Thieving Ba$$tards!

I have a 2006 Silverado Vortec Max with about 71000 miles on it and it's in very good shape.  If I were to lose it the insurance company wouldn't give me much for it and today it almost went bye bye.  They the thief punched out the door lock and busted the ignition cylinder but little did they know I had a starter immobilizer in it.  When they couldn't start it they opened the hood and started messing with the fuse box and relays.  These guys knew their stuff but couldn't figure out how the immobilizer worked.  So now I'm on the hook for all the parts I need to fix everything and they broke my hood deflector closing the hood too.  This happened in broad daylight at 2PM while I was in a hardware store.  Another helpful little tidbit is I had a dash cam running.  I got very good video of the thief and his car and plate.  They don't let us carry here in Canada so if I see him and his car I'll just have to take his legs out from under him with my baseball bat.

Does anybody have any good ideas to make the truck more theft proof on top of my immobilizer?

Suggestions appreciated!

Jim

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GMJim said:

...I'll just have to take his legs out from under him with my baseball bat...

Although this would give satisfaction for a moment, it will cost you more in the long run than your truck.

Welcome to the free world and constitutional state.

But I'm sure that you know that.

As for the truck, I think that your immobilizer is sufficient. After all, they could not take off with your truck.

so long

j-ten-ner

2 minutes ago, j-ten-ner said:

Although this would give satisfaction for a moment, it will cost you more in the long run than your truck.

Welcome to the free world and constitutional state.

But I'm sure that you know that.

As for the truck, I think that your immobilizer is sufficient. After all, they could not take off with your truck.

so long

j-ten-ner

Yeah I know but it's nice to dream about doing it!

My BIL truck was stolen with his Club on it!!!  Oh by the way 8 years later when they found his truck going down the freeway the Club was still in the truck, the thief was still using it!!!!  :jester:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, doverarjim said:

My BIL truck was stolen with his Club on it!!!  Oh by the way 8 years later when they found his truck going down the freeway the Club was still in the truck, the thief was still using it!!!!  :jester:

That is funny, never really like them clubs.

I saw a guy put it between the e brake pedal and steering wheel once. I got a laugh

19 hours ago, GMJim said:

I have a 2006 Silverado Vortec Max with about 71000 miles on it and it's in very good shape.  If I were to lose it the insurance company wouldn't give me much for it and today it almost went bye bye.  They the thief punched out the door lock and busted the ignition cylinder but little did they know I had a starter immobilizer in it.  When they couldn't start it they opened the hood and started messing with the fuse box and relays.  These guys knew their stuff but couldn't figure out how the immobilizer worked.  So now I'm on the hook for all the parts I need to fix everything and they broke my hood deflector closing the hood too.  This happened in broad daylight at 2PM while I was in a hardware store.  Another helpful little tidbit is I had a dash cam running.  I got very good video of the thief and his car and plate.  They don't let us carry here in Canada so if I see him and his car I'll just have to take his legs out from under him with my baseball bat.

Does anybody have any good ideas to make the truck more theft proof on top of my immobilizer?

Suggestions appreciated!

Jim

Sorry to hear this!  Happened to me quite often when I used to own muscle cars and a jeep.

I had an immobilizer and a fuel pump cut off switch.  So even if they defeated one, they would not get the other.  One time, my brother left the immobilizer in valet mode and they got the car started but when the fuel lines ran out of fuel the car died and they abandoned it down the street from our home.

Your best bet would be some other form of visual deterrant, like sticker or flashing dash light or seeing the VIN etched in all the glass.  Stuff like that.  But those knuckleheads, didn't even see your dash cam, so you never know.

Some alarms, like a viper I think, will alert your remote.  This guy knows a lot more than me about these kinds of things:    https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/members/doubeleive.64770/

A short duration nerve agent, dispersal triggered by an alarm. PA with a warning to stay back to protect the innocent triggered with the agent.

Yeah, can't do it but it's nice to think about it. I had a vehicle get partially trashed when they couldn't figure out how to get the stereo out of it. I hate vehicle thieves.

• 3 weeks later...

The two collectibles I care about I have collector insurance for their value. After market alarms. My daily drivers if they get stolen I don't want to see them again, basic deterrence. I even have a beater to take if I'm concerned about parking, ball games etc. I used to be a nervous reck worrying about an expensive daily driver. Nothing more liberating than driving a Camry. I mean who's going to steal that? Funny thing though it a pretty good car. I guess you could buy a nice daily driver and put a crappy wrap on it. Thought about it, the wife vetoed the idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...