Gorehamj

2019 Chevy Colorado Diesel Sees 8% Fuel Efficiency Drop

colorado diesel fuel economy drop 18 19.png

John Goreham

Staff Writer

8-9-18

The 2019 Chevrolet Colorado 2WD Duramax diesel pickup sees its fuel efficiency drop by 8% for the new model year. As you can see from the EPA's official chart above. There is no listing for the 4x4 Colorado Duramax for 2019 yet. It may not be ready yet, or there may be a change in what GM is planning to offer. We suspect the former.

Coincidental to this discovery, our own Zane Merva is presently surrounded by GM employees who work specifically for the truck division. He is at the media launch for the new Silverado in the Western U.S. We have asked Zane if he might do some snooping and see if he can find out what happened for this model year. We looked closely at the fuel economy numbers for the various gasoline offerings in the Colorado line and none of those change for the new model year.

We'd like to tip our hat to the Bozi Tatarevic who posted a tweet on this subject this week. 

So the city is down by 2 which lowered combined by 2?  I've noticed a lot of the ratings are dropping for many cars.  Did the EPA change their testing again?  Case in point the 2019 trucks with the new engines are no better than the current ones, and even 2019 Corvette and Camaro have dropped.   

On 8/9/2018 at 3:08 PM, newdude said:

So the city is down by 2 which lowered combined by 2?  I've noticed a lot of the ratings are dropping for many cars.  Did the EPA change their testing again?  Case in point the 2019 trucks with the new engines are no better than the current ones, and even 2019 Corvette and Camaro have dropped.   

I was wondering the same thing. Ram made a ton of aerodynamic and weight reduction changes to the 2019 Ram 1500 and the truck's rating is identical to the 2018 Ram. The F-150 4WD 3.5EB w/ 10 speed dropped 1 MPG in combined fuel economy in 2018, even though both the city and highway numbers are identical between 2017 and 2018.

The 2019 Silverado saw a very small increase in mpg rating.  It's becoming obvious why.  Real world is most likely a nice upgrade between 2018 and 2019 models.  

• Thanks 1

The EPA has been catching the cheater lately , so I'm guessing GM is playing it safe now.

Edited by Andy King

My new 2019 Ram gets 13.7 in town and my former 3.5 EcoBoost, with more power, got 16 in town. I have the base 3.21 rear and the Ford had 3.55. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Zane

Zane Merva
      Executive Editor / Publisher - GM-Trucks.com
      May 24th, 2019

A few days after we got a look at the changes for the 2020 Sierra, Chevrolet is letting on to what's going to change for the 2020 Silverado. Surprise, it's actually some significant stuff. 

More 6.2L
      First up, the 6.2L makes its long awaited move to trim levels below LTZ. Now Custom Trail Boss, RST, and LT Trail Boss trim levels can also order the 420 horsepower engine option. As owners of a 2019 LTZ with the 6.2L , we highly recommend it. 

More 10-speed
      LT Trail Boss and High Country with the 5.3L engine will upgrade to the all new 10-speed transmission. This move was more expected as GM flushes out the 10-speed into more models and slowly phases out the 8-speed and 6-speed transmissions its sold for years. 

A New 3.0L Diesel
      The new light duty Duramax makes it's debut in 2020. It will be available on LT, RST, and above trim levels.  This engine will also come with the new 10-speed transmission. 

Smaller changes
      Other additions to the lineup for 2020 include adaptive cruise control and a new "transparent trailer" camera system that displays up to 15 different views. 

Order Guide

Deletions 
           (GE0) Oakwood Metallic
           (PDT) High Country Premium Package
           (R13) WT Appearance Package
      New Features 
           (DPO) and (DQS) Vertical Trailering Mirrors
           (KSG) Adaptive Cruise Control now included in (PDJ) Safety Package II
      Changes 
           (MQB) 10-speed transmission is now standard on 4WD High Country models with (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 DFM engine and LT Trail Boss
           (UV2) HD Surround Vision is replaced with (UVS) HD Surround Vision with Two Trailer Camera Provisions
           (CWM) Technology Package now includes (UVN) Bed View Camera
           (PCV) WT Convenience Package is now available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete
           (PTT) Tire Pressure Monitor System becomes (PTT) Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors
           (V46) and (VJH) Chrome bumpers are now free flow on 1WT
           (Q5U) 17" Bight silver painted aluminum wheels are now free flow on 1WT

2020 Chevrolet Silverado Photos

• By socalbrit
      Our 2017 2WD Colorado Z71  with 33k miles started making a knocking sound at low speed, worst at around 20mph, sometimes more noticeable than others. First the dealer put it down to normal tire noise, then a few months later  when the noise got worse said it was cupped tires and that we needed to replace them. They recommended less aggressive tires as the "stock" all terrain tires always cup and make noise apparently. So, we had a new set of tires put on and the rhythmic thumping was still there, more obvious now that it wasn't masked by tire noise. The noise seemed to come from the front of the car and was noticeable at low speed 10-20mph and would speed and slow with the car. Once you're tuned into it you can hear it/feel it around 40mph too but its more of a vibration. 

