Rear window leak

Demon

They told me yesterday it would be ready this afternoon. Today came and gone and no update on the glass replacement. I called after work and only one guy was there and said he couldn't find the paperwork or the keys and to call back tomorrow. WTF?!?!?!

Mine is going back in at 0700 tomorrow. Had the sealant applied on 26 December, so we will see what my dealer tries to tell me. When I went in the first time, the service advisor said he had never heard of a leaking rear window. This at one of the largest volume dealers in the country. ???‍♂️

23 minutes ago, econometrics said:

Mine is going back in at 0700 tomorrow. Had the sealant applied on 26 December, so we will see what my dealer tries to tell me. When I went in the first time, the service advisor said he had never heard of a leaking rear window. This at one of the largest volume dealers in the country. ???‍♂️

One told me the same thing. There was a white high country in there. I casually asked why it was in and the rear window leaked. Last time I spoke with them they said there had been 8-10 that had come through leaking. They caulked them all and said mine is the only one they’ve had trouble with. 

• Like 1

The guy I spoke to tonight was all dismissive when I told him they must be slammed with all these windows. He said they've seen one or two, but what's 100 windows out of 1million and it's not that big a problem. Wait, what. ?? 

Edited by UGADawgs

29 minutes ago, UGADawgs said:

The guy I spoke to tonight was all dismissive when I told him they must be slammed with all these windows. He said they've seen one or two, but what's 100 windows out of 1million and it's not that big a problem. Wait, what. ?? 

More than 100 of us just on this damn forum.  I’ve counted.  ?

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Smitty said:

Wow that's nice!   Wow I hope you get that deal.  Would they just give you another 2019 or make you pay the difference to a 2020?

This is what it states for AZ per the Attorney General site.. 

There is a limit on the number of times a consumer must allow the manufacturer to repair the car and the amount of time the car can be out of service. If during the covered period, the manufacturer fails to successfully repair the defect after four attempts, or the car is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of 30 or more calendar days, the manufacturer must accept return of the car or replace the car with a new car.

So I went in yesterday to check the repair they did.  I asked my representative to check that it was clean and everything looked good twice.  He verified all was good and to come down.  I show up and the first thing he does is ask for my payment for the oil change \ tire rotation I brought it in for on top of the 3 recalls and leak.  I told him I'd pay after we check the repair and inspect etc. 

The actual rear spoiler \ light looked perfect, they did a great job, all seams were straight and no excess sealant anywhere, perfect!   I then open the back door and notice white grease in the form of multiple fingerprints on by black leather seats and the grab bar, very obvious!   I also looked up at the headliner and there was still a pie tin size stain very visible.  He assured me prior to coming down it was cleaned twice and all good!  On a side note my windshield had a 2 inch crack when i brought it in and now that crack is 2 FEET long and needs to be replaced.  Lovely.. 

At this point i'm pissed...   I told them I expect a new headliner and for them to test for leaks again with a hose for 30 minutes before we put in a new windshield and headliner.   They also told me they have not had anyone come in for a leak.  This amazes me, they are a huge dealership in the heart of North Scottsdale in Arizona.   

BTW - Today is day 6 in the shop.  

Looks like I will be driving their horrible Chevy Trax for a while.  hahah

Smitty

Edited by Smitty

2 hours ago, Smitty said:

So I went in yesterday to check the repair they did.  I asked my representative to check that it was clean and everything looked good twice.  He verified all was good and to come down.  I show up and the first thing he does is ask for my payment for the oil change \ tire rotation I brought it in for on top of the 3 recalls and leak.  I told him I'd pay after we check the repair and inspect etc. 

The actual rear spoiler \ light looked perfect, they did a great job, all seams were straight and no excess sealant anywhere, perfect!   I then open the back door and notice white grease in the form of multiple fingerprints on by black leather seats and the grab bar, very obvious!   I also looked up at the headliner and there was still a pie tin size stain very visible.  He assured me prior to coming down it was cleaned twice and all good!  On a side note my windshield had a 2 inch crack when i brought it in and now that crack is 2 FEET long and needs to be replaced.  Lovely.. 

