Owners Pictures of 35" Tires on Stock AT4 or Trail Boss

On 11/22/2019 at 1:16 PM, nicmill85 said:

Just had my Cooper STT Pro 35/12.50/20 tires installed. I do have a 1.5 inch leveling kit on the front. I have not cut or modified anything on the truck other than the leveling kit and they fit with no rub even at full lock. It's pretty tight but they do fit. Thanks for all of the helpful info on this thread! 

Truck.jpg

Which leveling kit do you have? 

how close are you to rubbing on your ball joint? 

13 hours ago, 2019-AT4 said:

there’s so much contradicting information. Take a look at this guys posts.  Did you not have any of these problems? 

how close are you too the ball joint? 

are you worried about your ball joint angles with OEM Arms? 

Not sure how I contradicted myself. I said I had no "real issues". I guess my definition of issues is different then yours. Can you mount 35's on a stock without any mods? In my opinion no. Could you mount 35's with a level kit and no issues? Maybe, every 35 measures out a little different.  I would consider the things I had to do after mounting a tire that measures 35.04x13.39 on stock wheels, side effects not issues. I put a tire on my truck that was never designed to be there. In order to do this I had to modify the truck. My upper control arm is about 3/4 inch from the tire. Maybe just slightly less than that at full droop. If it clears, it clears. My angles look fine to me, I'm not worried about any of my angles. As time passed and I hit some different bumps, curbs, etc I found I had I still had a small rub from time to time. I located it, made a few more changes and corrected. Did i cut on my truck? Yes but it was done carefully and I took a little at a time. Anytime you venture away from the way the truck was designed there are going to be issues. Some big, some small. Even replacing the tag lights with led's on these trucks will set trouble codes. Some of us can deal with that, others can't.

I got news for ya, even without 35's you truck will still be one of the best looking trucks ever designed. For each their own.

• Like 1

Yeah I went ahead and ordered 1.25" Bora spacers for all four hubs yesterday.  Didn't want a new/wider set of tires to be any closer than they are now.  Plus, if I ever add aftermarket UCA's the space will be even narrower.

Saw that someone else had done 1.25" spacers, and they work on the Trail Boss stock 18" wheels, due to the pockets on the back side of the wheels for the stock lugs to go, otherwise you have to go up to 1.5", or grind the excess off under 1.25".

Plus, the stock tires/wheels need to come out just a bit from the fender well... They seem kinda shoves back in there.

f616d93754adbf642ba0f339439c83dc.jpg5ac45d8260dd71e64bdb8113a048197d.jpg

Here are some pics of my buddies AT4 with no leveling kit just 33x12.5r18 Toyo MT tires (actual factory specs 33”x12.7”). He said there is 1/2” gap between tire and balljoint. That is pretty close but his tires are wide compared to others such as the Mastercraft MXT 295/70r18 which measures 34.25”x12” or the 295/70 Toyo Mt which measures 34.5”x11.8”.
He said there was no evidence of any rubbing. Its mainly a city/highway commute truck and occasional beach [emoji907] trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/14/2019 at 8:16 PM, Swiftks said:

Yeah I went ahead and ordered 1.25" Bora spacers for all four hubs yesterday.  Didn't want a new/wider set of tires to be any closer than they are now.  Plus, if I ever add aftermarket UCA's the space will be even narrower.

Saw that someone else had done 1.25" spacers, and they work on the Trail Boss stock 18" wheels, due to the pockets on the back side of the wheels for the stock lugs to go, otherwise you have to go up to 1.5", or grind the excess off under 1.25".

Plus, the stock tires/wheels need to come out just a bit from the fender well... They seem kinda shoves back in there.

Have you you installed the 1.25” Bora spacers yet? Did you end up having to trim the lugs? 

Edited by 2019-AT4

6 hours ago, 2019-AT4 said:

Have you you installed the 1.25” Bora spacers yet? Did you end up having to trim the lugs? 

No haven't got them in yet.  Told me 7 - 10 day build time, and I ordered them last Friday... So probably after Christmas.  1.25" supposedly fits on stock Trail Boss 18" wheels, because of the pockets on the rear side of the wheels.  Another guy on here did 1.25" on his Trail Boss, and reported they worked just fine.

Here's his posts:

13 hours ago, Swiftks said:

No haven't got them in yet.  Told me 7 - 10 day build time, and I ordered them last Friday... So probably after Christmas.  1.25" supposedly fits on stock Trail Boss 18" wheels, because of the pockets on the rear side of the wheels.  Another guy on here did 1.25" on his Trail Boss, and reported they worked just fine.

