leveling a trailboss

13 minutes ago, AJMBLAZER said:

It does actually have new CV axle shafts. Not sure if they are higher angle capable or something?

I understand they come with new CV axel shafts, however these shafts only address the addition length needed.  The longer CV axels won’t address failure to drop the differential, which is how CV axel angles are corrected.  Maybe they are stronger to deal with the angles, but that still leaves the; steering linkage, and lower/uppper control arms not being addressed. At 2” this probably isn’t a huge deal as many run 2” level kits already; however I think people may be putting too much stress on these unaddressed components by adding an additional leveling kit on top of basically a level kit in regards to angles.  2” leveling kit on top of the 2” trail boss “level kit” is putting your angles at the functional equivalent of a 4” level kit. I’m just saying becareful to those going this route. If my understanding is correct, I could see GM looking to void warranties on level kits quicker compared to the past due to such extreme angles. 

• Like 1

That was my concern. Stacking a 2” level with spacers on a 2” level via shocks is still 4” of sketchy lift. 

There are higher angle capable CV’s out there so it is possible GM has invested in that technology. 

Edited by AJMBLAZER

I saw a trail boss at my dealer today. I was not able to see the steering linkage (tie rods) angles or the upper & lower control arm ball joint angles. I was able to see the CV axle and it looked good. If there was an angle I couldn’t see it. With that said I couldn’t get all the way to the ground due to a recent appendectomy. But wanted to share for others to see.  *IF* the steering and ball joints look like the CV angles then perhaps a level kit would be possible.  I’m not sure how they addressed the CV angle.

• 2 weeks later...

so is there a way to achieve the level on the trailbosses without replacing all these components. meaning something as simple as the lower spacers ? also talking about the possibility once more companies start releasing more products. 

Leveling the front only is great if you're just a looks guy, but a bad decision if you tow or carry loads with your truck. Put the rear block in if you use your truck as a truck. 

Trailboss at my dealer looks like you could stuff a 35" in there, turning may be another story. If 35" tires are on your list of needs, you need to save up enough for a true 4" suspension lift as said before a 2" lift on top of a 2" lift is not the proper approach without re-designing your suspension and drive-line geometry. By the time you buy the proper CA's/BJ's, drop brackets, axles etc. you will be more $ into it than a 4" suspension lift. No cutting with most 4" lifts as well so there is that bonus over a 6" lift and they are usually a lot cheaper.    

• Like 1

35s fit on the trail boss and at4 with stock wheels.  Aftermarket wheels push the wheels out and 35s will not fit.  I also have seen a leveled 2019 denali around here with stock 22s and 35in tires.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/22/2018 at 8:47 AM, L86 All Terrain said:

Leveling the front only is great if you're just a looks guy, but a bad decision if you tow or carry loads with your truck. Put the rear block in if you use your truck as a truck. 

Trailboss at my dealer looks like you could stuff a 35" in there, turning may be another story. If 35" tires are on your list of needs, you need to save up enough for a true 4" suspension lift as said before a 2" lift on top of a 2" lift is not the proper approach without re-designing your suspension and drive-line geometry. By the time you buy the proper CA's/BJ's, drop brackets, axles etc. you will be more $ into it than a 4" suspension lift. No cutting with most 4" lifts as well so there is that bonus over a 6" lift and they are usually a lot cheaper.    

I put in 5100's set at third highest setting, or about 1.25", which is not quite level. However the stock rear suspension is soft to begin with, which is why there is such a dramatic rake. I added Timberens to the rear because I do haul heavy loads- wood pellets, rocks, firewood, lot's of camping/hunting gear.. They work great and don't compromise the rear end cushiness unless called upon by a load. 

Twice I hauled a ton of flagstone rock 860 miles from my Mom's place in CO back home to MT.  Even with all that weight I was damn near level. 

Edited by Threerun
  • Like 1

There has to be somebody out there that has tried the rough country 2" leveling kit!?

I know that the trailboss uses different cv shafts and so installing the RC kit would in theory put them at their limit but really no different than a normal Silverado (and standard shafts)with a level kit.

I would love to level mine and the $69 RC kit would be the nicest way to go economically. 

The CV’s aren’t the issue. Since the Trailboss uses the same steering, ball joints, etc as a regular 4x4 the rest of the standard, non-Trailboss parts would be operating at what is effectively a 4” level. 

• Like 2

On 2/12/2019 at 12:55 PM, HvyChvy334 said:

I just talked to Rough Country and they are currently developing a leveling kit for the Trail Boss and AT4 that should be available later this year. They said there was no ETA at the moment. 

There are a number of people installing    1 1/2" or 2" under strut lift without any short term problems. Time will tell if it ends up putting premature wear on the ball joints and steering parts but it certainly works to level the truck. If you go to the forum about fitting 35s on a AT4/Trailboss there are pics and comments.