Rear window leak

Demon

12 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

Well, three weeks later after TSB caulk job and mine is leaking again. Not as bad, but a little water staining appearing after each rain. This time only on passenger side. I have towels behind the headrest and they don't appear to really get wet, but I clean the window and the water stain comes back after it rains. Not sure if I should have a new window put in if the defect is in the window assembly itself. What's to stop the replacement from doing this too. ????

That's the million dollar question. I believe I read on here where one person who is on his second window is now leaking and Shamrock Shooter is on his second truck that was leaking but is now fixed for the time being. They tried to caulk mine twice.  The first time it didn't slow it down at all.  The second time it slowed it down a bit but still leaked same day from the dealership.  From my 26 years using caulk in plumbing I can tell you caulk doesn't seal to caulk and more is not better.  I've been waiting on a new window for a while now.  I'm currently 53 days without my truck overall.  The first caulk job took them 16 days.  The second one took them 4 days. They attempted to clean the headliner and got most of the stain off but theres still about 15% of the stain that they couldn't remove.  

7 minutes ago, JohnCasey said:

That's the million dollar question. I believe I read on here where one person who is on his second window is now leaking and Shamrock Shooter is on his second truck that was leaking but is now fixed for the time being. They tried to caulk mine twice.  The first time it didn't slow it down at all.  The second time it slowed it down a bit but still leaked same day from the dealership.  From my 26 years using caulk in plumbing I can tell you caulk doesn't seal to caulk and more is not better.  I've been waiting on a new window for a while now.  I'm currently 53 days without my truck overall.  The first caulk job took them 16 days.  The second one took them 4 days. They attempted to clean the headliner and got most of the stain off but theres still about 15% of the stain that they couldn't remove.  

You guys are so patient. I THINK, if my brand new truck sat at the dealership for 30 days I would talk to a lemon law attorney ON THE THIRTIETH DAY. But it’s much easier to play the “I WOULD“ when your not invoked. 

what year was Shamrocks 2nd truck? 

21 hours ago, Dali555 said:

I'd be curious as to everyone's build date.... My AT4 has just under 3,000 miles on it and I'm soooo hoping it never develops the leak. My build date is 9/23/2019... PLEASE, knock on wood, that it doesn't start.

Following to stay up to date on everyone....

15 hours ago, mistaare said:

I am in the exact same boat. 2020 AT4, build date 9/19, build in Mexico. I check the back window for leaks and bolts under the seats during and after each rain. I LOVE the truck, but between the window leak and brake issues I feel like I’m walking on egg shells. 

@ShamrockShooter's 2020 was built recently, too, and it was a leaker. 

At this point, there's NO assurance that any build date is safe. We used to think it was those built before February 2019, as GM said they changed window suppliers then. However, a bunch of us with build dates well after that have leakers. 

This is an issue that is going to continue on for any new truck purchased. I've said it before, but it's a matter of WHEN, not IF. Just keep watching after it rains and catch it early... before you get water and mold or stain your headliner. 

I think the key thing here is buying a truck with no back slider, if any of you are looking i would either get in writing that a new window and not some hack sealant fix will be used if the window leaks or simply don't buy one with a slider as it is clear the majority of them are defective. At this point why doesn't GM just wrap the top half of the truck with duct tape while they are at it as this sealant fix is about of the same quality imo.

• Like 1

So, like plenty of others before me in this 80 page thread, I'm joining the sad ranks of those who suffer from the leaking rear slider window (in my 2019 High Country).

I've read most of this thread and the TSB. My big question is: Is there anyone within 100 miles of the Washington, DC metro area that has had a successful service dept experience resolving  the problem via the TSB? If so, could you share the dealer name and a service manager/tech contact?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions!

IMG_20200118_122450.jpg

1 hour ago, sdkraemer said:

Just rained here in AZ. It held up on previous rains, but now I'm joining the club.

