Gorehamj

2019 Chevy Colorado Diesel Sees 8% Fuel Efficiency Drop

colorado diesel fuel economy drop 18 19.png

John Goreham

Staff Writer

8-9-18

The 2019 Chevrolet Colorado 2WD Duramax diesel pickup sees its fuel efficiency drop by 8% for the new model year. As you can see from the EPA's official chart above. There is no listing for the 4x4 Colorado Duramax for 2019 yet. It may not be ready yet, or there may be a change in what GM is planning to offer. We suspect the former.

Coincidental to this discovery, our own Zane Merva is presently surrounded by GM employees who work specifically for the truck division. He is at the media launch for the new Silverado in the Western U.S. We have asked Zane if he might do some snooping and see if he can find out what happened for this model year. We looked closely at the fuel economy numbers for the various gasoline offerings in the Colorado line and none of those change for the new model year.

We'd like to tip our hat to the Bozi Tatarevic who posted a tweet on this subject this week. 

So the city is down by 2 which lowered combined by 2?  I've noticed a lot of the ratings are dropping for many cars.  Did the EPA change their testing again?  Case in point the 2019 trucks with the new engines are no better than the current ones, and even 2019 Corvette and Camaro have dropped.   

On 8/9/2018 at 3:08 PM, newdude said:

So the city is down by 2 which lowered combined by 2?  I've noticed a lot of the ratings are dropping for many cars.  Did the EPA change their testing again?  Case in point the 2019 trucks with the new engines are no better than the current ones, and even 2019 Corvette and Camaro have dropped.   

I was wondering the same thing. Ram made a ton of aerodynamic and weight reduction changes to the 2019 Ram 1500 and the truck's rating is identical to the 2018 Ram. The F-150 4WD 3.5EB w/ 10 speed dropped 1 MPG in combined fuel economy in 2018, even though both the city and highway numbers are identical between 2017 and 2018.

The 2019 Silverado saw a very small increase in mpg rating.  It's becoming obvious why.  Real world is most likely a nice upgrade between 2018 and 2019 models.  

• Thanks 1

The EPA has been catching the cheater lately , so I'm guessing GM is playing it safe now.

Edited by Andy King

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Rabid K9
      My 2015 Z71 Colorado has been running great - no issues... until about a week ago.  The cargo light has begun coming on when I start the truck, and usually stays on until the end of my trip when I turn the vehicle off.  Other times it may stay on for a while, then go off.  The dashboard switch is "off" and no customization work has been done to the truck electrical.  Anyone have any ideas how to correct this and have the light return to operating as intended?
    • By DanG
      I have an io3 in a 2016 Colorado.  It either starts up well in the morning or repeatedly reboots.  Rebooting has lasted up to 2 days before.  It has been reprogrammed and more recently the control panel replaced.  Rebooting is down to about 2 days a week and can last up to 15 minutes.  It can end on the radio screen, the home screen or the clock only.  It can reset nothing, reset the clock, and/ or reset the station presets.  Lately, it's just reset the clock.  Any help is appreciated.  Dealer is currently waiting for an answer from GM.  What could be wrong?  

Update:  Dealer received word from GM.  This is a known problem with no known fix.  No further attempt at repair.
    • By Marauder_Pilot
      I'm looking into replacing my aging 2002 Silverado Z71 with a new Canyon or Colorado, I'm eyeballing two at my local dealership that come with 15% cashback plus a few discounts. Options-wise they're very similar, one an extended cab Colorado Redline and the other a crew cab short box Canyon, 4x4s and V6s both.

I've taken them for a test drive, and really liked how they drove-I found them both really comfortable, and they were (At least from my perspective) really pleasant to drive on the highway and handled great to drive around. But for those that have had one for a while, how are they to live with? I've seen issues with the 8-speed transmissions, but aside from that are there any known problems that are popping up with these trucks? 
    • By fondupot
      Hey guys, so I did a review and install video for Clearview Mirrors USA. They were awesome and sent me out a set of mirrors for my truck. I did a full unboxing, review, and installation of the mirrors.

They really are top notch. Be it pricey, but if you are doing any sort of towing with your Colorado or Canyon, these mirrors will definitely make your life easier. The mirrors are super well made, very sturdy. I am very pleased with them.

All the info you need is in the video. Leave a comment and a thumbs up. Definitely go visit the www.ClearviewMirrorsUSA.com website and check out the product page.

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      6-19-2018
      GM is recalling a list of vehicles because a fuel line can detach from the fuel pump and thus present the chance for a fire. The full text of the NHTSA report is listed below. If you want to look up your own vehicle to see if yours is on that recall list you can do so here.  Or you can hope that the snail mail system works and brings you a notice. If this recall sounds familiar don't be surprised. GM has had a long history of recalling vehicles for fuel pump and fuel line failures.