stealth roof rack, window shades

91_B4486_E-77_EC-4_D7_C-8452-_C5_F13_C1_

29_B77_C3_A-_F533-4_AE1-_BC82-_FA59390_C

Since I am new to the Silverado platform and the truck is brand new, I expect the modifications to be slow at first. I will be starting with the basics like a bed tonneau, window shades, steering wheel bow tie black out, that type of thing. 

AB942297-63_AE-4_C52-_BCB3-_BBA728174914

4726_BC79-_A938-4_B26-_AB6_D-70_A42_F227

884_BE455-2264-4_B6_D-908_F-_A3_C1932710

9_F127895-2778-4_B43-_A105-_DCF410230_D2

00_F26_EAA-_B6_B1-477_D-8_EB5-8_A312_F15

Edited by Red Rally 2
Add picture
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CMoore711 said:

Truck looks good.  Kind of on the fence with the black stripes along the side, sometimes it looks ok, sometimes it looks like too much.

Clean truck.

Thanks. They are part of the Rally 2 edition. They grew on me after a short while at the dealership.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Did the same thing to mine for the exact same reason. Belt and suspenders is good for both knees and elbows. :thumbs:

Just took a look at your truck. Very nice! I went to buy the 2018 4x4 version of your truck when I bought the red Rally 2. They had one on the lot and when all was said and done, the red Rally 2 was cheaper, so I bought it. Because it is a Z72 Rally 2, some of the customization I had planned are no longer needed. I tend to be more of an off-road type of person when it comes to design. Although I could go that route here, I am finding my thoughts on this one to be more of a street queen look. Time will tell where I take it and thanks for the comments.

• Like 1

Ok, quick upgrade for daily use is this cargo net. Two fold use here, first to use as a divider and second as a capture net. Since it works, I’ll be looking for black or red clips to replace the multi color ones I had laying around.

0_AEC3_C5_A-9162-42_C3-8305-_DA3_CE52_CA

80_A97074-_E14_B-43_C9-_A93_A-_C84_C2_A3

Edited by Red Rally 2

I ordered black hooks, GM bed light kit and an under rear seat storage box to round out the basic customization to become “my truck”. Long term want list includes exhaust and cold air box. Thinking about tune and small lift, but still not sure which direction the build will take over time. My H3 was full blown off road. I’m not really a “slammed” type of guy and my “hot rod” days seem to be behind me. I also have a 58 Chevy in the garage for that. Street queen seems to be where I’m headed...

Black clips and under rear set storage came in and are installed. I know, stupid little things that some of you have already done to many of your trucks over the years, but it is brand new and it is hard to just start doing major modifications when I was not planning on getting this truck. I’m going to need time to think it through...

4_CF5_D07_A-3_CEC-4_A4_B-_A14_A-65569114

A52_CA5_AC-_AFC5-4692-8466-_DBC3907_AD28

F05767_C8-9000-4015-8893-7_EDCF5_FC119_C

I installed the GM bed light kit today. Takes about 15 minutes to do and even though there are no instructions, it is pretty straight forward. Knowing to use the far right, last connector on the bed bus bar is impossible without looking it up. They work well under the tonneau cover, but are intended to extend the cab lights reach, not really as stand alone lighting.

72_DBF67_D-_A8_D2-47_AA-9_C63-_E40_CF8_B

5777_D2_BA-1297-44_EB-_B452-3693_A0_BE27

B40382_EF-01_F4-42_F0-_A4_F0-_DBADE05_D2

A89667_A7-_E524-4865-_A789-2072_C7_D1_E6

great looking truck!!!

this made me chuckle...

Since I am new to the Silverado platform and the truck is brand new, I expect the modifications to be slow at first. I will be starting with the basics like a bed tonneau, window shades, steering wheel bow tie black out, that type of thing. 

once you get the bug it just doesn't stop!!  ha! ha!

keep posting pics of what you are doing.  it's always great seeing what other guys are doing to their rides.

• Like 1

I’m going to clay bar the paint. I notice that the hood and roof has a rough feel to it. It literally sat on the back corner of the back storage lot at the dealership for a year... I bought some touch up paint as a “just in case”.

I’ve been researching cold air induction and exhausts.