Rear window leak

Demon

Brought my 2020 Denali in after I started noticing a small leak. They tried the reseal it method, tested it after 24 hrs and no good. So they called and asked to keep it another day so that they could pull out the window and replace the seal -again let it sit 24hrs before I pick it up. Picking it up today -will post results after a few days of rain.

My truck went into the dealer today.  Multiple service advisors noted at being familiar with this issue on these trucks and others as well.  I had a minor leak on one side, so this first time they just added a new bead of sealer to the top edge of the glass.  They said that has worked for them in the past on this "type" of leak, so we shall see!

6 hours ago, Steve-2019 said:

Why is it amazing, GM has done nothing to fix the design flaw.

So do we know exactly what the design flaw is?  The service bulletin seems to indicate that it’s a production mistake (not properly sealed).  Pictures here seem to indicate that it also can be the frame on the slider, which indicates poor materials used in the production of the windows.  Both of these seem to be remedied by putting in a non-slider and sealing it properly.

Do we have any better understanding of the actual cause of the leaks at this point?

The way I understand it, the entire back glass is encased in a plastic ring.  This plastic is easily cracked while installing.  My theory is any, and I do mean any, body flex will crack this plastic ring too. 

It's been April since my last update.

Quick summary

Purchased in March 2019

First leak 1 week after purchase.  Dealer reset spoiler

Second leak in Aug 2020.  Dealer remove and reseal existing glass

Third leak in Jan 2021.  Dealer remove and reset the spoiler

Fourth leak in Feb 2021.  Dealer found over-torqued spoiler bolts and damage to spoiler mounts.  Replaced all mounts

Filed complaint through lawyer to GM.

Fifth leak in Apr 2021.  Dealer ordered new back glass.  Siliconed the entire top glass. Leak tested for 24 hours in spray booth.  No leaks but they forgot to reattach the 3rd brake light so had to disassemble and reassemble everything

GM said 'Sorry' with a fat check in Aug.  I wish they had just given me a refund.

Nov 2021:  leaking again from a new spot.  And of course the entire service dept has changed over in the last 7 months and they're wanting to start over from step 1 with a 3rd party leak detection company.

I'm so done with this truck.  Anyone want it?  I'll make you a good deal.

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2021 at 11:14 AM, BamaBen said:

The way I understand it, the entire back glass is encased in a plastic ring.  This plastic is easily cracked while installing.  My theory is any, and I do mean any, body flex will crack this plastic ring too. 

It's been April since my last update.

Quick summary

Purchased in March 2019

First leak 1 week after purchase.  Dealer reset spoiler

Second leak in Aug 2020.  Dealer remove and reseal existing glass

Third leak in Jan 2021.  Dealer remove and reset the spoiler

Fourth leak in Feb 2021.  Dealer found over-torqued spoiler bolts and damage to spoiler mounts.  Replaced all mounts

Filed complaint through lawyer to GM.

Fifth leak in Apr 2021.  Dealer ordered new back glass.  Siliconed the entire top glass. Leak tested for 24 hours in spray booth.  No leaks but they forgot to reattach the 3rd brake light so had to disassemble and reassemble everything

GM said 'Sorry' with a fat check in Aug.  I wish they had just given me a refund.

Nov 2021:  leaking again from a new spot.  And of course the entire service dept has changed over in the last 7 months and they're wanting to start over from step 1 with a 3rd party leak detection company.

I'm so done with this truck.  Anyone want it?  I'll make you a good deal.

Just get rid of the slider, 400 bucks and the problem disappears

Guys remember there literally millions of T1s out there already.  I know we are here for the issues but do we have really have any real world indications of how much GM is really getting this problem ? And this is from a guy who has had his 2019 rear window leak as well 

41 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

Guys remember there literally millions of T1s out there already.  I know we are here for the issues but do we have really have any real world indications of how much GM is really getting this problem ? And this is from a guy who has had his 2019 rear window leak as well 

I know that when I was having these issues with my 19 sierra they only had me for the longest time then one day boom they had like 8-10 of them in a week including mine again