Here's his posts:

Awesome thank you! 

just installed 35x12.5x20 BFG KO2’s on my 2020 AT4. No lift or any other modifications. Rubs on the front mud flap plastic Brackets at half turn to full lock. Nothing that can’t be fixed fairly easily. 

I’m  more concerned with the control arm ball joint. I have maybe 1/8” between the tires and the ball joint. 

waiting to install the ready lift level with control arms, which apparently places the ball joint about 3/8” closer to the tire. I’m waiting on .375” bora spacers. I’m hoping that will be enough because if I have to jump up to a 1.25” spacer, I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to trim my way out of the situation due to that metal bracket behind the mud flaps 

Looks amazing  - will post pics tomorrow 

4812D237-38C3-469F-B9EC-AEB7A652500E.jpeg

189C3DAE-FEFA-439B-AE5A-5412783050FC.jpeg

BB0B9D34-02EE-473A-B69F-43CE6B2582BF.jpeg

9498F79D-776F-485F-BC14-AA4DD20EDEF6.jpeg

Edited by 2019-AT4
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 12:16 PM, nicmill85 said:

Just had my Cooper STT Pro 35/12.50/20 tires installed. I do have a 1.5 inch leveling kit on the front. I have not cut or modified anything on the truck other than the leveling kit and they fit with no rub even at full lock. It's pretty tight but they do fit. Thanks for all of the helpful info on this thread! 

Truck.jpg

Can you please tell me what brand of 1.5” lift you installed? Also, any rubbing yet at full lock or otherwise since you had these installed?  I presume these were installed without spacers, but please correct me if I misunderstood. Any help is greatly appreciated. I really would love a set of 35”s on my new AT4 to fit without rubbing - even at full lock. I anticipate adding a level, just to eliminate the factory rake. 

Edited by Lance1980
Additional questions

11 hours ago, mistaare said:

All you AT4 owners, what kind of mpg are getting with 35" tires? 

I went from 15-16 mpg around town and 18-20 mpg highway, to 12-14 mpg and 16-18 mpg respectively. 

I haven’t been on a long trip since the new tires yet but I’d say it would be around 22 mpg, down from 28 mpg. 

Can you please tell me what brand of 1.5” lift you installed? Also, any rubbing yet at full lock or otherwise since you had these installed?  I presume these were installed without spacers, but please correct me if I misunderstood. Any help is greatly appreciated. I really would love a set of 35”s on my new AT4 to fit without rubbing - even at full lock. I anticipate adding a level, just to eliminate the factory rake. 
@Lance1980 Most people running a 1.5” level; installed the motofab 1.5 lower strut spacer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, 2019-AT4 said:

Update

1.75” Ready Lift leveling kit installed. Also has the wheel well trimmed to eliminate rubbing with my 35x12.5x20 KO2s 

8286A853-8665-41C4-B8CD-72F02231206E.jpeg

Thank you for the update and pics, looks fantastic! Any rubbing on UCA’s at full lock? Any chance you could post pics of the trimming you had to do? Your previous post mentioned spacers and ready lift control arms - did you install both UCA and spacers, or just the level?

25 minutes ago, Lance1980 said:

Thank you for the update and pics, looks fantastic! Any rubbing on UCA’s at full lock? Any chance you could post pics of the trimming you had to do? Your previous post mentioned spacers and ready lift control arms - did you install both UCA and spacers, or just the level?

Thank you! 

will post closeup pics of trim job tomorrow. 

I did install the Ready Lift UCA

with their 1.75” leveling kit. I also installed the .375” bora spacers, which were definitely needed as the new arms moved the ball joint a tiny bit closer to the tire. I was already cutting it close.  

no rubbing on the arms at all with this setup. 

two pics below. One with the OEM arms before the level - without spacers.

The next pic will show the distance with the level, new arms and .375” spacer.

something to take note of. The OEM UCA ball joint has a sharp edge that points towards the tire, so if the tire made contact, it would not be good. The ready lift ball joint is rounded, so if there was minimal contact for whatever reason, I don’t think it would do much. 

Hard to tell from the pictures but I had like 1/8” of space with the OEM UCA. I think I Have about .375” of space now. I think I would REALL have to get wild to see any rubbing on the ball joint now. Even if it did rub, it’s round like I mentioned earlier and I couldn’t imagine it hurting the tire. 

B7B76A54-EC18-49C1-AEF0-F4F104D65622.jpeg

AC21C232-51C6-4002-8058-2568F8269A8B.jpeg