Gorehamj

2019 Chevy Colorado Diesel Sees 8% Fuel Efficiency Drop

colorado diesel fuel economy drop 18 19.png

John Goreham

Staff Writer

8-9-18

The 2019 Chevrolet Colorado 2WD Duramax diesel pickup sees its fuel efficiency drop by 8% for the new model year. As you can see from the EPA's official chart above. There is no listing for the 4x4 Colorado Duramax for 2019 yet. It may not be ready yet, or there may be a change in what GM is planning to offer. We suspect the former.

Coincidental to this discovery, our own Zane Merva is presently surrounded by GM employees who work specifically for the truck division. He is at the media launch for the new Silverado in the Western U.S. We have asked Zane if he might do some snooping and see if he can find out what happened for this model year. We looked closely at the fuel economy numbers for the various gasoline offerings in the Colorado line and none of those change for the new model year.

We'd like to tip our hat to the Bozi Tatarevic who posted a tweet on this subject this week. 

So the city is down by 2 which lowered combined by 2?  I've noticed a lot of the ratings are dropping for many cars.  Did the EPA change their testing again?  Case in point the 2019 trucks with the new engines are no better than the current ones, and even 2019 Corvette and Camaro have dropped.   

On 8/9/2018 at 3:08 PM, newdude said:

So the city is down by 2 which lowered combined by 2?  I've noticed a lot of the ratings are dropping for many cars.  Did the EPA change their testing again?  Case in point the 2019 trucks with the new engines are no better than the current ones, and even 2019 Corvette and Camaro have dropped.   

I was wondering the same thing. Ram made a ton of aerodynamic and weight reduction changes to the 2019 Ram 1500 and the truck's rating is identical to the 2018 Ram. The F-150 4WD 3.5EB w/ 10 speed dropped 1 MPG in combined fuel economy in 2018, even though both the city and highway numbers are identical between 2017 and 2018.

The 2019 Silverado saw a very small increase in mpg rating.  It's becoming obvious why.  Real world is most likely a nice upgrade between 2018 and 2019 models.  

• Thanks 1

The EPA has been catching the cheater lately , so I'm guessing GM is playing it safe now.

Edited by Andy King

My new 2019 Ram gets 13.7 in town and my former 3.5 EcoBoost, with more power, got 16 in town. I have the base 3.21 rear and the Ford had 3.55. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By reelle
      I just bought a 1991 Chevy C70 Kodiak C7H042 6.6L 403 CUI Diesel in amazingly great condition. I am now the 3rd owner of this dump truck. The first owner took great care of the vehicle, everything thing appears to be well maintained and no shade tree work. All the parts, wiring and accessories appear to be original and well maintained. However, the second owner bought this truck and never used it. It has sat in a field for about four years. To get to the point, I completely serviced the truck and replaced the batteries, checked the fuses, grounds, relays and I have absolutely no power to the truck. No interior or exterior lights and no lights on the instrument panel. What could be the issue?

• By Snowlopez
      I have a set of 2019 Chevy Colorado rims that are 18x8.5 and 6x120 and they come with tpms already installed. These will fit any 15-19 Colorado and the tpms just need to be programmed to the vehicle. MSRP on these rims and sensors are $2310.08 before tax and core charge (which is $50 per rim). I'm looking for $1600 obo they do not come with tires or center caps. Message me if you have any questions. I have more pictures of the back of the rims showing they are genuine GM rims but they are to large of a file to upload.

• By ThomCannell

Thom Cannell
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      December 6, 2018

Last month Chevrolet invited us to test the Chevrolet Bison, a ZR2 derivative with distinctive upgrades that add to its already solid off road capabilities.

Built off the already-capable Z7R2, American Expedition Vehicles (AEV) provided the collaborative additions that created Bison. It retains the class-exclusive front and rear locking differentials from ZR2, and high-zoot Multimatic DSSV dampers. The design of the Dynamic Suspensions Spool Valve dampers uses hollow cylindrical sleeves instead of familiar discs. These were used first on race cars including Champ cars, LeMans prototypes and F1 They provide superb off road damping, particularly on rough trails where they offer greater passenger comfort.

Getting to the grit of it, a pickup is hard-pressed to have the approach angle of a Jeep, and impossible for a production bed to provide a really short departure. Nonetheless, Bison does a very good job of going over rocks. One of the AEV additions is a set of five hot-stamped Boron-steel skid plates to protect the oil pan, fuel tank, transfer case and front and rear locking differentials, which we tested extensively. “As this is the first Chevrolet vehicle we’ve given the AEV treatment to,” said Dave Harriton, founder and president of AEV, “we wanted to do something special with the industry’s first use of hot-stamped Boron steel.” We think he’s referring to the off-road industry, as hot stamped High Strength Steel is the basis for modern crash-worthy chassis. However, those skid plates kept the rocks out of our oil pan.

Some of the Bison upgrades are more cosmetic than necessary, like replacing the bowtie grille a free-flowing CHEVROLET front grille, Bison decals on the bedsides and an AEV Bison logo on the tailgate plus an embroidered AEV on the floor liners and front head rests. Branding, eh? Performance-oriented changes include the stamped steel front and rear bumpers. The front bumper allows adding a winch (would you go off roading without a winch??), fog lamps and integrated recovery points.

