Rear window leak

Demon

Post TSB 3/19 Ft. Wayne production and no leaks in mine yet.

Interesting looking at the photos of the body/spoiler design and sealing in the TSB and on process work on posts....one thing is certain. My truck will never see one of those hands-free car washes where they blow 300 mph air on the roof to remove the water. It is almost certain that the pressure will force it into the small area between the spoiler and roof compromising the sealant causing a leak into the interior. Same goes with never letting the dealer screw around with the spoiler in that area trying to repair the infamous popping noise.....I'd rather an occasional pop than dealing with a wet interior.

My personal opinion when taking a vehicle to a dealership is you are taking a huge risk that something will be damaged. My truck is sitting at my house instead of the dealership while I wait for a window. I would remove the cap, do not risk it. They will have to remove it to make repairs and you would be lucky if it were not damaged or even lost.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

Picked up the truck last night after the window swap. They assured me everything was QA'd. It was dark and raining, so really only got to review the inside. They scratched the nuts out of both pillars. I told the advisor to order new plastic for each side and I'd come back for them to replace. He said he'd have to review with his manager in the morning and took pics. I don't understand how technicians have a complete lack of effort, nor attention to detail, and no cares about other people's property.

IMG_20200129_181120.jpg

It seems to be the common theme here.   I really don't think people take pride in their work anymore.   I would feel like such a jerk if I returned a truck like that to someone.   I"m curious what happens with this. 

3 hours ago, Thomcat said:

Post TSB 3/19 Ft. Wayne production and no leaks in mine yet.

Interesting looking at the photos of the body/spoiler design and sealing in the TSB and on process work on posts....one thing is certain. My truck will never see one of those hands-free car washes where they blow 300 mph air on the roof to remove the water. It is almost certain that the pressure will force it into the small area between the spoiler and roof compromising the sealant causing a leak into the interior. Same goes with never letting the dealer screw around with the spoiler in that area trying to repair the infamous popping noise.....I'd rather an occasional pop than dealing with a wet interior.

I've taken every car I've owned through a car wash at some point, this is just flat out a bad design.   They need to make this right, I'm not going to change the way I use the truck.   I'll be trading in for a 2021 and hope the bugs are fixed by then.  

6 minutes ago, Smitty said:

It seems to be the common theme here.   I really don't think people take pride in their work anymore.   I would feel like such a jerk if I returned a truck like that to someone.   I"m curious what happens with this. 

Spoke to them this morning. They are ordering new pillar panels. Let's hope they go in clean.

1 hour ago, Jamie73 said:

My personal opinion when taking a vehicle to a dealership is you are taking a huge risk that something will be damaged. My truck is sitting at my house instead of the dealership while I wait for a window. I would remove the cap, do not risk it. They will have to remove it to make repairs and you would be lucky if it were not damaged or even lost.

I removed my MX4 tonneau cover for the glass replacement, but not for the initial caulk job. Didn't want to risk the cover with the glass replacement. 

59 minutes ago, UGADawgs said:

Spoke to them this morning. They are ordering new pillar panels. Let's hope they go in clean.

Good to hear they are making it right. It’s careless but I could see how it happens if the tech isn’t paying attention. The metal clips on the backside of the upper pillar trim will scratch the crap out of the lower pieces when they are lowered down and allowed to rub. 

Still amazed that these issues continue to persist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UGADawgs said:

My panels were scratched as well, they ordered new ones to be replaced next week.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, DCazares said:

I would pick up the new panels when they come in and install them myself. Less opportunity for the tech to screw something else up.

they will fix or replace again and buy me lunch. third time and my comp goes up.

6 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

Picked up the truck last night after the window swap. They assured me everything was QA'd. It was dark and raining, so really only got to review the inside. They scratched the nuts out of both pillars. I told the advisor to order new plastic for each side and I'd come back for them to replace. He said he'd have to review with his manager in the morning and took pics. I don't understand how technicians have a complete lack of effort, nor attention to detail, and no cares about other people's property.

IMG_20200129_181120.jpg

Makes me want to just do the caulking myself.  FFS.  

If you aren't going through GM customer care first, I'm telling you it's a mistake.   GM called me today for the 3rd time just to check on the status, which I really appreciate.  After telling them of the issues and experience with the dealer (Van Chevrolet in Scottsdale AZ! )they are calling them for an update.   They assured me if the leak happens after this they will "make it right" with an additional incentives and if it's a larger problem they will look into getting me out of the truck.  Please ... please document your problems with GM so you have some recourse over these dealers.  This also helps them stay on top of it if it's an issue.   

Will update when I get more information.  

Smitty

I agree 100% with Smitty. After waiting over 3 weeks for my window and all my service guy could tell me it, I don't have any idea when it will arrive. I called customer care on Friday and they opened up a case. I got a call from the dealer on Tuesday and guess what? my window had arrived. 5 minutes later I get a call from GM and they said we have a window on the way to the dealership. About a hour later I got a call from the service manager at the dealership wanting me to explain to him about the rust and corrosion, and also he told me they were working on a loaner car for me. The loaner car I was originally told, no way, since I did not buy the vehicle from them. My truck goes in Monday, and everything will be handled in one visit. Now I just keep my fingers crossed that everything goes to my liking.