At this point i'm pissed...   I told them I expect a new headliner and for them to test for leaks again with a hose for 30 minutes before we put in a new windshield and headliner.   They also told me they have not had anyone come in for a leak.  This amazes me, they are a huge dealership in the heart of North Scottsdale in Arizona.   

Smitty

So they'll be waiting on a headliner and kept you in the courtesy car? While I'm waiting on a headliner I am driving my truck. Considering you bought through Van, which is in higher end Scottsdale, I'm surprised they stuck you in a Trax.

I just came back from my attempted headliner cleaner. My service rep initially called yesterday saying it came out great, but he checked it out this morning and noticed the stain was still there and went ahead and ordered a new headliner. I appreciate that he was proactive on his end about moving forward with a new headliner. He said it should be here in 3-5 days.

A head guy/director mentioned that GM would probably not reimburse them for the new headliner and installation. I thought that was odd and doesn't seem right.

28 minutes ago, sdkraemer said:

So they'll be waiting on a headliner and kept you in the courtesy car? While I'm waiting on a headliner I am driving my truck. Considering you bought through Van, which is in higher end Scottsdale, I'm surprised they stuck you in a Trax.

I just came back from my attempted headliner cleaner. My service rep initially called yesterday saying it came out great, but he checked it out this morning and noticed the stain was still there and went ahead and ordered a new headliner. I appreciate that he was proactive on his end about moving forward with a new headliner. He said it should be here in 3-5 days.

A head guy/director mentioned that GM would probably not reimburse them for the new headliner and installation. I thought that was odd and doesn't seem right.

I can't remember where I read it in my contract, but it says in there they will put you in a rental car.  I'd look into that for sure.  I don't think these headliners can be cleaned at all, they are just hoping you accept it stained.   I was amazed Van Chevrolet (yes higher end for sure) let this kind of shotty work get through.   

I called GM back with my case number and i'm waiting to hear from my representative there now.   I'm pushing for a rear window and reminding them about the AZ lemon law.  I'm not letting this thing sit there for weeks while they figure out how to fix it. 

They have to reimburse them for the headliner, it's due to a warranty issue \ failure from the factory!  Either way, not your problem..  

10 minutes ago, Smitty said:

I can't remember where I read it in my contract, but it says in there they will put you in a rental car.  I'd look into that for sure.  I don't think these headliners can be cleaned at all, they are just hoping you accept it stained.   I was amazed Van Chevrolet (yes higher end for sure) let this kind of shotty work get through.   

I called GM back with my case number and i'm waiting to hear from my representative there now.   I'm pushing for a rear window and reminding them about the AZ lemon law.  I'm not letting this thing sit there for weeks while they figure out how to fix it. 

They have to reimburse them for the headliner, it's due to a warranty issue \ failure from the factory!  Either way, not your problem..  

Ya they put me in an equinox, but I returned it today while I wait for a headliner to be delivered.

• Like 1

Smitty
If your front windshield needs replacing that is the perfect time to replace the headliner with the window out.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 7:58 PM, econometrics said:

Took the truck in and showed the adviser the headliner stain, and the leak. (Ironically, it had rained early this AM). 

I quizzed him about the next steps and he seemed totally clueless. He mentioned having the tech look at it and re-test. He knew nothing about the option for a new window. 

They ended up not having a loaner, so I rescheduled, kept my truck and left. 

Got to my office and called the other big GM dealer 30 min away. The adviser on the phone was 10x more familiar with the leaking window and walked me through their game plan to fix mine after the first dealer didn’t get it done with the re-seal. 

So I’m taking my truck there in a couple weeks when I can get a loaner. Feeling much more confident they’ll handle this correctly. ????

Edited by econometrics
  • Like 1

Picked up the truck last night after the window swap. They assured me everything was QA'd. It was dark and raining, so really only got to review the inside. They scratched the nuts out of both pillars. I told the advisor to order new plastic for each side and I'd come back for them to replace. He said he'd have to review with his manager in the morning and took pics. I don't understand how technicians have a complete lack of effort, nor attention to detail, and no cares about other people's property.

IMG_20200129_181120.jpg

Edited by UGADawgs