As a truck designed to venture deep into open spaces, Chevy added 31-inch Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires mounted on Bison-specific 12x8-inch aluminum wheels. We tested those, too, and they have plenty of grip on rocks, and in loose dirt. Note that the ZR2 cast-iron control arms and Autotrac transfer case are retained, along with the ZR2’s 3.42:1 axle ratio and front/rear tracks wider by 3.5-inches. Compared to a ZR1, Bison is lifted by two-inches.

Our test vehicle was powered by the new 2.8-liter Duramax diesel (186 hp., 369 lb.-ft.) mated to a six-speed transmission. It was the crew cab model; with the short bed which including some AEV upgrades.

On our highway drive towards an off-road park, we noted that the Bison was extremely quiet, and not just “quiet, for a truck”. No, it was quiet for any kind of vehicle, including a Cadillac. After switching the transfer case into 4WD-high, we bucked our way towards the promised bigger challenges. Along our trail—nothing extreme but way off the beaten path—we again noted there hadn’t been a single squeak, rattle, or buzz. The only odd sounds in the cabin were from the zippers on our camera bags. Bison’s frame is stiff; there’s no tweaking, everything is absolutely tight.

There was no way to call out the suspension and its Multimatic spool-valve-type dampers, however the suspension was supple on the rough trail. Another noise-related note, we picked up no rock noise in the wheel wells despite being pushed around by potholes, rocks and dips. We might as well have been on the freeway, from a noise perspective.

Our truck had almost every American Expedition accessory available. There were LED fog or trail-search lights on the hood, a ladder rack and a storage bin system mounted below a false bed. We only lacked the Baja-style intake snorkel.

The bolted-on roof rack may have added stiffness to the already ultra-stiff box frame, which allowed the suspension do its work. Watching the vehicles ahead of us, we could see how steady the beds were, and how much the suspension was working. For a stock vehicle, there was plenty of travel available. Bison has a solid rear axle and independent front suspension, and there is a divide among off roaders and rock climbers as to whether a solid axle or independent rear suspension is better. Rock climbers seem to prefer solid rear axles.

We thought the ZR2-based Bison chassis with a Duramax diesel made off roading almost a no-challenge event. The diesel engine was totally on-point with torque, needing only a light application of brakes for stability when balancing on rocks. Comparatively, those who had the standard V-6 gasser had a harder time of it, using more throttle to obtain torque, then having to feather the throttle and brake to stay on track. If you've never done rock crawling, you must apply power to get up, apply brake to stop, before being guided down in the correct direction. Yeah, it's really hard to see the front wheels through the engine.

One of the options Chevy will offer through dealers is a shorter, cut off exhaust tip. We strongly recommend this if you’re going rock crawling. Many of us “modified” the longer exhaust tips when crawling off rocks.

After crawling a rock canyon we grouped to head for lunch. Parked on a hill with loose sand and the tranny set in 4WD high, there wasn't enough traction. Locking the rear differential made climbing the hill as simple as stepping on the throttle, in that low traction situation. Having complete control over axles and each wheel made off roading and rock crawling easy, even for beginners.

Note that, in our opinion, the Duramax doesn't deliver optimum fuel economy for the Bison. It's good, but not great. Where it shines is in torque availability for off roading. We can see the Bison with Duramax as a perfect combination for off road camping, adventuring, and modest towing. It's quiet. While on our rock crawls, there was never a sound from the chassis, no wracking, graunching, squeaks or rattles other than when we skidded over rock on those Boron steel protectors. It was billet solid. In fact, we'd go so far as to say our Bison was quieter than a standard Silverado and totally ready for any off road adventure.

Interested in the Colorado ZR2? Join the GM-Trucks.com Colorado ZR2 Facebook Group!
    • By mchasteen40
      Afternoon ladies and gents. I have spent hours upon hours trying to do my homework here on the GM 6.0 gasser engines. I have been around diesels the past 6 years, love my current tow rig. (2013 Ram 2500 Tradesman w/ 6/7 cummins) Truck is stock no deletes. What brought me here is we have our first baby on the way, the thought of saving some money by trading down to a gasser seems like a good idea. But i am not sure with how often i tow that i will be happy. 
      I live in Illinois and tow a 28 ft enclosed racecar hauler throughout the state (mostly flat). I tow every weekend from April to October generally, the trailer weighs close to 8K loaded. Obviously the cummins tows this with zero issues, and i'm assuming the GM 6.0 would tow this fine as well. I found a 2009 Chevy 2500 that's loaded with 110,000 miles on it. It appears to be in great shape, from what i found out it has the LY6 engine. If i were to make the switch i'd free up over 100 bucks a month, but is that really enough to justify the switch? I'm not in a bind for money at the moment, but obviously saving some money never hurts. 
      I guess i'm basically looking at some opinion's from guys that have maybe made the switch from a diesel to a gasser, and see what there thoughts were? Or do i tow enough that i should just stick it out with the diesel? Looking forward to your thoughts! 
      *Also, i would estimate that based on my location and where i'm traveling i drive roughly 3500-4000 miles a year with the trailer hooked up. 
    • By S P
      I just traded our 2012 BMW X5 diesel (3.0L Inline-6 asymmetrical twin-turbo, 265hp, 425tq) for a 2018 Suburban. The turbodiesel performed brilliantly in that 5200 lb SUV, and you could easily get 26-28 mpg on road trips, and it did north of 20 mpg average in local driving. I've been saying for years that a lot of these mid to large-sized SUVs are just screaming for 6-cylinder class diesel engines, so it's nice to finally see them popping up. I'd love to see this engine be an option in the next gen Suburban/Tahoe and the Yukons. Who else?