2018 5.3L, Which oil/filter do you use?

Was going to change the oil in my truck this weekend & wondering what oil you all are using.  I normally use Mobil 1 in my other vehicles, was going to get it, but saw Valvoline synthetic that says it is formulated for 2012+ engines.  Mobil 1 doesn't say that, but thinking its probably formulated for it.  Both were 0W-20. 

Next question, what filter?  I normally use Fram or AC-Delco in my other vehicles.

Was going to change the oil in my truck this weekend & wondering what oil you all are using.  I normally use Mobil 1 in my other vehicles, was going to get it, but saw Valvoline synthetic that says it is formulated for 2012+ engines.  Mobil 1 doesn't say that, but thinking its probably formulated for it.  Both were 0W-20. 

Next question, what filter?  I normally use Fram or AC-Delco in my other vehicles.
Go for Amsoil. Use their filter too. Best stuff there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Same as these guys.  AMSOIL oil and filter. 

I actually went with AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-30 instead of the 20 weight.  I have almost 10 more psi at idle when hot, and no loss of MPG.  Is it necessary, no.  But it puts my mind at ease, especially when towing and working the engine harder.

Edited by Kubs
  • Like 2

Royal Purple Oil is the best. Dyno proven on my engine right in front of me. 2nd I would say AMSOIL but only because I have heard good things . Different weight oils depend on time of year. Race cars are different. 

Oil filter is a different story As I currently am having issues with that. Fitment to the sub frame limits my options. 

I also am testing a additive that is allowing me to keep the super low weight oil but resolve the consumption and psi issues. So far it is good but not many miles on the oil yet. New turbo just installed yesterday.  

• Thanks 1

GM Dexos w/Delco filter, at the dealer. Every 6K... I get free oil changes and tire rotations for as long as I own it providing that I have all scheduled maintenance performed there. Just had my 5th oil change. 2 came with the truck, the next 3 were on the dealer.

So far so good.

GM Dexos w/Delco filter, at the dealer. Every 6K... I get free oil changes and tire rotations for as long as I own it providing that I have all scheduled maintenance performed there. Just had my 5th oil change. 2 came with the truck, the next 3 were on the dealer.
So far so good.
The latest gm bulletin said heavy oil consumption every 2k. So by 6k you "could" be low 4qt.
Also I see many people are running different weights.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just now, 1SLOW1500 said:

The latest gm bulletin said heavy oil consumption every 2k. So by 6k you "could" be low 4qt.
Also I see many people are running different weights.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I check it regularly. By regularly, I mean every 3rd or 4th fill up... I haven't noted any significant oil consumption. Truck is a completely stock 2017, 5.3. 25,000 miles.

10 minutes ago, Loco-diablo said:

So far so good.

Free oil changes as long as you own the vehicle is a sweet deal.  The Toyota and Honda dealers here offer the same thing when you buy a new vehicle from them.

My dad got the same deal a long time ago down in Orlando when he purchased his 1989 GMC S15.  He got free oil changes for life.  He was at the dealer every Saturday morning when he hit 3 months.  He didn't drive it enough to reach 3k miles in that time frame.  Needless to say he did that for 10yrs.  That dealer lost money on him.  :) 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

Free oil changes as long as you own the vehicle is a sweet deal.  The Toyota and Honda dealers here offer the same thing when you buy a new vehicle from them.

My dad got the same deal a long time ago down in Orlando when he purchased his 1989 GMC S15.  He got free oil changes for life.  He was at the dealer every Saturday morning when he hit 3 months.  He didn't drive it enough to reach 3k miles in that time frame.  Needless to say he did that for 10yrs.  That dealer lost money on him.  :) 

I have never had the dealer change my oil. Ive had the truck 2 years now and ive getten about 4 calls "hello sir. You havent recieved any of your frew maintenance items such as oil change, tire rotarion etc" ya thanks im good broseph, i got this myself

And as for the thread. Ionly use amsoil sig series with amsoil filter

• Like 2

I don't believe there really is a "best" oil. Too many variables. For general purpose street use there are plenty of good oils out there that will perform well. If you have a 2018 I assume you still have powertrain warranty. A Dexos1 certified 0W-20 is all you really need. I have been using Mobil 1 since I had my last oil change done by the dealer as part of the included maintenance. I'm now at 142,000 miles. Engine runs good and oil consumption is minimum (1/2-3/4 qt every oil change which is around 7300 miles). My primary reason for using Mobil 1 is due to price. They usually have a $12 rebate on 5 quart jugs every spring and fall. They will accept Walmart purchases even though they don't list them as a participating retailer. After rebate a 5 quart jug comes out to around $13 which is hard to beat. They also offer a $17 rebate if you purchase a Mobil 1 oil filter also. This is the filter I have been using lately (M1-212A). This promotion is still going on (ends October 31st): https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/synthetic-motor-oil-coupon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1