Single speed transfer case

oldmann

In my 40 years working pipelines and utility ROWs I can count on one hand the times I used lo range. On my trucks with auto 4WD that was usually enough. Saying that I would never buy a 4WD without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the same way with 2WD vs. 4WD. It doesn't snow here but you'd really appreciate it if it ever happened. I would never consider a 2WD. And having been in a situation where I needed 4L, even though it was just once, I won't consider one without 4L.

I have spent many MANY  hours in 4 lo off-road in my previous vehicle- Toyota 4Runner.  Sometimes 4-5 days at a time. 

4 lo is Absolutely necessary for any real trail or off-road driving and maybe very occasionally for backing a trailer up over a curb or a steep hill. Otherwise you really won’t need it. 

I don’t think anything can mimic the mechanical advantage that lower gearing provides- but kudos to GM for trying to make it work. 

Edited by Limelight

I haven't looked into the gearing of the transmissions, but I would wager a 2-speed transfer case is almost certainly getting to the point of being unnecessary. In my older trucks with fewer options of gears in the transmission, it had its place. I can only assume that the 8 and 10-speed transmissions could have taller 1st without giving up a shorter top gear. If GM did their research which I would hope they did. I would wager after the gears in the trans and diffs your ratios may even come out to nearly the same even without it.  This is the only way that I could see making sense of not having the 2-speed transfer case. 

In any case, I don't use four low in my trucks that have it. But outside of my 19 RST, they have 4.10 rears and 6.32 & 5.72 first gears. Also, I think there would be an argument in there somewhere that if you needed a truck to do something that would require even lower gearing, you should probably be looking at the HD's anyways. 

Seems to me that for anyone who would specifically want 4L in their truck, they would also want skid plates, etc. that comes with a Z71 package anyway, which around here is optioned on like 95% of the 4x4 trucks on dealer lots.  So what's the big deal?

Also kind of a nice way to differentiate Z71 as being a serious 4wd truck vs. the standard 4x4 with the soccer mom transfer case - it's no longer just a badge and a few bolt-on items.

That being said, we used to get 4L on all the trucks -- chalk it to up one more nickel and dime cost saving measure GM used in the 2019. 

I'm a lot more pissed about my missing overhead sunglasses holder and various other interior compartments that have gone missing.

Edited by scdaren

No, I don't care about any of this, but 4L is a must since I have been in situations where I needed it.

The gearing would not matter, none would have the ultra-low gears the 4L has. I only needed it just once when I was in a situation that required 4L and very convenient.

I wanted the Z71 because I thought it had better handling. I later found out that the Z71 has two-speed which is really nice! I would have been pissed if I found out I didn't have it!

2 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

No, I don't care about any of this, but 4L is a must since I have been in situations where I needed it.

The gearing would not matter, none would have the ultra-low gears the 4L has. I only needed it just once when I was in a situation that required 4L and very convenient.

I wanted the Z71 because I thought it had better handling. I later found out that the Z71 has two-speed which is really nice! I would have been pissed if I found out I didn't have it!

Yeah it is kind of one of those things you just expect to be there, since it always has been.  The sales guy on one of the test drives pointed it out when I asked what you get extra with the Z71, or I never would've noticed before buying a truck.

3 hours ago, Austin Mecham said:

I haven't looked into the gearing of the transmissions, but I would wager a 2-speed transfer case is almost certainly getting to the point of being unnecessary. In my older trucks with fewer options of gears in the transmission, it had its place. I can only assume that the 8 and 10-speed transmissions could have taller 1st without giving up a shorter top gear. If GM did their research which I would hope they did. I would wager after the gears in the trans and diffs your ratios may even come out to nearly the same even without it.  This is the only way that I could see making sense of not having the 2-speed transfer case. 

In any case, I don't use four low in my trucks that have it. But outside of my 19 RST, they have 4.10 rears and 6.32 & 5.72 first gears. Also, I think there would be an argument in there somewhere that if you needed a truck to do something that would require even lower gearing, you should probably be looking at the HD's anyways. 

Nope. Even with the lower first gear ratios the 6, 8, and 10 speeds have your crawl ratio is no higher than 20:1 without low range. 

Low range takes that number and then multiplies it by 2.72 (I think...unless GM finally chose a different number after 30 years).

So no, low first gears won’t solely make up for no low range unless first is 10:1 or lower. 

I like the smaller size and better front coil spring suspension of the half tons over the 3/4 and 1 tons. Much better for my purposes than a bigger truck. 

533899D1-69FD-43BC-B1EC-C3AF4C5A162E.png

Have to agree here. No matter how many gears the transmission has, 4L is way lower than the lowest, no comparison here, probably by a magnitude of ten

On 08/05/2019 at 11:42 AM, MtEvan said:

I don't understand why the 2 speed transfer case isn't available with the Max trailering package. Sometimes l need 4 lo to get heavy equipment to the job site.

This seems like a major over site on GM's part.

I suspect they're trying to convince people who are on the fence to spring for the 6.2.

• 10 months later...
On 9/7/2018 at 10:29 AM, rkj__ said:

I'd be interested to hear more about that 4lo mimic button.  Any video reviews yet?

I have a single speed on a Silverado custom, the terrain mode applies some braking, but it is a poor 4lo mimic, kind of nasty of Chevy to do this, while not needed often but when u need it u need it. I don’t think a 4wd without a dual speed transfer case should be called 4 wheel drive but rather all wheel drive so that us customers looking for 4 wheel drive will get what we are looking for

if you want/need it buy Z71 pkg....I have 4x4 and will probably never or rarely use it, if I need it I have it.....I didn't get Z71 because I am sure the 'terrain mode' is more than sufficient....and I don't want the shitty twin tube ranchos (had them before)…...I am sure alot don't need it to do what they do but are used to it or its all they know or don't really understand dynamics and just want it cuz that's what everyone else has, who knows.....the internet is full of every breed....its everyones 50k so spend it however you like....if you want it they have it is all that matters, lol.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pickles said:

I have a single speed on a Silverado custom, the terrain mode applies some braking, but it is a poor 4lo mimic, kind of nasty of Chevy to do this, while not needed often but when u need it u need it. I don’t think a 4wd without a dual speed transfer case should be called 4 wheel drive but rather all wheel drive so that us customers looking for 4 wheel drive will get what we are looking for

Looks like you'd have to go up to a Custom Trailboss or down to a WT to get a 2 speed transfer case. But if 4Lo is a key feature for you, maybe you should have confirmed the truck has it before buying? 

Y'all need to do your homework before buying a vehicle so you know and understand what you're getting.  Proper tire selection negates the need of 4WD in most driving situations.  The single speed TC is primarily offered for driving through snow and heavy rain.  4LO is for deep and steep conditions, events most folks never encounter.

• Like 4