Owners Pictures of 35" Tires on Stock AT4 or Trail Boss

4 hours ago, popedecoys said:

Hi all - new to the forum and have read thru this entire thread.  Picked up an AT4 last week and had 295/70r18 Terra Grappler G2s put on.  Thought they would fit fine based on previous comments, but the passenger side tire is rubbing at full lock - mostly on the splash guard.  The truck is currently stock with no level and factory 18" wheels.  

I am considering either living with the rub, dropping down to 275/70r18s, or adding the Motofab 1/2" leveling spacers to top and bottom of the strut.  I spoke with Motofab yesterday and they are anticipating having the 1" bottom block available again in a couple weeks, but i have a few trips lined up and wanted to address the issue sooner rather than later.  Apparently there is no issue with doing both the top and bottom .5" spacers.  I'm a bit concerned about adding the level.  Seems that the CV boots are prone to tearing - has anyone had issues when installing?  Some kits (Motofab does not in their instructions) note removing the axle nut to gain some greater articulation when installing.  Is this something anyone has done during their install?  I also noticed that there are a couple of wiring harnesses on top of the struts making the 3rd bolt hard to access.  Any pointers on this as it's not really addressed in the install instructions.  

I’m interested in how you resolve this as I’ve considered those tires. Any pictures?

Hi all - new to the forum and have read thru this entire thread.  Picked up an AT4 last week and had 295/70r18 Terra Grappler G2s put on.  Thought they would fit fine based on previous comments, but the passenger side tire is rubbing at full lock - mostly on the splash guard.  The truck is currently stock with no level and factory 18" wheels.  

I am considering either living with the rub, dropping down to 275/70r18s, or adding the Motofab 1/2" leveling spacers to top and bottom of the strut.  I spoke with Motofab yesterday and they are anticipating having the 1" bottom block available again in a couple weeks, but i have a few trips lined up and wanted to address the issue sooner rather than later.  Apparently there is no issue with doing both the top and bottom .5" spacers.  I'm a bit concerned about adding the level.  Seems that the CV boots are prone to tearing - has anyone had issues when installing?  Some kits (Motofab does not in their instructions) note removing the axle nut to gain some greater articulation when installing.  Is this something anyone has done during their install?  I also noticed that there are a couple of wiring harnesses on top of the struts making the 3rd bolt hard to access.  Any pointers on this as it's not really addressed in the install instructions.  

I have the motofab 1.5 bottom spacer installed. When I installed the spacers I did not remove the axle nut however I didn’t have the remove the strut as it is the bottom spacer. The axle did pop out as I dropped down the spindle and I got scared...I installed the bottom spacer and then turned the axle straight again and pushed it back into place all was good and it did give me room to install new bolts. There are 1” motofab kits on ebay that should fit it says up to 2019 but it should fit even on 2020 as my kit said 2018 and fits my 2019.67f39a51060f94441ae7e89c46568af7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rub is fairly slight and only on the passenger side.  Thanks for pointing out the 1" spacer asalinaszx39 - I've ordered one as I think the single spacer install may go smoother.  I am not completely convinced that the 1" level will solve the issue.  Many of the level kits only reccomend up to a 275/60r20 which is barely a 34" tire.  

* I realized after my initial post that this is the 35" tire thread and not the 18" wheel thread.  Please let me know if i should move the post.  

20200610_103557.jpg

While I did a different lift on my 2020 AT4 than the leveling kit you are considering, I can say it is worth removing the axle nut and dropping the spindle well out of the way. It is not hard and it gives you plenty of room to work. You can then easily set the CV back in place and ensure it is in properly.

Regarding the wire harnesses on the strut towers, they are anchored to a plastic mount that pushes down onto the strut bolts. With a little bit of force, you can lift the entire harness mount from the bolts just enough to push it up and out of the way. You can then access all of the strut nuts pretty easily. You might want to get the ones on each side closest to the motor from the top with a ratchet and extension.

