Rear window leak

Demon

New club member here. I have only made it through 36 pages of this thread so far so forgive me if any of this is redundant. 

Bought my new 2019 LT in November 2019, build date is 07/2019 in Fort Wayne. Garage kept, but has been out any many rain storms and through many car washes. Found first evidence of leak about a month ago after a ride through the car wash. I thought the high pressure pushed some through the slider seal and wiped the drops off and went on. Then during the Christmas break was out with daughter and son-in-law and it was raining. Son says water just dripped on us. Inspected and found a lot more water than from the previous car wash. Looking close and pushing up on the headliner, I could see cracks. 16 of them in fact. I was at 32,350 miles so called dealer the next day. They told me to plan on dropping it off because they would have to remove parts to diagnose. While waiting on the appointment, I started researching and found the TSB and this forum. I let the dealer know when I dropped it off about the TSB and they were aware. They called me back that afternoon and told me the truck was ready. I asked what was done and they told me they had replaced the upper guide (which was not true) and applied seam sealant according to TSB and resealed the spoiler. They said do not go through a car wash for 24 hours. I asked about the confidence level that this permanently fixed the issue and was assured as they were aware of the issue and had experience with it.   They were very professional to work with and did a fairly   clean job (no scratches, broken parts, dirty fingerprints, etc).  However, when I took a good light for a close inspection when I returned home I did notice very slight water stains in the corners of the headliner and one arch off the very back. Not noticeable without a bright light. 

It rained some yesterday (two days after repair) so I backed the truck out from under the garage and let it sit out all day. No leaks. I’m just concerned about the longevity of this bandaid fix and it blows a hole in this only affecting early builds. 

I called service manager to discuss the stains and concerns and he did state replacing the headliner would not be an issue, but he could only do what GM states and could not replace the rear window unless it leaks again. Fingers cross,

LTownerinSC

On 12/22/2021 at 3:58 PM, bfontenot9 said:

Is the new solid glass still holding up to no leaks? Any advice on getting this done? 

All good, I’d find a local glass shop and have them do it.

They had it done in a few hours after verifying the window was leaking, they just wanted to make sure that it was indeed the window in case it was something else.

Just tell them you want the solid tinted defrosting glass for your truck, they all fit each other, they can leave the existing motor and related parts just don’t go running the switch and it’ll be fine. The slider has a cable assembly that goes on the motor so all they have to do is slide it off. They have to drop the side seatbelt covers for the wiring for the defroster and the seats for the motor, easy install once that’s done, no need to remove the spoiler.

1 hour ago, Bigfoot98 said:

All good, I’d find a local glass shop and have them do it.

They had it done in a few hours after verifying the window was leaking, they just wanted to make sure that it was indeed the window in case it was something else.

Just tell them you want the solid tinted defrosting glass for your truck, they all fit each other, they can leave the existing motor and related parts just don’t go running the switch and it’ll be fine. The slider has a cable assembly that goes on the motor so all they have to do is slide it off. They have to drop the side seatbelt covers for the wiring for the defroster and the seats for the motor, easy install once that’s done, no need to remove the spoiler.

Thank you! Glass guy came look at mine last week and is ordering the solid glass for mine. Can’t wait to hopefully put this issue to rest! 

• 2 weeks later...

To comment on the 2500s, I came over to this forum because there is way more information on the leaking windows. I have a 2020 Sierra 2500 and the rear window first started leaking at 20,000 miles. The dealership sealed it but a year later, it has started leaking again. The sealant does not appear to be a long term fix.

• 3 weeks later...

19 GMC Sierra AT4 here.  Had the leak, took it to the dealer and they seem to have done a good job fixing it from a leaking perspective.  My problem now is the noise from what I’m guessing is the spoiler.  In the cold temps it cracks and pops like crazy.  No difference in noise when going over bumps, etc, just temperature fluctuations.  It’s driving me crazy.  Going in to the dealer in March, will have them look, as I’m still under warranty.

Mostly  wondering if anyone else had this happen, and what the fix was.

thanks

2 hours ago, wvmountaineers said:

19 GMC Sierra AT4 here.  Had the leak, took it to the dealer and they seem to have done a good job fixing it from a leaking perspective.  My problem now is the noise from what I’m guessing is the spoiler.  In the cold temps it cracks and pops like crazy.  No difference in noise when going over bumps, etc, just temperature fluctuations.  It’s driving me crazy.  Going in to the dealer in March, will have them look, as I’m still under warranty.

Mostly  wondering if anyone else had this happen, and what the fix was.

thanks

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=14435

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

My 2020 had the sealant applied a year ago and it has now failed, made a real mess of the headliner.   The dealer said the plastic window frame is cracked this time so we're waiting on a window and headliner.  I am driving around with rags on the top of the back seat when it rains, what a joke, my CJ is more watertight.