Rear window leak

Demon

Anyone that used flowable silicone have there slider glued tight as silicon flowed into a large crack?

my wife’s truck has one large crack in the frame. Probably a .030-.045” wide in the lower face on the inside. We live in a fairly dry climate so she has been dragging her feet on what to do (typical for her)…. Last thing I would want is to have that sealer flow in that large crack and glue the slider solid.

On hers I was seriously considering cleaning the track best I could and just use Permatex flowable window sealer without removing the spoiler…... If did it like mine and remove the spoiler I would just put one layer of premium GE silicone first to prevent it from flowing into the large crack.

Maybe the silicone can’t get to the glass…..? Not sure….

Thoughts???

Edited by DHBWA

No issues with mine and no one has reported that issue that I've seen in the past several years.

Not saying it can't happen, but it'd have to be pretty big crack for it to get through the frame and into the track.

Checked my truck after removing the spoiler and sealing the entire top and after a hard rain there was one little drip on right side. Wet right at the connection for the defroster and can’t see where it came from except that it wasn’t from the two bolts.

I cannot fathom where it could leak unless it’s at the urethane seal on the extreme outer edge where I may not have gotten any sealer….Argh

Edited by DHBWA

• 1 month later...

Well… seems like every year and a half I have to take it to the dealer to get rear window leak fixed. Noticed leak #3 this morning. 69k miles so GM does not cover and pretty sure the extended warranty will squirm their way out of it to. 

I used to buy (not lease) a new Denali (1500 or 2500 and Yukon) every 2 years but after a nightmare with the last Yukon Denali my wife would not buy GM so she went with Mercedes GLS and been extremely happy. With this leak (among a few other items), I will be switching to… was a life long GMC customer since 1998….

Edited by EXSlider400

1 hour ago, EXSlider400 said:

Well… seems like every year and a half I have to take it to the dealer to get rear window leak fixed. Noticed leak #3 this morning. 69k miles so GM does not cover and pretty sure the extended warranty will squirm their way out of it to. 

I used to buy (not lease) a new Denali (1500 or 2500 and Yukon) every 2 years but after a nightmare with the last Yukon Denali my wife would not buy GM so she went with Mercedes GLS and been extremely happy. With this leak (among a few other items), I will be switching to… was a life long GMC customer since 1998….

You still have leaks with a solid rear window? 

• 3 weeks later...

I am having my rear slider replaced today.  It has at least 3 cracks in the plastic frame.  My insurance policy has glass coverage and is covering the replacement.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The good thing is that water is no longer leaking down my rear window after the at-home service bulletin fix.  The bad part is that I have a new dark line in my headliner around the same place where a small amount of water is still coming through at times.  Since its only a small amount of water, I guess I'm just going to let it happen and clean the water line on the head liner every year or so, hoping the leak doesn't get any worse.

Try sealing the spoiler over the window?  I got pissed a while back and just put some super duper caulk stuff I had for some other job in the leading edge of the spoiler and the only sign of a leak I've had was in a crazy hard rain we had a few weeks ago where the rain was coming down sideways straight at my rear window.  I found where the water got through, there's a small divot in the sealant I put there, and got a new tube to fill that spot.

46 minutes ago, AJMBLAZER said:

Try sealing the spoiler over the window?  I got pissed a while back and just put some super duper caulk stuff I had for some other job in the leading edge of the spoiler and the only sign of a leak I've had was in a crazy hard rain we had a few weeks ago where the rain was coming down sideways straight at my rear window.  I found where the water got through, there's a small divot in the sealant I put there, and got a new tube to fill that spot.

Did you happen to take any photos?  My leak is so minor that I’m not in anyway excited about taking that headliner down again.  I cut my fingers on the fiberglass edge and pulled the one of the clips off during the first round.  Luckily I had a hot glue gun lying around when that happened and a little luck to eyeball assemble it back in the perfect spot.   Ugh. 

Stand in the bed, facing the front. Identify space between spoiler’s front edge and cab. Caulk/seal. 

Mine’s not pretty but it works.

A poster on here had a link to some self adhesive weather seal from Lowe’s he used and had pictures. When I went to do the same the gap between my spoiler and cab was much tighter and the weather seal wouldn’t fit. Hence the caulk. 

• Like 1