I’ve got over 2k miles on since putting on my lift and by CVs and CV boots are perfect. No issues at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

17 hours ago, RedHoodTrailBoss said:

I am new to this forum ... I have a 2020 Silverado Trail Boss ... reading through this forum, i am still not clear, would a 295/70r18 or 305/65r18 fit on the stock 18" rims with no level without rubbing?

Absolutely no level and no rubbing with 305/65r18 bfg ko2

TB full2020.jpg

• Like 2

Installed 35x11.5x20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers using factory wheels on my 2019 AT4.  Suspension is stock and so far, appears to be no rub.  Very tight fit though, 12.5’s would definitely rub.

0755594C-9792-40FE-9CA6-7E411BCA1408.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/13/2020 at 3:11 PM, J2Jones said:

Installed 35x11.5x20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers using factory wheels on my 2019 AT4.  Suspension is stock and so far, appears to be no rub.  Very tight fit though, 12.5’s would definitely rub.

0755594C-9792-40FE-9CA6-7E411BCA1408.jpeg

I am considering the same tires for my AT4. Do they stick out of the fender? Any more pics?

Installed the Motofab 1" lower mount level over the weekend.  Unfortunately it did not improve the rub on the passenger side tire.  I suppose i could live with the rub or remove the mounting bracket, but I've decided to drop back down to a 275/70r18.  The 295s would work on the hwy, but allow very little room for any aft travel and I'm concerned with any potential issues once i get the wheel wells caked in mud and ice.  I cant really see how folks are fitting 35s or anything wider than 11.5 on stock AT4s without rubbing - but i suppose all trucks may be a little different.  

Popedecoys.  Where is yours rubbing?  Just curious.  I have found a minor rub, on my drivers side only at full lock to the right backing up.  I haven’t had any rub going forward but I know it’s very close.  Trying to decide whether to install the 1” motofab spacers I purchased.  I went with 11.50’s and stock rims in trying to avoid any rubbing and agree,  no way anything wider, or with more poke would fit on my vehicle without rubbing.

4 hours ago, Watson8830 said:

I am considering the same tires for my AT4. Do they stick out of the fender? Any more pics?

About the same as oem  tires.

EE76FB90-8B60-441B-A873-0C4BC854E581.jpeg

Edited by J2Jones
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, J2Jones said:

About the same as oem  tires.

EE76FB90-8B60-441B-A873-0C4BC854E581.jpeg

The 295s stick out maybe .25".  Using the OEM 18" rims.  They are rubbing on the top of the passenger mudflap and on the fender liner at lock to the left.  Reverse seems to be worse and of course any sort of incline turning left.  It's relatively minor, but i just dont want to deal with it over time.  No complaints other than the rub with the Grappler G2s for the ~500mi i've had them on.  I hate to lose the 34s - but seems to be the best option.  If i am measuring correctly, the Motofab 1" level only raised things about .75".  I dont think it did much of anything to fix the rub.  

Even the tire guy mentioned he had put 35x11.5s on a stock AT4 with no issue...i just dont see it happening, not on this truck.  

@J2Jones and @popedecoys Just curious, would a centric spacer help bring the wheel out just enough to keep it from rubbing? or would it make it worse? I've found that although many manufacturers label their tire a specific size, they are not always true to size. 

Great looking trucks by the way!! I keep going back and forth on what to do next to mine. The tires (Ridge Grapplers 35x11.5x20 would make a big difference IMO and the CAI may help her respond better. 

5 hours ago, Erod_66 said:

@J2Jones and @popedecoys Just curious, would a centric spacer help bring the wheel out just enough to keep it from rubbing? or would it make it worse? I've found that although many manufacturers label their tire a specific size, they are not always true to size. 

Great looking trucks by the way!! I keep going back and forth on what to do next to mine. The tires (Ridge Grapplers 35x11.5x20 would make a big difference IMO and the CAI may help her respond better. 

@Erod_66 I'm certainly no expert but to me, I think it would make it worse.  Seems to me like it's equivalent to adding width and moving the outer radius of the tire farther from the axis of rotation when turned to lock.  That, in addition to encroaching on the upper control arm, is why I think 12.50's require so much more trimming to get them fit.