Rear window leak

Demon

Seems odd to me I never heard of (or had) a leak until the weather got cold. Now everyone has them left and right. Maybe some bad plastic window framing and cold weather, plus add some frame twist = crack and leak. Anyone in south FL had a leak?

Edited by cltsig

46 minutes ago, cltsig said:

Seems odd to me I never heard of (or had) a leak until the weather got cold. Now everyone has them left and right. Maybe some bad plastic window framing and cold weather, plus add some frame twist = crack and leak. Anyone in south FL had a leak?

Believe some of the first people to post with this issue were in FL, but those were early build trucks and probably had an even higher likelihood of leaking in the first place.

All I know...bought the truck a year ago today, no leak until August...if it was a freeze/ thaw thing, it should have leaked in April or May when we had a ton of rain...not in August when temps were stable and a light, steady shower took it out.

Wish I could make more sense of it, but you can't pattern something that seemingly happens to everyone, no matter what.

1 hour ago, SilveradoRST said:

Are there any pictures of the crack window frame or whatever the common failure point is that’s causing these leaks?  Would be interested to see.  Or is it still an unknown as to what exactly is causing the leaks?  

Here you go. Scroll down on the TSB, you'll see the crack in the frame:

https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/MC-10156903-9999.pdf

1 hour ago, gmcsierra71 said:

To all the ones who have experienced leaks, are the leaks occurring at a similar location within the or around the window?

Many have stated that only the windows that have a sliding rear window are leaking. Does this imply that the leaks are occuring around the sliding window?

Yes. Most leaks form from cracks in the plastic housing that allows the sliding window to move side to side. The cracks happen at the extreme ends of the truck. You'll see people posting and they have leaks in the upper left or right pillar. Now, there are some solid windows leaking. But in almost every case I know of - the leak in that case is what is considered a more "normal" instance of the urethane failing (same rate as every and any other vehicle.)

2 hours ago, Centrebaseball said:

Well I got mine back this week and 

1) the window replacement looks like garbage.  Caulk still along the top and multiple scratches in the paint below the window (see photos). 
2) lane assist doesn’t work

3) forward collision warnings disabled

4) radio is screwed up with message about password popping up every 5 minutes. Can anyone help with this? 

5) window makes a loud pop every time I open it. 

fuyao 43-000072 winDow.  Fairly certain that’s what was on my last one.  

told the service manager al these things and he said he could fix it at my upcoming oil change.  Freaking new truck can’t make it to its first oil change without being a disaster.  

the service manager seemed convinced he thinks the water is coming from the spoiler plastic grommets that crack.  Maybe that’s the loud noises people hear when they hear it on the roof popping? 

DUDE!!!! What the flying heck! It took me like 5 minutes to realize I was looking at OUTSIDE pictures of your truck. I almost died. ABSOLUTELY F**KING NOT. Take that crap back yesterday. They destroyed your paint.

If they give you crap - just tell them what I told them about my caulk job that looks like an 8 year old fixed it - "Ok, so you are saying this is an acceptable repair job and I have been made "whole?" Alright then, so you are ok with me walking down to the lot and doing this to all your unsold trucks?"

1 hour ago, JohnCasey said:

Never got the promised calls today from GM. They’re more than likely taking Monday off too. 

Mine called me today. She just now has "all the information gathered" for my case. She said I can expect to hear back from her on Tuesday. Little does she know they will be served on Tuesday from my lawyer.

30 minutes ago, SamDSJR said:

Here you go. Scroll down on the TSB, you'll see the crack in the frame:

https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/MC-10156903-9999.pdf

Thanks for this.  

Almost thinking if I should take a proactive approach and apply the caulking now myself before any cracks develop.  

It feels like the cracks/leaks are inevitable.    

1 minute ago, SilveradoRST said:

Thanks for this.  

Almost thinking if I should take a proactive approach and apply the caulking now myself before any cracks develop.  

I wouldn’t. If it still forms a leak even with your caulk-job (certainly possible, maybe even likely)...you don’t want them giving you any shit about it when you have to bring it in anyway. 

Just check after every rainfall. Although a lot of trucks leak, it’s not a guarantee yours will and it’s not worth any worry until it happens.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SilveradoRST said:

Thanks for this.  

You’re welcome. 

onthereel has a good point though. You’re screwed either way though. Personally you know you’ll do a better job than they will. But at the same time....dealer giving you crap.....sucks coming and going. 

I guess I wouldn’t either. I mean - it does suck your dealing with this too. But at the same time - free miles on the rental. Me and my rental have been playing avoid the pavement for a while now.....;) 

And slowly building your case to a new truck the way delays are going with parts (headliner, window.)

Well folks. Think I need to graduate from the rear window leak club. Between my 19 leaker and 20 leaker I am at roughly 15 trips to the dealer, easily 200 phone calls and 64 days out of service in the last 7 months. Add this to my 16 Silverado that was out of service 62 days with no air conditioning and the brake vaccum pump failure. And finally the countless harassment and ribbing by my f150 neighbors, coworkers and family for the 9 different loaner trucks parked in my driveway in last 7 months.

Why I still own a GM is beyond me. I fully expect the leak on my 20 to come back and my regional rep knows that if it happens again they will be buying my truck back no questions asked. Other than the leak my 20 feels like a solid truck so I am willing to give it a chance to see if third time is a charm.

This fight has fully consumed so many hours of my life that I won't ever get back. I have a wife dealing with cancer and kids in travel sports. I just don't have time for a stupid thing like a pick up truck leak to consume my time. I think I am going to start leasing trucks in the future so I really won't give a crap if it leaks or clunks or if they want to smear caulk all over it.

Thanks for all the help on this forum. Some great people on here for sure. I won't say goodbye but maybe ....til next time.

P.S. the guys at work actually have a lunch bet on how long my truck will last before it starts leaking again....lol.

Good luck to everyone.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

• Sad 3