02/19 Mexico build
Vitro window

Ughcadc3c7f368e9b7a7441e83b1b8b3a01.jpg70d3ca1c2193ef42823ae0e97c823bc6.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Just brought it in to the service department. The rep mentioned pulling the spoiler and replacing the seal. He mentioned addressing the headliner at the same time.

3 minutes ago, sdkraemer said:

Just brought it in to the service department. The rep mentioned pulling the spoiler and replacing the seal. He mentioned addressing the headliner at the same time.

Was just looking at mine this morning because of all the posts here about leaks and was wondering if that spoiler is the culprit. I really don’t think it’s the window or the track but that spoiler and the seal in that location.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.... still knocking on wood on my end that mine doesn’t start...

Mine is at the dealer today getting a new window installed. I have had a very minor leak, I mean a couple of drops going down the window, nothing on the seat, headliner or carpet. They caulked the original window and it still had the minor leak. I should get it back tonight or tomorrow with the new window.

13 minutes ago, eppieguy said:

Mine is at the dealer today getting a new window installed. I have had a very minor leak, I mean a couple of drops going down the window, nothing on the seat, headliner or carpet. They caulked the original window and it still had the minor leak. I should get it back tonight or tomorrow with the new window.

It's weird to me to see leak photos that look less than a dribble, and some that look like water vomited all over the seats. Seems like a different mechanism almost. 

Just received an update from my GM Executive Service Rep that my dealership should have my rear window no later than Friday.  Then she tells me the dealership may not know about this.  I called the dealership and they have already received the rear window today. They went on to tell me that the headliner that was supposed to come in last week has been delayed by a week and they are not sure when its supposed to come in but that they hoped it would be this week. The glass people that are doing the replacement will need about 2-3 days to work it in.  I've called the Executive person back and left a voicemail for her to call me with the ETA of the headliner.  She can't seem to realize that there are two parts to this repair.  My fear now is they will put in the new window and it will leak.  Then we'll have to start the whole process over again.  

In my opinion I think the window or the spoiler or both are leaking. My window leaks a lot. But my headliner is as good as new. I think the guys with wet headliners are getting leaks at one of the many holes under the spoiler. By the way,  I'm still waiting on my window. At least I have my truck and it's not sitting in the dealership ready to be damaged. 

2 hours ago, Dali555 said:

Was just looking at mine this morning because of all the posts here about leaks and was wondering if that spoiler is the culprit. I really don’t think it’s the window or the track but that spoiler and the seal in that location.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.... still knocking on wood on my end that mine doesn’t start...

I think they both might have some to do with the leaks but for sure it has already been confirmed by several forum posters here that the back slider windows are indeed a problem with many finding issues with it's frame. I know stuff breaks but it is sealant fixes for issues like this that keep me from buying a new gm. Their customer service is out the window today and they do it their way only and it is 99.9% of the time a work around hack fix!

2 hours ago, Jamie73 said:

In my opinion I think the window or the spoiler or both are leaking. My window leaks a lot. But my headliner is as good as new. I think the guys with wet headliners are getting leaks at one of the many holes under the spoiler. By the way,  I'm still waiting on my window. At least I have my truck and it's not sitting in the dealership ready to be damaged. 

I have been following this thread for ~ 1 month.  I own a 2010 Sierra Denali, and was just about to pull the trigger on a 2019 before the Jan 2 cut off of employee pricing.  I though I should start reading some first.  Glad I did.  My finger is off the trigger for another year.  BUT...I was watching a YouTube video of the 2020 Silverado production line.  I grabbed some screen shots of the body.  I count at least 16 holes of various sizes under that new rear spoiler.

That wind driven rain at highway speeds could be getting under that spoiler and dripping down one or more of the various poorly sealed holes under it.

Very cool video 

SilveradoRoof3.jpg

SilveradoRoof2.jpg

SilveradoRoof1.jpg

Edited by obxdiver
  • Like 3