Rear window leak

Demon

7 minutes ago, JohnCasey said:

My truck was fixed permanently hopefully.  Buyback was completed two weeks ago when the new truck arrived at the dealership. 

Man, you endured a looong time waiting for this completion.  Good Luck with your new ride!

I am the latest victim of the leaking rear window in my 2019 AT4 with rear slider. It must have been leaking for some time now and took out whatever that control module is behind the backseat. The dealership is fixing the leaking window for free since its a known defect and my warranty is replacing the module. I have been getting several service lights come on when its wet outside. Hope they get it fixed the first time. They did say they have fixed several with leaking windows so I hope they figured out the proper fix. 

I'm unimpressed with how GM has these rear windows "adhered" in place.  It's their design flaw.  However, it can be fixed by us relatively easily.  I encourage folks to do a little DIY and follow the guides people on here have done and I bet we can fix it.

• 1 month later...

So here's my story..

I ordered my 2021 2500HD High Country diesel in March 2021, built July 2021, received it Sept 2021. After being on the HD Facebook groups I was well aware of the leaks.

A few days in I took a look at the window and noticed the water marks on the window. I'm assuming it was leaking as soon as it left production. I had to return my truck due to the brake pressure modulator fire hazard so I told them about the window.

Visit 1 - Sept 2021 - they had the truck for almost 5 weeks and told me they replaced the rear window.

One week later water was pouring in on the drivers side all over the seat.

Visit 2 - Nov 2021 - they replaced the spoiler nuts which they didn't do the first time and apparently sealed the window.

3 months later water was coming in again on both sides this time.

Visit 3 - Feb 2022 - they resealed the window again.

2 months later I noticed a tiny stain just below the plastic track. When I pushed on the track water would come out. Almost like the track had separated from the glass.

Visit 4 - May 2022 - they had the truck for almost 3 weeks and replaced the glass again.

I haven't noticed anything yet but there has only been one rainstorm. I did notice though that my cab pressure vent had been pushed out. I'm guessing this happened when they had the seat out. Also on top, the spoiler is super tight to the cab on the passenger side and about a 1/4" away on the drivers side. Its definitely not even all the way across so this is preventing me from installing the weather stripping. I dont want to bother with it though until it leaks again.

I did however buy some of the flowable silicone. I'm just concerned if I add this on my own and another leak develops will they try and deny me based on me doing my own work?

I have gone through this entire 200+ page thread and am so disappointed and defeated with this. I waited 10 years to buy my dream truck for $90k and I dont even want to drive it. Unfortunately in Canada we have no protection.. no lemon law, no buyback, etc.

This is most definitely is still an issue with the 2021's and lots of HD trucks in the facebook groups with the same issue. I can only imagine how many trucks are out there leaking and people have no idea.

I dont know what to do at this point..

Edited by 3inch06

7 minutes ago, AJMBLAZER said:

I’d seal it up. I bet you’ll never have a leak again. 

That's what I'm thinking. Its supposed to rain here till Saturday. I bought two tubes of the permatex so I may tackle it on Sunday.

Is it worth to take the spoiler off or should I leave it and just squeeze it in from the outside? I'm assuming the spoiler should be evenly spaced across the cab?

I didn’t take anything off. Waited until everything was dry and I could leave it sit for a few. Trimmed cap as small as I could still use, jammed it in, then start filling. 

On 5/26/2022 at 7:12 PM, 3inch06 said:

So here's my story..

I ordered my 2021 2500HD High Country diesel in March 2021, built July 2021, received it Sept 2021. After being on the HD Facebook groups I was well aware of the leaks.

A few days in I took a look at the window and noticed the water marks on the window. I'm assuming it was leaking as soon as it left production. I had to return my truck due to the brake pressure modulator fire hazard so I told them about the window.

Visit 1 - Sept 2021 - they had the truck for almost 5 weeks and told me they replaced the rear window.

One week later water was pouring in on the drivers side all over the seat.

Visit 2 - Nov 2021 - they replaced the spoiler nuts which they didn't do the first time and apparently sealed the window.

3 months later water was coming in again on both sides this time.

Visit 3 - Feb 2022 - they resealed the window again.

2 months later I noticed a tiny stain just below the plastic track. When I pushed on the track water would come out. Almost like the track had separated from the glass.

Visit 4 - May 2022 - they had the truck for almost 3 weeks and replaced the glass again.

I haven't noticed anything yet but there has only been one rainstorm. I did notice though that my cab pressure vent had been pushed out. I'm guessing this happened when they had the seat out. Also on top, the spoiler is super tight to the cab on the passenger side and about a 1/4" away on the drivers side. Its definitely not even all the way across so this is preventing me from installing the weather stripping. I dont want to bother with it though until it leaks again.

I did however buy some of the flowable silicone. I'm just concerned if I add this on my own and another leak develops will they try and deny me based on me doing my own work?

I have gone through this entire 200+ page thread and am so disappointed and defeated with this. I waited 10 years to buy my dream truck for $90k and I dont even want to drive it. Unfortunately in Canada we have no protection.. no lemon law, no buyback, etc.

This is most definitely is still an issue with the 2021's and lots of HD trucks in the facebook groups with the same issue. I can only imagine how many trucks are out there leaking and people have no idea.

I dont know what to do at this point..

I Know my opinion is unpopular, but I ditched that slider and havent looked back.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2021 at 1:05 PM, Kclyatt said:

This seal should finally put the leak issue to behind me and this is the same I used on top with the spoiler/cab gap. Seal gives water no chance to run down spoiler and sit on top of the window trim which develops cracks and allows water in. I could use warranty but (after 204 pages currently of leaks) the warranty is about 50/50 on correcting this issue and for me this is easily reversible if it doesn't work.

All in $16 total for 3M silicone (sealed window and 3rd brake light) and one roll of the marine seal. Total time of 15 minutes and 1 day cure for the silicone and approx. 45 minutes for the seal which seems like a fair trade vs. going the dealership route and getting frustrated, crappy work, lost time, etc.!

window.1.jpg

Did you bring that all the way down to the window or just to the bottom of the spoiler?

On 2/26/2021 at 7:27 PM, RyanbabZ71 said:

This is all I can see from my repair

10375cedf8ec3f5fc9af57ee05976a76.jpgb999e94163ea1cb3b15cd2249d318441.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So its just flush with the bottom of the spoiler? Not touching the glass?

• 2 months later...
On 5/28/2022 at 5:03 PM, Bigfoot98 said:

I Know my opinion is unpopular, but I ditched that slider and havent looked back.

How did you go about this? does the motor have to stay in the truck and cut the cables? i"m looking at a solid to put in mine.

On 8/22/2022 at 9:54 AM, Stiffler said:

How did you go about this? does the motor have to stay in the truck and cut the cables? i"m looking at a solid to put in mine.

The motor stays. The window has a gearbox and cables that attaches to the motor. Separate the gearbox from the motor  and remove the window.