Battery life

I have a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 I purchased in nov 2015, we are coming up on nov 2018 or 3 years. It’s about to get cold, to avoid being stranded should I replace my battery? It struggles just a tad but normally never has a problem firing up.

how old are your batteries? What would you recommend replacing with if I do. 

My 2008 Canyon has the original battery in it. 

If you are concerned with being stranded in the cold, consider one of those small lithium booster packs. 

• Thanks 1

Batteries are like a box of chocolates...…  You Never Know What Your'e Gonna Get! :lol:

The battery in my '14 is still original and working fine for now.

If you have the cash and do not want to chance it, go for a new one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, texasaggies16 said:

... It struggles just a tad but normally never has a problem firing up.

If that is the case then I think you battery is living on borrowed time!  I have had great service from Optima Batteries.  They are more expensive, but they sure do last.

• Like 1

I have a 2014 Silverado 1500 built in May of 2014 with 78k miles. A couple of weeks ago I had to get a new battery. I noticed over a couple of days that it was just starting to turn over a little slower than usual but it wasn’t like a struggle. Just a little slower. It cranked up fine one trip and an hour later it didn’t have enough power to turn over. If you think it’s slowing down go ahead and replace so it doesn’t leave you with a dead battery at bad time. 

It seems here in eastern NC I get an average of 5yrs out of our batteries.  By the fifth year winter time they start to crank slow to the point of not wanting to start.  This is on stock AC/Delco and batteries from Advance Auto and Autozone.    I guess the summer heat here takes it's toll on them.

Edited by Black02Silverado
grammar
  • Like 1

Crazy battery story. I bought Daisy, my Buick, with a new Walmart battery in her. Started fine but was tripping warnings like "Emergency brake on" or "Door ajar". Turned out it was a battery with a bridged cell. Literally internally is was a 9.* volt a battery. Drove the BCM mad as a hatter. I get new ones load tested now before we leave the store. New Interstate in her and purrs like a kitten with a bowl of warm milk. :thumbs:

My 2015 got a new one this spring because I didn't drive the truck over winter, and was too lazy to remove the battery (if you have done a battery swap on a K2 you will know what I am talking about lol) and I didn't start it often enough. If you daily drive your truck and don't often use it as a stereo or flashlight you should get 5+ years out of a Delco battery. I had a 2010 Sierra that had a bad block heater cord that was backordered and I never put it on. I had this truck for five years and two winters were all cold starts in weather as cold as -37f, the battery was fine when I traded it in. You can keep a battery a long time if you don't kill them. Drain them down to nothing four or five times in below freezing temperatures they are done. I usually have to buy 8-12 batteries after the Christmas holidays for my class 8's because they will freeze over a matter of 7 days and be no good. 

As previously noted, the only true way to know the status is to load test the battery. You local parts store may be able to do this if you don't have a battery tester. 

Edited by L86 All Terrain