BEST MODEL EVER BUILT

aha1987

For looks, I'd say the 67/68 trucks are the best. 

For durability, the TBI trucks were great for their time, and then the non-AFM first gen LS trucks were amazing.  

For collectability, 55-57 NAPCO trucks are the cat's meow.  

My personal choice would be a base model 67 or 68 K20 with white wheels, white bumpers, and a granny gear four speed.  Medium green with a white roof.  

2 minutes ago, i82much said:

For looks, I'd say the 67/68 trucks are the best. 

For durability, the TBI trucks were great for their time, and then the non-AFM first gen LS trucks were amazing.  

For collectability, 55-57 NAPCO trucks are the cat's meow.  

My personal choice would be a base model 67 or 68 K20 with white wheels, white bumpers, and a granny gear four speed.  Medium green with a white roof.  

I agree with the  67, 68... 

• Like 1

for looks......1953 5 window custom cab. The 65  big window Fleetside is a close second. And fwiw.....back then the truck could be ordered with any motor/tranny combo in the catalog. 

Don't get me wrong....the new trucks are nice. Smooth power quiet all sorts of convenience stuff. I like my '15 enough to say it may be the best truck I've ever had. But only time will tell that.

• Like 1

looks wise, aren't we all in love with what we saw when we were kids?

For me its square body or GMT400. Nothing built in the last 20 years has looked as good to me.

technology keeps improving, some bugs will always be found. I have never been into the new flashy features, so there's not much draw to the brand new vehicles. Wait till the 5th service bulletin/ recall just like the 14-15's had.

14 minutes ago, aseibel said:

looks wise, aren't we all in love with what we saw when we were kids?

For me its square body or GMT400. Nothing built in the last 20 years has looked as good to me.

technology keeps improving, some bugs will always be found. I have never been into the new flashy features, so there's not much draw to the brand new vehicles. Wait till the 5th service bulletin/ recall just like the 14-15's had.

i dunno, i was born in 75, but to me the best cars and trucks are all from 1955 to 1972.  Don't get me wrong, I love square bodies and smokey and the bandit trans-ams and TJ Jeeps even, but a 55 chevy, a 65 or 68 GTO, a 67 chevy truck, 66 chevelle, man, those are just the best-looking cars ever.  

• Like 2

Just now, i82much said:

i dunno, i was born in 75, but to me the best cars and trucks are all from 1955 to 1972.  Don't get me wrong, I love square bodies and smokey and the bandit trans-ams and TJ Jeeps even, but a 55 chevy, a 65 or 68 GTO, a 67 chevy truck, 66 chevelle, man, those are just the best-looking cars ever.  

Best looking, maybe, but many old cars drove like absolute crap compared to modern vehicles. Sure, for a weekend drive, the nostalgia might be amazing, but as a daily driver, I don't want front drum brakes. 

Edited by rkj__

10 minutes ago, rkj__ said:

Best looking, maybe, but many old cars drove like absolute crap compared to modern vehicles. Sure, for a weekend drive, the nostalgia might be amazing, but as a daily driver, I don't want front drum brakes. 

No doubt new vehicles are far more refined, safer, better fuel economy, longer-lasting, you name it.  

That said, I drove my 65 GTO for years with front drum brakes and honestly I don't remember it being a problem at all.  I kind of had it in the back of my mind that I should watch out for puddles or for brake fade in the mountains, but I had plenty of engine braking with the 10:1 compression, the 3.90 gears, and the muncie wide ratio ...

Edited by i82much
  • Thanks 1

Mechanic friends of mine seem to agree that the 99-07 models were built very well and are largely bulletproof.

But I’ve never owned one so no first-hand experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pronstar said:

Mechanic friends of mine seem to agree that the 99-07 models were built very well and are largely bulletproof.

But I’ve never owned one so no first-hand experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had a 2007 "classic" which was basically a 2006.  4.3, regular cab short bed work truck, with manual windows, 4x4, and a stick shift.  Like everyone always says, "never should have sold it!!!"

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

Look wise... it is a step toward the future.

I hope it's not a step toward the future, but a trip or fall that GM quickly gets back up and fixes.  ie...they change the way they look soon.

The new truck seems to have some nice qualities and is ok to drive, but seemed to be more of an effort in cost cutting than trying to put out a good quality product. 

I'm kinda partial to the 73-87 body styles since I drove one when I was way younger.  

Edited by SILVER SLED

my 94 1500 EXT CAB was amazing ..5.7v8 rock that never flinched . 

Truck had more then 200k miles on it when i sold it and never gave me any issues. 

Then my 2008 came and i had some small issues with it . 

Then my 2014 came and before a year went by i got my money back because of all the issues , it was a lemon 

My 16 had problems too but not as much as my 2014 gave me. 

Sometimes its luck , i dunno