Took it back to the dealer and test drove, they heard the knocking and decided to replace both front hubs under warranty. When we picked the car up they said the noise was gone other than normal truck noises, on the drive home it obviously wasn't. In fact it's worse under some conditions.

Now it seems that either the problem is getting worse or we're hearing/feeling things that aren't there. The knocking has become stronger but only sometimes, and at highway speeds it feels like the whole truck is buffeting and vibrating. It also seems to be slipping gears, or shuddering between changes at low revs. 

Having taken it back tot he dealer they say there's nothing wrong, they can't hear or feel any problems, and to be fair to them the knocking was less noticeable when I drove it with them but the vibration and shudder was there. I did ask to drive a new one so I could feel the difference and perhaps it's just normal but they didn't want to do that.

I've now left it with them and asked them to test drive it more and if they're happy there's no problem then I'll pick it up and if it comes back I'll take it somewhere else for an independent test.

We're 100% sure on the rhythmic knocking/thumping, especially as it's the same issue before and after the tires and hubs were changed, perhaps this is normal. As for the vibration and buffeting we're less sure, it does seem like it's slipping gears and shuddering but after so much focus listening to the thumping perhaps we're just seeing problems where none exist. 

Does anyone else have any similar experiences, or are we truly just going a bit nuts?

• By pratt9234
      Hello,

I am desperate for any assistance that can be provided for our situation. 

We are US military stationed in Germany. Our 2015 Sierra recently threw the p21dd code. We ordered the replacement reductant tank and installed it ourselves. The engine codes were cleared but we are still getting limitations on our speed and distance. We are stuck at 88kph/80km until we drop down to 6kph. In the research that I've done so far, it seems we need a manual regen done on the truck in order for the limitations to go away. 

This is where we are having the biggest issue. GM will not assist us in any way because we do not reside in the US. They constantly revert us back to the German GM entity and I've lost all hope in trying to communicate with them. We have been hung up on more times than I can count because we do not speak German. So, is there any hope for fixing our vehicle before it goes limp? If we can't get it fixed, we don't know what we will do as we cannot sell it in this state, we can't ship it in this state, and we definitely can't drive it. 

We are struggling to find a light at the end of this tunnel and would greatly appreciate any help available. 

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      5-15-2019
      The same folks that GM turned to for the specialty equipment on the Colorado ZR2 Bison have created a fantastic tray bed concept of the truck. America Expedition Vehicles (AEV) built the concept for Overland Expo West. The concept truck shows off new high-clearance fender flares that AEV has developed. AEV took the new tray bed concept Bisons on a three-day off-road desert adventure to see how well they new bed would hold up. The post-trip report is that it worked flawlessly. The new fender flares allow for the fitment of 35" wheels without a lift kit. 

The new tray bed and fender flares are presently in development. AEV hopes to have more information for those interested soon. Follow AEV via its website, or at the company's Facebook page. 

Images courtesy of AEV and Scott Brady.  

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      3-25-2019
      General Motors' new 3.0-liter six-cylinder turbo diesel engine is arriving later this year. Over the weekend GM-Trucks.com received confirmation of the new engine's specifications when in the 2019 and 2020 Silverado. 

Elizabeth Winter, Assistant Manager, GM Product and Brand Communications told us:
      I can confirm that the all-new, Duramax 3.0L inline-six turbo diesel will deliver an SAE-certified 277 hp and 460 lb-ft of torque, more than any other light-duty, full-size truck diesel available. Dealers and customers can place orders for the efficient, refined diesel and the first customer deliveries begin this summer. We will share more information, including towing capacity and efficiency, in the near future. It is priced identically to the 6.2L V-8 as a $2,495 premium over a 5.3L V-8 model (or $3,890 over a 2.7L Turbo model) making the 3.0L Duramax the most affordable light-duty diesel engine on the market.

GM has said previously that the Silverado's new 3.0-turbo diesel engine have start/stop technology and will be paired with a 10-speed transmission. By comparison, Ford's Power Stroke diesel, arriving in May, offers 250 horsepower and 440 lb.-ft. of torque. The 2019 Ram has not yet received its updated diesel engine. The 2018 diesel engine offerings specs were 240 horsepower and 420 lb.-ft. of torque.

We will bring you more information as it is made available.