Rear window leak

Demon

7 hours ago, w4cnv said:

Add my 2019 to the growing list of leaks. Took it into the dealer and they leak tested it and confirmed the leak. Adviser said that they wouldn’t do the sealer that they were just going to replace the window. Got my truck back today with a new window. Fingers crossed it’s fixed. Strange that Safe-lite is who installed the window. 

Welcome to the club.   The dealer does not do any of the work, except replace parts that the glass companies break.

My sealer has held up so far and we have been through about 5 strong rains. Only thing is my truck smells musky when I don’t drive it for a day or so. Taking back to the dealer this weekend even though they said they “ looked “ at it last time.

3 minutes ago, Tyoder said:

My sealer has held up so far and we have been through about 5 strong rains. Only thing is my truck smells musky when I don’t drive it for a day or so. Taking back to the dealer this weekend even though they said they “ looked “ at it last time.

Check your headliner and carpets.  They could be retaining water.

On 8/4/2021 at 7:54 AM, Tyoder said:

Probably wet beneath the carpet.  Once it gets under the carpet, it'll take months to dry unless the carpet is physically pulled up and dried.   Most places that dry them will remove the seat (if necessary), prop up the carpet with a 4x4 or something, and put a fan on it overnight.   Then hit it with Lysol when it's dry.  

If it's wet beneath the carpet and this isn't done, you can run your hand under it next month and it'll still be damp. 

On 8/3/2021 at 11:31 PM, w4cnv said:

Add my 2019 to the growing list of leaks. Took it into the dealer and they leak tested it and confirmed the leak. Adviser said that they wouldn’t do the sealer that they were just going to replace the window. Got my truck back today with a new window. Fingers crossed it’s fixed. Strange that Safe-lite is who installed the window. 

Why is that strange?   

I just got mine back from visit #5. They replaced the real window for the 2nd time and did a bunch of sealing not mentioned in any of the TSB/PIP's. I haven't had a chance to wash it yet to see if it fixed it.

On 11/14/2018 at 7:31 AM, Demon said:

Just a heads up to all the other 2019 owners out there.  Last night I noticed water on the top on the back seat on the passenger side and my rear window is leaking.  It looks to be coming from the area around the sliding window rail.  I spoke with the dealership last night and will be dropping it off today for them to fix.  I'm not really pissed off about it because this is the kind of stuff that happens when you buy the first model year of a new design but I just wanted to give you guys a heads up on something to look out for.

So I have had my Sierra 1500 for almost two years and have 42K on it.  I usually drive by myself and it was not until recently that my Daughter sat in the back seat on a road trip during a driving rainstorm, she said her hair was getting all wet.  I pulled over and noticed water dripping from the rear window slider track.  Looks like the headliner is stained as well and appears it's been leaking a long time.  

I took to the dealer and they said it's going to cost me hundreds of dollars to fix as there is a bulletin and I'm out of the manufacturer warranty.  They said it's clearly a manufacturer defect but I'm past the warranty and they"ll make no concessions.  I do have an extended warranty that I purchased and guess what they don't cover Manufacturer defects. So who's responsible for manufacturer defects?  I guess me?  Frustrated.  

What!?  Who classified it as a manufacturer defect versus a failure of the original seal?  You need to challenge that big time.  Is your extended warranty through GM?  Even if not, definitions matter and I seriously doubt the GM would accept that this is a manufacturing defect.

Now, maybe we’d all agree it’s a defect, but that’s irrelevant.  For purposes of your discussion with the extended warranty company, it’s a failure of the seal.  This can be demonstrated by the repair bulletin.  How would that be any different than if the valve cover gasket (seal) failed?

On 8/12/2021 at 3:48 PM, Rich Kesteloot said:

So I have had my Sierra 1500 for almost two years and have 42K on it.  I usually drive by myself and it was not until recently that my Daughter sat in the back seat on a road trip during a driving rainstorm, she said her hair was getting all wet.  I pulled over and noticed water dripping from the rear window slider track.  Looks like the headliner is stained as well and appears it's been leaking a long time.  

I took to the dealer and they said it's going to cost me hundreds of dollars to fix as there is a bulletin and I'm out of the manufacturer warranty.  They said it's clearly a manufacturer defect but I'm past the warranty and they"ll make no concessions.  I do have an extended warranty that I purchased and guess what they don't cover Manufacturer defects. So who's responsible for manufacturer defects?  I guess me?  Frustrated.  

I was in the same boat as you…I had about 44k miles. I called GM direct and fussed until they covered it because it is no doubt a manufacturer defect, so the manufacturer should cover it! I just kept repeating manufacturer’s defect and safety concern(mold toxicity)each time they moved me up the chain until they said they would cover the cost. Hope this helps. 

Hey guys.  Just an update from July3rd.  This is my 4th window in the truck to leak. Its been back to the dealership 9 times total with window leak issues.  My GM Executive Customer Care rep has told me over a month ago that they are willing to do a buyback and replacement.  She is telling me this could take 3 weeks to 6 plus months.  She has called me every week since then asking me if the DMA(District Manager of Aftersales) has called me. They have not. There is also notes in her system claiming the DMA and the dealership have been talking and my dealership has no knowledge of this either.  We'll see where all this goes. I do know there are no trucks to be had right now.  The dealership gets a truck in and its either sold before they receive it or within 2 days.  It also looks like I'll have to step up to a HC from an LTZ to get the same features since they've cut several out of the LTZ line.  

On 8/10/2021 at 6:34 AM, RAYS B4U said:

I just got mine back from visit #5. They replaced the real window for the 2nd time and did a bunch of sealing not mentioned in any of the TSB/PIP's. I haven't had a chance to wash it yet to see if it fixed it.

Did my first hand wash since getting it back and NO LEAKING!  Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Add mine to the list. 2019 RST bought September 2020. Still under 7k miles. Had 2 reseal jobs at first dealer. Noticed it leaking again. Dropped it off today for 3rd attempt at a new dealer. I honestly think they can’t fix it. I wonder how much priority a replacement would be considering the shortage of trucks.

Edited by Compton

52 minutes ago, Compton said:

Add mine to the list. 2019 RST bought September 2020. Still under 7k miles. Had 2 reseal jobs at first dealer. Noticed it leaking again. Dropped it off today for 3rd attempt at a new dealer. I honestly think they can’t fix it. I wonder how much priority a replacement would be considering the shortage of trucks.

Well, they should have replaced the window after the first caulk job fails. At least they did for mine. And the replacement window never leaked.

If they can get you a new window in there and a good glass guy to install it, you should be home free.